Author Topic: Freespace trademark, to be bought by "Stompy Bot Productions inc." game company?  (Read 20728 times)

Offline -Sara-

Freespace trademark, to be bought by "Stompy Bot Productions inc." game company?
While googling trademarks, I did a search for Freespace and skimmed over the results. To my surprise, just 1 month ago (Aug 28. 2012) the Freespace license was requested by a new game developing company called Stompy Bot Productions. Not sure if someone already posted this.

It seemes that Interplay no longer owns the Freespace license. Exciting, Stompy Bot is listed as the owner of the license, as far as I understand that form.

Stompy Bot is soon hiring. If they indeed will make Freespace, is this a golden opportunity for HLP modders to get in touch/contact with this company?[/u] People who are capable and represent HLP should perhaps mail or otherwise call them.

While Freespace is not yet mentioned on their site, the trademark information mentions for case number 85714760:

SERIAL NUMBER   85714760
MARK INFORMATION
*MARK   FREESPACE
STANDARD CHARACTERS   YES
USPTO-GENERATED IMAGE   YES
LITERAL ELEMENT   FREESPACE
MARK STATEMENT   The mark consists of standard characters, without claim to any particular font, style, size, or color.
REGISTER    Principal
APPLICANT INFORMATION
*OWNER OF MARK   Stompy Bot Productions, Inc.
*STREET   1216 Sand Cove Road, Box 16
*CITY   Saint John
*COUNTRY   Canada
LEGAL ENTITY INFORMATION
TYPE   corporation
STATE/COUNTRY OF INCORPORATION    Canada
GOODS AND/OR SERVICES AND BASIS INFORMATION
INTERNATIONAL CLASS   009
*IDENTIFICATION   Space flight simulators; Computer game software
FILING BASIS   SECTION 1(b)
ATTORNEY INFORMATION
NAME    Raj Abhyanker
ATTORNEY DOCKET NUMBER    51929
FIRM NAME    Raj Abhyanker, P.C.
INTERNAL ADDRESS    Suite 8
STREET    1580 W. El Camino Real
CITY    Mountain View
STATE    California
COUNTRY    United States
ZIP/POSTAL CODE    94040
PHONE    650 965-8731
FAX    650 989-2131
EMAIL ADDRESS    [email protected]
AUTHORIZED TO COMMUNICATE VIA EMAIL    Yes
OTHER APPOINTED ATTORNEY    All Attorneys In The Firm
CORRESPONDENCE INFORMATION
NAME    Raj Abhyanker
FIRM NAME   Raj Abhyanker, P.C.
INTERNAL ADDRESS    Suite 8
STREET   1580 W. El Camino Real
CITY   Mountain View
STATE   California
COUNTRY   United States
ZIP/POSTAL CODE   94040
PHONE    650 965-8731
FAX    650 989-2131
EMAIL ADDRESS   [email protected]
AUTHORIZED TO COMMUNICATE VIA EMAIL   Yes
FEE INFORMATION
NUMBER OF CLASSES   1
FEE PER CLASS   325
*TOTAL FEE DUE   325
*TOTAL FEE PAID   325
SIGNATURE INFORMATION
SIGNATURE    /Mitesh Patel/
SIGNATORY'S NAME    Mitesh Patel
SIGNATORY'S POSITION    Attorney of record, CA bar member
DATE SIGNED    08/28/2012

So, something is happening! Discuss?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 05:54:16 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Freespace trademark, to be bought by "Stompy Bot Productions inc." game company?
Interesting. They're not :v: though, but an indie studio. I doubt they'll make a continuation of FS, though it's not impossible.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Freespace trademark, to be bought by "Stompy Bot Productions inc." game company?
whoa what

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Very interesting, what IP related rights if any did :v: retain?  I hope they open a dialogue with us if they do take this further.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Whether or not any future developer interacts with HLP is one thing...

But I'd almost guarantee they know about us. Any company interested in a long-lost IP like FreeSpace has surely done enough research to find HLP... especially since "enough research to find HLP" = "Google almost anything FreeSpace related".
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
this studio looks really new.
Stompy Bot is soon hiring. If they indeed will make Freespace, is this a golden opportunity for HLP modders to get in touch/contact with this company?[/u] People who are capable and represent HLP should perhaps mail or otherwise call them.
:sigh:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:19:11 pm by yuezhi »
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
They are behind the new Heavy Gear game... we shall see about what happens.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well they own the trademark. But that doesn't mean they own anything else associated with the game.

An interesting development nonetheless though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I'm BZZZZZZZZ.

shocked!

Now, a new webpage to keep under check every once in a while.
el hombre vicio...

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Well they own the trademark. But that doesn't mean they own anything else associated with the game.

An interesting development nonetheless though.
so it might not be the same game? no space sim?
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
now i may be confused as to how this kind of stuff works.... but doesn't the trademark "Freespace" belong to that disk program and not the game, thus the "Descent: Freespace" title?
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
now i may be confused as to how this kind of stuff works.... but doesn't the trademark "Freespace" belong to that disk program and not the game, thus the "Descent: Freespace" title?

The details Sara dug up specify a space simulator game.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
oh.  i read a few lines of that and decided it was confusing leagalise and proceeded no further.  woops.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

First thing I checked. :D

I assume that the Trademark on that one expired even before FS2 came out. Otherwise I find it hard for them to have gotten away with that one.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i just assumed it was the "2" that let them get away with it.  as dumb as that sounds.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Stompy Bot Productions

Axem, is that you?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So, I've been looking at the documents, and although (or maybe because?) IANAL, something struck me as odd.
The language used here seems to indicate that Stompy bot registered "FREESPACE" as a new trademark, not a transfer of ownership of said trademark. The status assigned to that trademark is "NEW APPLICATION - RECORD INITIALIZED NOT ASSIGNED TO EXAMINER", which according to Google means that the USPTO has accepted the application and has entered it into their system, but have not yet evaluated it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Also, a trademark is basically a name and a logo, right ? And not the IP rights or anything fancy like that. That would definitely not be enough to make a new FS game.

As far as we know, Interplay still owns Freespace for all (or most) intents and purposes.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline -Sara-

So, I've been looking at the documents, and although (or maybe because?) IANAL, something struck me as odd.
The language used here seems to indicate that Stompy bot registered "FREESPACE" as a new trademark, not a transfer of ownership of said trademark. The status assigned to that trademark is "NEW APPLICATION - RECORD INITIALIZED NOT ASSIGNED TO EXAMINER", which according to Google means that the USPTO has accepted the application and has entered it into their system, but have not yet evaluated it.

It also says: New application will be assigned to an examining attorney approximately 3 months after filing date.

To me, that strikes me as Stompy Bot having registered and possibly purchased (or having announced plans to purchase) the trademark, where the deal has to be legally concluded. Example given, an attorney examines if Interplay et al. wish to sign protest or hold the trademark where they may not initially have shown interest in doing so, thus a 3 month period to counter-bid or protest the purchase. Or alternately that is the date that the trademark may run out and Stompy Bot lets Interplay know that they are interested in purchasing the franchise, starting with the name trademark.

Atleast it seems Interplay's ownership of the Freespace trademark is listed as "DEAD" since 10/7/2011. http://www.trademarkia.com/freespace-75727695.html Not sure what that means for ownership as a whole.
Same for Descent: Freespace The Great War since 9/3/2010. http://www.trademarkia.com/descent-freespace-the-great-war-75390434.html Maybe the community should have made a bid before then. :P

No idea where one finds the actual patent for Freespace, I couldn't find its existence. All the trademark licenses listed in the wiki about Freespace and Interplay are listed as cancelled and not owner for over a year now.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 04:51:11 am by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Luis Dias

*popcorn*