Author Topic: Bold move - planning on joystick!  (Read 1847 times)

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Bold move - planning on joystick!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-X-Joystick/dp/B001V5QHSC
What do you think?

WARNING: Im not that wealthy to purchase stuff like Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog so just forget it. I want a good joystick for as small price as possible.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Re: Bold move - planning on joystick!
I think joysticks are pretty overrated when mouse controls suit most space sims just fine, I can't comment on this specific purchase.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
It functions as well as any other cheap joystick.

I think joysticks are pretty overrated when mouse controls suit most space sims just fine
Shun the nonbeliever
SHUUUUUN
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
I think joysticks are pretty overrated when mouse controls suit most space sims just fine, I can't comment on this specific purchase.

Its all about immersion and challange. Joystick players will surely have more to say then I do.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
The US version of amazon shows that with a  4.4/5 rating, with 722 reviews.  I'm sure a lot of those are PS3 reviewers, but if there were build quality problems I think the rating would be lower.  I would consider this same stick if my Sidewinder died today.

For me the joystick is about immersion.  Maybe I could play better with mouse and keyboard, but I would feel like I was playing Battlefield of Duty Tournament in space, rather than flying a spaceship.  That's why I could never get into Freelancer - there wasn't even an option to use the joystick.  I used to use a wheel for racing games for the same reason, but once I got a family and had to share my desk there just was not room for it any more, so I use an Xbox 360 controller for those.

Too bad they don't make force feedback sticks any more (afaik - other than rumble feedback).  That adds even more to the experience, feeling your ship react to weapons firing, afterburners kicking in, missile hits, shock waves, collisions, and even cap ship engine wash. 
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
Dont watch for prices on amazon and so on. Im not going to order it there. Im just looking for model that has a good setup and VALUE, because ill be buying it locally.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Instead of the Hotas X I would rather recommend the Thrustmaster T.16000m for an entry level stick.

Mostly because it uses Hall effect sensors on X and Y axes and that makes it not only more precise, it means the electronics will last longer. Less moving parts and all that. In fact, the sensors used in the T.16000m are pretty much the same as those used in the HOTAS Warthog.

The only advantage with the Hotas X is the separate throttle, but I would rather have a stick that works well and reliably. For a more involved HOTAS rig I would recommend saving some money and getting a more expensive system instead, but as a "babbys first flight stick" I would definitely say the T.16000m offers best price/quality ratio.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
If you insist on buying a HOTAS and you live in the US (where I'm told they can be bought a lot cheaper) lot of people recommend sticks from CH Products. Sure they don't look good, but they have a history of reliability and are the only company where you can buy replacement parts for your stick.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline BirdofPrey

Unfortunately, CH are not cheap products (If you want an actual HOTAS setup at least) since you actually need 3 things.
Buying the stick, throttle and pedals comes out to a few hundred dollars.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

Offline Vrets

I've been trying to replace my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for eons. If only Consumer Reports did a flight stick section.

I'm willing to spend up to $100.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Might be though, but you could try looking for a used CH Fighterstick. New ones are available for 150$, used ones will likely be around 100$. Wear shouldn't be an issue, those sticks are built like a rock.
Unfortunately, CH are not cheap products (If you want an actual HOTAS setup at least) since you actually need 3 things.
Buying the stick, throttle and pedals comes out to a few hundred dollars.
Yeah. They're worth every cent of those few hundred, though. :) A full, new CH HOTAS costs about 400$. It's worth it, though. Those things simply don't wear out, and if they do, you can just buy replacement parts instead of a whole joystick. The plastic is actually the same one you find in actual airplanes, and the switches likely come off the same manufacturing lines as ones meant for aviation and industrial uses (and you can buy them separately as well). Not to mention the control software is awesome. It allows you to make Windows recognize all the controllers you have as one, meaning you can use the whole setup for games like FS with no support for multiple controllers (not always the case with other HOTAS setups).

Offline BirdofPrey

I was poking around last night, and actually found Amazon was selling the fighterstick for a bit less.

I do agree they are worth it, though I personally like twist sticks since my setup makes pedals a pain in the ass (and besides, real spaceships don't have pedals), and CH doesn't have one.

Still TheHound mentioned not being able to afford a Warthog which also means no CH setup.
The T-Flight is functional, but not stellar.  Accuracy is decent, though I don't expect one to last.
Next step up at around $200 is the X-55 which I don't know much about, and above that is the Warthog which is overpriced for what it is and you should get a CH setup instead.

I really hope with all these flight games coming out of the woodwork lately, some more options come onto the market.