Author Topic: Official new people thread!  (Read 229790 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Official new people thread!
Hi!

Hi.  Just got the game off steam.  Considering how much I loved games like Tie Fighter and the Wing Commander series back in the 90's I can't believe I never played this game.  Just ordered a CH Combatstick to play it with since my old Thrustmaster POS had a deadspot the side of Alaska in it.  Looking forward to trying out some mods.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Welcome!!  The people in this community are among the most helpful you will ever find.  If you have any questions or problems just ask!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Yardbird

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
    • Steam
Hola All!

I love the old games! I was an old MW2,MW3,MW4 (Veng and Mercs) ...so I know how much effort it takes to keep an old game alive and folks interested.

Just bought the game off Steam, and it would not work...luckily folks in the FS2 Steam forums linked to this jammin' site...WHEW!

just followed the instructions and presto...I am a freakin' Space Pilot!  :D

Hope to add some mods this weekend and see if the multiplayer world is alive and kickin' here. 

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
:welcomeblue:

Unfortunately multi is a bit inactive at the moment, but there are heaps of good single player mods, some good suggestions can be found here.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Multi isn't very active, but hopefully that can change with the influx of new people.  Take up the crusade!  Go to the multiplayer board and ask for games.  Coordinate among yourself and others and we can bring it back.

Offline Hammerzeit

Another new face here brought in by the Steam sale!  I played the original Freespace back in the day when it was first released -- and now, after getting Freespace 2 installed, I am unsure if I ever actually played it!  I assumed I had, but besides the cockpit HUD, nothing else about the game is ringing any old bells -- which means I'm in the unique position of FS2 being a totally new experience for me.  :D

So hello all.  I never would have found you guys if Steam hadn't borked the release of FS2 so badly that players had to find other solutions in order to get the darn thing running!   :lol:

Offline Lorric

Hi. :)

I never would have found you guys if Steam hadn't borked the release of FS2 so badly that players had to find other solutions in order to get the darn thing running!   :lol:
Ha ha. Maybe it was all part of Steam's master-plan then, to get people to notice HLP, and spread the word, and thus increase the attractiveness of a purchase... :D

Offline Karradane

Hi

Back here after many years away. Rediscovered FS2 and loving the updates. I installed from my original discs but cannot find anywhere that allows a cd free load. Tried searching on the sites and even downloaded some cracks but there only  work for FS2 not the Open_Space launcher.

Anyway enjoying the second time around with the new graphics and extra content.

K

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
FreeSpace Open does not perform CD checks.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Karradane

Thanks, I got the message re cd then just pressed continued and it worked perfectly. Cheers.

K

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Thanks, I got the message re cd then just pressed continued and it worked perfectly. Cheers.

K
You're getting a message about the CD with FSO? Could you take a screenshot of it?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Karradane

Here is the image

K

Now appears to be working ok a day after the issue.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:59:23 pm by Karradane »

Offline Kaze

• Steam
Since I registered, I feel obligated to post here before anywhere else.

Hello, anyone who's reading this. I haven't played Freespace 2 in almost a decade, and after getting it on Steam I was directed here for the high-quality mods and helpful community. It's good to see there are still fans of this amazing game, and thank you all for your assistance in keeping Freespace alive.

Hello all!
After, I think 3 years, of lurking around here at HLP, I finally decided to make an account.
Just want to say thanks to you all for keeping this game alive.
Oh, and I still have my original, tri-fold, 3 disc FS2 Install package. think I might frame it on the wall.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Welcome!!!!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline ShadowCM

• Twitter
Hello everyone, I am ShadowCM. I heard about this forum through researching the old "Shadows of Lylat" mod, and I have decided to become a member here in hopes of learning how to properly mod the game and possibly make my own mods in the future. And of course I plan to enjoy the rest of the main campaign right after I finish that Ravana mission.

Offline amm0eater

• Steam
Hi! Don't let the name fool you, either I suck or I eat bullets for breakfast. Both. I've played every Wing Commander & Star Wars flight sim ever made, but no longer like SW (sadly). I also loved Colony Wars for the PS1 (the sequel was a dog :(), even had the old dual flightsick controller Sony made. Anyone here remember that? I'm also a Trekker, Browncoat, an N7 and a Cylon (probably). 

Anyway, Ive been starving for GOOD space combat sims and Freespace 2 on GOG brought me here!

If anyone has recommendations for other great space combat sims or suggestions for a good USB flight stick, I would be grateful. Thanks!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
:welcomered:

@amm0eater; I was sure that there was fairly recent a joystick recommendations thread around here somewhere, but I can't find it now :(  So off the top of my head my recommendations would be:

1) Thrustmaster t.16000m; supposed to have really good precision at a decent price
2) Logitech Extreme 3D Pro; cheap & generally effective, but reported to have quality control issues
3) The Saitek X52 and X52 Pro; more expensive, but seems to be quite popular
4) CH Products range; more expensive again but supposed to be top quality

The only issue with the high end HOTAS style devices is that FSO only currently recognises a single joystick at a time, so if the HOTAS is made up of multiple independent devices (and many of them are) then you need to use some other software to combine it into a single virtual device before you can use it in FSO.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline amm0eater

• Steam
...then you need to use some other software to combine it into a single virtual device before you can use it in FSO.

Thanks for replying! As for software that combines multiple controllers into a single virtual device, I wouldn't even know where to begin. I've been looking for similar software to configure a gamepad for another game but so far I've only seen xpadder-type software that doesn't do the job. Maybe I'll need to start a thread...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 05:16:50 pm by amm0eater »