Author Topic: I need YOUR opinion  (Read 5352 times)

Offline Narwhal

• Campaign List Crusader
I finished merging in this pageall the campaigns of these 3 pages :

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Campaign_List
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/User-made_Campaigns_%28FS1%29
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/User-made_Campaigns

It looks less fancy than the Campaign List page, but it's more complete. I think it could replace either all of them, or at least one of them (just get rid of the name, which is an artefact from my first project.

Now to the point
In the FS1 User-made campaigns list, there is a lot of names of campaigns which are nowhere to be found. While they are listed on the VolitionWatch, we have no more information on them,and all links are dead (one exception : Black Horizon, for which I created quickly a page).

Even googling, I couldn't find them.
Should we get rid of them on the wiki, and add one of these oooold campaigns (>10 years old) if someone finds it back on its computer (tough chance), or keep the list as a "memory" thing ?

That was my question.

Additionnaly, what do you think of the list I made ? Don't hesitate to modify anything I did wrong ; most of these campaigns I never played so the synopsis can be wrong, or some information I give on them. Check the campaigns you've done or you're doing, specifically. Moreover, being French, my English while ok is not perfect, so feel free to correct any grammar/spelling mistake.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 01:16:41 pm by Narwhal »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Call to the wisdom of ... well ... YOU behind the computer
Hmm... Right now it's a "Bobbaou" stereotype (no offense to Bobbaou himself) which means that it's a great idea half-completed and left for other people to fix up. Get the formatting consistent on all of them and you get your medal. For now you only get a commendation. :P

Offline Narwhal

• Campaign List Crusader
Being bad at wiki, I don't know how to erase campaign.

If I had the authorisation, and knew how to do it, I would point "FS1 user-made campaign" "Campaign list" and "FS2 user-made campaign" to my list, and I would change its name to "List of user-made campaign" :)

But then I don't have this one, and I don't know how to do it.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Done.

Offline Narwhal

• Campaign List Crusader
I was also wondering if, since my list is all-inclusive, we could get rid of these pages :
Campaign List
FS1 User made Campaigns
User made Campaigns

That was part of my question, actually  :D

Offline Narwhal

• Campaign List Crusader
And thank you, too.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 01:17:31 pm by Narwhal »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I think the original time period headers should be used - text in the tables with a lighter background - as opposed to having multiple tables like you do now. The column headers should remain after each time period. I think it makes it clearer that the campaigns are all part of one continuous list that way, and it's more obvious when it gets broken up for different universes. I'm not sure if you could still do the table of contents properly that way, but I suspect you could if you used the same header.

On that topic, the table of contents could use a lot of work. Right now, "Parodies" and "Total Conversions" are inline with the main Freespace time periods, and the other TCs aren't even shown under the TC section in the table of contents. TCs should probably be at the top level alongside "Freespace Universe", since there are many people who find Freespace through them, with another "Other" section for campaigns that take place in a different universe but only mod the game rather than TC it.

So:
  • The Babylon Project
  • Beyond the Red Line
  • Freespace Universe
  • Wing Commander Saga
  • Other
    • Miscellaneous
    • Parodies
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 05:20:12 pm by WMCoolmon »
-C

Offline Narwhal

• Campaign List Crusader
Well, I just discovered how to do it   ;7

All done.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 06:03:45 pm by Narwhal »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
You could tone the blue down a little - it doesn't need to be eye-catching, just evident. It's already clear that the sections are broken up due to the headers so the different color is more of a guide anyway.

Also, when I said "The column headers should remain after each time period." I was referring to "Voiced", "Requirements", "Authors", etc. It can get a bit gnarly to understand what's what when you're halfway down the list. That was actually an improvement on the "Campaign List".

Two things I didn't think of before. One, the page isn't as resolution-friendly on lower resolutions as the old one. But since so many people are using bigger and bigger monitors nowadays, it might not be a problem, and you'd certainly have to make the list less informative to fix it on lower resolutions. So I think it's worth it to ignore this concern for now.

The other thing is that there's no download link for most of the campaigns. I think that a little down arrow button that goes to the campaign's download site, or the download page on Freespacemods, or the the download thread if there's no other recourse, would be nice. It would save some clicking. But it would take a lot of time to do it for every single campaign and there was some resistance to the idea the last time this came up (For the old campaign list).
-C

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Also, add a submenu for each campaign for the chapters of each campaign. a.k.a the 5 chapters of ITDoH.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.