Author Topic: FPS Issues  (Read 1594 times)

Offline 5thAce

So I've been having some strange fps issues when playing various campaigns. My fps has been tanking hard at some points during battle. Also every time i restart a mission (through death or manual restart) my idle fps (when there is no action going on) seems to drop, like it will be 120 fps, then 100 fps, then 70 etc, each restart

My specs are:
Windows 10 64 bit
EVGA GTX 1070 TI
I7 4790k
16GB DDR3

using knossos and 3.8.1.20181129_097eb92 build

Anything I can do to improve my fps?

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
It's not unusual for FPS to tank during a battle. Depends not just on the amount of ships but what/how many scripts/events are loading. The weird thing you suggest is that the fps progressively lowers every restart. Does that refresh if you quit FSO? If you quit and reboot the computer?

Also tho, no offense but you're complaining about 70 FPS?  :D I'm sorry I kid, forgive me, no really this is worth solving since it's weird and could get worse and you're not actually "complaining". I'm just used to gaming with a potato.

Offline 5thAce

It's not unusual for FPS to tank during a battle. Depends not just on the amount of ships but what/how many scripts/events are loading. The weird thing you suggest is that the fps progressively lowers every restart. Does that refresh if you quit FSO? If you quit and reboot the computer?

Also tho, no offense but you're complaining about 70 FPS?  :D I'm sorry I kid, forgive me, no really this is worth solving since it's weird and could get worse and you're not actually "complaining". I'm just used to gaming with a potato.

Yeah when i completely restart FSO and jump back into the mission it refreshes back to the 120 fps at idle, and then the cycle repeats from there. I should note that this isn't an issue with most campaigns, inferno nostos and Sol: AH so far seem to be the campaigns where this occurs.

:lol: As for the 70 fps, it's not so much that 70 is bad, but for instance when idle is 120 fps, battles will drop to 55 - 75 fps. When idle is 70 fps, battles can drop to like 30 fps.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
This is actually an interesting issue because both the 1070ti and that i7 should be able to rip through even most intense of battles. And I've also met some... quirky performance here and there. For example, launching Icarus from a fresh start of Freespace sometimes gives me solid 120 FPS at the start when only looking at the skybox and then 70ish or more throughout the first scene, and sometimes it's under 90 at the skybox and all the time below 60 later on, and I'm not sure what exactly is causing this.

My suggestion for you is to take some monitoring software like the MSI Afterburner or something and monitor your RAM, VRAM and GPU usage with it and each individual CPU core with Task Manager. Maybe something becomes apparent.
In my case your own problem would make lots of sense - my GTX 770 tends to get its 2GB VRAM nearly topped off, so subsequent mission restarts could hamper GPU performance, but the 1070ti has got like... 4 times the VRAM I've got? That's really strange.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 11:04:57 pm by MitoPL »
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life

Yeah when i completely restart FSO and jump back into the mission it refreshes back to the 120 fps at idle, and then the cycle repeats from there. I should note that this isn't an issue with most campaigns, inferno nostos and Sol: AH so far seem to be the campaigns where this occurs.

:lol: As for the 70 fps, it's not so much that 70 is bad, but for instance when idle is 120 fps, battles will drop to 55 - 75 fps. When idle is 70 fps, battles can drop to like 30 fps.

Right right, when it gets that low FPS is a problem.  ;)  S:AH and Inferno are intensive mods with large models/many models/big battles....

But still this should NOT happen. I have an i5 7300 and plain ol' 1050 (no ti) and I eat high settings and large battles for breakfast. What Mito says, go with that. He's got more technical experience. Hope you figure it out, fingers crossed!  :cool: