General FreeSpace > FreeSpace Discussion

Is It Possible To Use The Knossos Luncher Offline?

(1/6) > >>

herkie423:
My situation is stranger than the rest of the people here. I have no direct internet access to my PC... and it is not possible. The only internet access I have is through my smart phone.

I tried downloading Knossos (using my phone) and installed it in my PC. It didn't work because it needs to be updated and the internet is required. I don't know how to install my mod and the new MVPs manually. Knossos does not advice this, this I understand.

I needed the latest FSO version and MVPs to update my mods (a complete overhaul) since my mods are already 7 years old and still using FSO 3.7.2

My Question, is there some way to use Knossos offline? More importantly, how can I use the latest FSO version and MVPs other than Knossos without the internet?

Mito [PL]:
Once set up and installed, Knossos will be fully operational offline. After that, you can manually download FSO builds and link mods to them, as well as install actual mods by just downloading their files externally and placing them in proper directories in Knossos mod library, as well as getting mod.json files for said mods from somewhere, but that's not a big concern.

But before we start fiddling with all that, let me just ask you a question - have you tried using your phone as an internet access device? Back in the day I was in a similar situation and I was using the 'tethering' function in my phone all the time to access the Internet from my PC via a USB cable. There also should be a "hot-spot" function in basically every smartphone, setting up a wifi network with access to the Internet.
There's also an issue of what does your mobile data plan look like. With how chonky modern MediaVPs are, you might get into some serious internet access costs... I've updated MediaVPs just yesterday, and it was a 10GB download. Also Knossos tends to refresh its mod list file (>200MB at this point) quite frequently.

0rph3u5:
You can download the files for each mod availible on Knossos via this page:

https://fsnebula.org/mods

To integrate them into Knossos you will have to make the appropriate folders and mod.jsons manually, if you cannot have Knossos online.

Note, that for FSO you you can only get the latest Nightly version as far as I can tell.

mjn.mixael:

--- Quote from: 0rph3u5 on May 22, 2022, 10:31:51 am ---You can download the files for each mod availible on Knossos via this page:

https://fsnebula.org/mods

To integrate them into Knossos you will have to make the appropriate folders and mod.jsons manually, if you cannot have Knossos online.

Note, that for FSO you you can only get the latest Nightly version as far as I can tell.

--- End quote ---

You can get any mod version by appending it to the URL like so.

https://fsnebula.org/mod/FSO/22.0.0

herkie423:
Thanks for the help, Mito, MJN  and Orph3us. I will try them.

I can download anything through my phone (a 1GB file takes about 10 minutes). It is also through this phone I upload my mod updates.

My mobile plan is "prepaid," I buy prepaid cards to top up my phone then use that money to buy internet data (gigabytes). Minimum subscription is 100 pesos (2 dollars) which is worth 6 gigabytes. So 10 gigs is 200 pesos. No problem.

EDIT: Oh, I don't know how to tether my Phone and my PC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version