Author Topic: Games that wowed you  (Read 23062 times)

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
Crash Team Racing was my favourite for YEARS.

Finally! Someone with class. (jkjk) But still. All Crash games DOMINATE. (Classical ones only)

Crash Bandicoot 1, 2, 3, CTR and BASH. Nothing else.
What's up?

Freespace: Amit
Forums: GTSVA        
High Scores: Natroz

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Since I've already posted in here, I might as well mention the Genesis Sonic games.  My first gaming memories involve my cousins' Genesis and the original Sonic the Hedgehog, and I'll still play through any of them at the drop of a hat today.  No other platformer came even close to capturing that raw feeling of speed, and all of the games had utterly fantastic soundtracks.  It's incredibly fortunate that I never managed to play anything after Sonic & Knuckles, since it probably would have ended in pain.

Offline eliex

Ah, that one.
I know what you mean.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
GalCiv2 is still the very best 4X game to play vs. AI in my opinion. No other games AI even comes close.
Multiplayer Sins has a draw simply due to how much more suited real time games are to multiplayer compared to turn based solution ... and I'll definitely still play classic MOO2 at a LAN even today rather than torturing myself with Space Empires heh. ;)

It has a nice AI. SOTS AI is still way better tough.

Space Empires VI was nice, but it was tedious. Galciv 2, I liked that you can physically design a ship, but it had no effect whatsoever on the combat. And the combat was too simplistic and pre-calculated.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mikes

It has a nice AI. SOTS AI is still way better tough.

:coughs: ... me thinks you need to play both games longer LOL.

There's nothing wrong with preferring one game over the other and if that game is Sots for that's fine as well...  gaming is a subjective matter overall.
 ... however and that needs to be pointed out: AI capabilities are not quite so ... subjective.

It's not necessarily a matter of difficulty either. You can give the AI 10x as many ships as the player and yeah the game will be "difficult" even with a braindead AI... and that is pretty much the whole point.
It's the varied tactics and adaptability that the GalCiv2 AI is capable that constantly amazed me. Any AI will on occasion still do something stupid, sure, the point is that Galciv2 was pretty much the first game where the AI kept positively surprising me by doing "smart things" much much more often than something stupid... and yes, that does make the GalCiv2 AI absolutely unique. Sots AI again... is functional, but as AIs go is no more or less a "stock" AI as you can find it in any other game. GalCivs2s AI is one of the games features that ate up a huge % of the games developpment time and it shows every time you play.

Seriously... if you can't appreciate the difference... then i would have to conclude you simply haven't bothered to properly compare the two.

Galciv2 has its flaws, as does any game and there certainly are games out there that have more features and longer tech trees (even Space Empires 4 would fit that bill ironically) or flashier graphics and tactical combat resulution (i.e. Sots)... but nope, haven't seen a 4X game that featured AI that was even remotely in the same ballpark. Galciv2s AI likes to do things differently and has a habit of being quite devious at times. I wouldn't call it as adaptive as a real human player, certainly not ;)... but it definitely does show just how limited most other games AI really is, similarily as playing these games with a human opponent shows the same thing.

Ironically it's also one of the issues i actually have with Galciv2. They deliberately focused on singleplayer and spent a huge amount of developpment time on the AI. It really shows in the singleplayer experience too.
Yet me and my friends are mostly looking for games that you can play together and that's something you can't do with GalCiv2 heh ;). But you gotta give credit where credit is due, and GalCiv2s AI definitely deserves that credit.

In conclusion: GalCiv2 was pretty much the only strategy game that "really wow-ed" me with its AI.
This doesn't mean that other games haven't been "fun" or "difficult/challenging"... but that just proves that AI is only one factor out of many for "fun" and "difficulty" alike.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:07:20 am by Mikes »

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I forgot to mention Master of Orion 2
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
After reading articles like these, which are amongst the funniest things I've ever encountered on the Internet, I am convinced that Mikes is correct about the GalCiv AI.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
 :wakka:

Offline Demitri

I cant believe i nearly forgot Goldeneye on the N64. Legend of a game that one!
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

After reading articles like these, which are amongst the funniest things I've ever encountered on the Internet, I am convinced that Mikes is correct about the GalCiv AI.

After reading those articles, all I can say is "wow".
And I concur with Scotty's reaction: :wakka:

That guy is the best. "Screw peace, I'm blowing up your suns."  :lol:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
:coughs: ... me thinks you need to play both games longer LOL.

There's nothing wrong with preferring one game over the other and if that game is Sots for that's fine as well...  gaming is a subjective matter overall.
 ... however and that needs to be pointed out: AI capabilities are not quite so ... subjective.

Seriously... if you can't appreciate the difference... then i would have to conclude you simply haven't bothered to properly compare the two.

I'd agree with you that GalCiv 2 has one of the best AI's I've ever seen.
I'd still rate SOTS AI a bit higher tough.

I've been surprised by both with some really clever and really stupid moves.

One thing I never did like about GalCiv was that is has quite a few exploits. And Death Stars and similar super-tech.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 05:20:54 pm by TrashMan »

Yeah, the SotS races aren't quite at where they can blow up entire suns.  They've just barely figured out fusion power and how to build 270m long dreadnoughts after all.  A Death Star is a bit out of their price range and drydock size.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline mxlm

You know what's surprisingly good? Modded Master of Orion 3.

No, really.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Do you guys have DemonStar? I thought I was the only one... :eek2:

I do. I own the 9-level eGames Special Edition and have tried out the entire game for myself once. Not something that I'll forget in a hurry. ;)

I believe those are some sort of expansion packs that you have to pay for separately, although I'm not sure.

They're standalone sequels, CP and Mobius.

http://www.mking.com/demonstarsm1/index.html
http://www.mking.com/demonstarsm2/index.html

They're slightly better because your shields are stronger. SM1 changes the appearance of your ship to something more futuristic (not by much, though) and the last boss is almost as bad as the original DemonStar. SM2 changes the appearance of the weapons slightly, as well as the appearance of your ship to look more like it came from WW2 or the FTF MiG's illegitimate son. Everything else is more or less the same, though.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 02:10:53 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
* Androgeos Exeunt doesn't care if this is a double-post. :p

Jets'n'guns - for introducing me to the Machinae Supremacy (IMO the best band evuh)

If I didn't play (and buy) JnG or tried out JnGG, I would probably spend the rest of my years whining about metal music. The fact that I don't usually do that now is thanks to the works of MS in JnG. :)
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yeah, the SotS races aren't quite at where they can blow up entire suns.  They've just barely figured out fusion power and how to build 270m long dreadnoughts after all.  A Death Star is a bit out of their price range and drydock size.

I always thought those tech redicolous even in a far, far away future. the energy and time required is just too much to be either practical or possible.

SOTS races do have anti-matter. And the thing with SOTS AI is that each race is VERY different, so the AI for every race is also different.

Hm.m...now I feel like playing GalCiv 2 again.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 07:38:37 am by TrashMan »

I thought that at the time of AMoC everyone was still in the Fusion era, even the Liir and Morrigi.  Late Fusion, but still Fusion.  It still doesn't change the fact that they can't build ships big enough to mount planet-destroying superlasers.  The biggest ships in SotS are only about as big as a Fenris.  It would be interesting to see SolForce and the GTVA fight each other in a BoE situation though.  The GTVA's massive beams and insane HP versus SolForce's lots of guns and smaller, faster ships.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Mikes

I'd agree with you that GalCiv 2 has one of the best AI's I've ever seen.
I'd still rate SOTS AI a bit higher tough.

Please take the time to compare properly.

GalCiv2 is not without flaws, but the AI's complexity, adaptability and ability for variety as well as the attention to detail and flavor, is something absolutely unique in the genre.
Sots AI is functional enough, but no matter how much you like the game, if you would compare the AI aspect properly you would come to the same conclusion as pretty much anyone does.

If you don't believe me and do not care enough to actually compare yourself, maybe you believe 8/8, it's a decent enough review site.

http://jaguarusf.blogspot.com/2006/09/sword-of-stars-review.html
http://jaguarusf.blogspot.com/2006/03/galactic-civilizations-ii-dread-lords.html

Offline Mika

Falcon 4.0 - Probably the best combat flight sim I've ever played.

Two - wilco. Probably the biggest time waster I have been doing for a while have ever had, currently I think I have something like 300 hours in that simulator. And I think I have had to reinstall it a couple of times with similar numbers... but it indeed does provide genuine shills when trying to land the aircraft with a jammed rudder and disappearing aileron controls. AAM and SAM streaks do that also, along with the RWR lock-on warning. And the SA-6 locking & guiding sound is infernal. Having been struck with an IR missile more than once, getting hit from long range with those bastards genuinely made me jump out of my seat once - and the resulting WTF just happened(?!!) was quite something also. If other readers haven't seen or heard this before, here's an interesting clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5PNhNEW-os
That infernal warning sound is audible in the clip also as a constant high pitched noise, if Falcon 4.0 is to be believed.

Other than that, Dune 2, first C&C, Laser Squad, and Duke Nukem 3D (still fun with high resolution packs) come to mind at first. Red Baron, Prince of Persia - Sands of Time, and Wing Commanders I and II were also good. Not to mention Falcon 3.0 back at its time. Fallout I and II for their feel, KOTOR I and II for introducing me to RPGs.
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
Hmmmmm games that wowed me.

The first ever game i bought was command and conquer: red alert -with my confirmation money.
Must have played that game, non stop for many months!! Thought it was great!

Other honourable mentions id include would be:

The original Grand Theft Auto
Duke Nukem 3d
Theme Park
EF2000
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.