Author Topic: 3D coat, anyone use this?  (Read 3385 times)

3D coat, anyone use this?
Hey Folks!
As the title says I am getting serious about purchasing this software for my UV mapping. It seems to be a good use for how it's done? As some of you know, making UV maps is my biggest problem and I want to get this part behind me as I have plenty of ships such as my GVF Shu Mark V Interceptor , GTF Hercules Mark V Assault Fighter previously posted here in the past just to name a few that I want to get in game.

https://3dcoat.com/ 

Thanks everyone!  :yes:
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Re: 3D coat, anyone use this?
I definitely recommend picking up a free program like Blender to learn how UV mapping works, because 3D painting programs like 3D Coat and Substance Painter heavily rely on a good UV map for your model for the materials to work properly.

Honestly though, you could just try the free trial for 3D Coat and see how you go with it before buying it outright.

Hello again :)
I went ahead and purchased the 3D coat and have been learning it so far. The main point in getting it was I can do it all in 3D coat....so far. As it stands, I can get my models into the program, create UV maps that work and also add lines, layers for whatever my heart desires. I can do everything such as creating models and creating Textures. But never was able to create UV maps that work.

So it's a slow learning process and I hope someday I'll have able to successfully have the Textures I wish to create. 

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Learning to produce a good uv map is all that's stopping me.   Now I've got something that can handle later versions of free things like blender I can spend a bit of time on it.

I look forward to your progress JH.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Thanks, me too! The more I play in 3D coat, the more I get it. Right now, I got both the GTF Hercules Mk. V and the GVF Shu Mk V successfully UV mapped. I used the auto mapping, then auto arrange without scaling to get something useful. The maps are 2064X2064 and I can add as many layers as I want. The base program for $90.00 is limited in layers (7 total) But I got the Professional version which gives you unlimited layers. You can do 3D coloring, add lines, etc all while in 3D and it shows up on the UV maps in real time.
So far, it's working alright. :) 

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Surely you only need one layer and a program like Gimp? 🤔
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Yes one layer for the UV map. But, if I wanted to make panel lines, that's one layer, if I wanted to add some service panels, markings, etc, then that's more layers. I have done many of my Textures in Corel Paintshop Pro for well over 20 years now, but I'm getting the idea I can do it all in 3D coat. Not 100% sure, but that's what I am getting out of it so far. I have used Gimp back when it was first released, but I am comfortable with Paintshop Pro.

I'm a bit late, but I'd like to emphasize that I'm looking forward to seeing your beautiful ships finally getting some textures~ :)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
What kind of savage limits the amount of layers in anykind of paid software.

Dude, purchase Substance Painter before Adobe kills perpetual licenses for good.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

I dunno, just the way they sell different levels of software? The one I do have is the professional level one and no limits what so ever on it.