Author Topic: Sony's Phony "fact" sheet on the next-generation.  (Read 26380 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Re: Sony's Phony "fact" sheet on the next-generation.
Yeah, that's how I'd describe it as well.

I didn't think you had an Xbox to play it on?

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
From what I've seen obviously.

I refuse to get a 360 out of pure principle.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Your loss. I have niggles with the Eurogamer review (not bringing anything new... for a first person shooter that would be true, but as a third person shooter, it does a lot for the genre), but it balances out the 10/10 that 1up gave the game.

I tend to trust Gamespot reviews the most personally.

EDIT:

Actually, I like the Gametrailers video reviews quite a lot.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 04:57:38 pm by Deepblue »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Gamespot?!!

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
!!!

Mostly, except for PDZ.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Your loss.

No, no.

My gain.
Ooooh, snap.

Looks okay, but since the story & single-player aren't all that great, and i'm not a big fan of online console play [considering my modem just happens to be the one ****ing model the 360 doesn't like], i'm going to wait a few months, or maybe just rent it.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Uh, the reviews say the story isn't original, but the single player is great, especially co-op.

EDIT:

And this is just about the coolest thing I have ever seen in a game...

The amount of movies GameTrailers has for this is just REDICULOUS!

http://www.gametrailers.com/

It's like the first 5 pages of the front catalog.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 08:47:34 pm by Deepblue »

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
What, going flush against a wall? Whoopdee-****ing-doo, Basil!

Every review i've found has spoken of a less-than-stellar singleplayer & story, both of which I look for in games I buy. It looks nice, but I like substance more than graphics, which most probably just stop noticing after the first 10 minutes.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Personally I'm not all that enamored or impressed with the hiding and popping out to shoot.

Metal Gear Solid did that three times already.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Good job missing the point. He dodged that missile by going into cover. I could care less about going into cover, but that's flawless timing.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
I wasn't trying to relate to any point.

The image just simply reminded me how much that part is a ripoff of Metal Gear Solid, and how that whole aspect of the gameplay doesn't impress me.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Ripoff of MGS? You're kidding right?

MGS isn't anwhere near as smooth moving from cover to cover. Nor did it invent the idea.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Actually it's much more smoother than Gears of War, from what I see in the gameplay videos.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Yeah, now I know you are talking out of your arse.

As far as story is concerned:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7602196&publicUserId=5345401

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Considering I was ranked 24th player out of a few million regarding the ranking in Sons of Liberty, you'll be the one doing the ass talking.

I'm sure the story may have "potential", but like the man says, the game makes it trivial. When the story is trivial, it holds no interest for me, nor should it to anyone who values their mind.

A lot of games offer good shooting. This one is just simply the newest and prettiest one.

But nothing more.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Considering I was ranked 24th player out of a few million regarding the ranking in Sons of Liberty, you'll be the one doing the ass talking.

I'm sure the story may have "potential", but like the man says, the game makes it trivial. When the story is trivial, it holds no interest for me, nor should it to anyone who values their mind.

A lot of games offer good shooting. This one is just simply the newest and prettiest one.

But nothing more.

1st - the MGS games have really hokey in game animations. This is a fact. Deal with it.

2nd - the story is trivialized because the gameplay stands so well on its own.

3rd - MGS has the most contrived storytelling of any game, and while the cinematics are great, the actual plot sucks.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Deepblue:  Hard at work earning his user title..

well, someone's got to stand up for them.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I'm reading this thread, and I'm cringing.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!

But nothing more.

1st - the MGS games have really hokey in game animations. This is a fact. Deal with it.

2nd - the story is trivialized because the gameplay stands so well on its own.

3rd - MGS has the most contrived storytelling of any game, and while the cinematics are great, the actual plot sucks.

and halo was any better?.. i mean, i /liked/ halo, but it had its own issues, MGS series, particularly one and three, had a nice epic feeling to it, Hideo Kojima has a flair for cinematics.
MGS2 had serious gameplay issues, both were, the gameplay/cinematic ratio, too much of the latter, and another was, well... raiden.

as for MGS3's plot, i think it was leaning towards playing off at 60's spy thrillers, and james bond, it was set in the cold war for pete's sake!

hell, i can tell you that Ghost Recon, as purdy and graphically sweet as it is, its story was pretty much what i'd expect out of hollywood these days..

the Release title, Perfect Dark zero, failed to live up to the gameplay of its predaccessor, actually, it looked more like a tech demo than a game when one first lays hands on it, and plays.

the only current 360 game i enjoyed was "condemned" it had a CSI/FEAR element to it.. horribly short, however, but smacking people about with a pipe makes up for it.  :P

quoting certain french people in a certain old BBC Comedy, "listen to me carefully, i shall say this only once"..
Deepblue, you take games waaaaaayyyy too seriously, they're only games for pete's sake.

the fact is, all first generation console games suck.. the real cream of the PS3's crop won't come until the 2nd or 3rd generation of games for it. same with the 360, we're only just starting to see the opening shots of the 2nd generation of games, gears of war is only one such thing..

as for going up flush against the wall, rent/buy splinter cell sometime, it's been done before.  ;)
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------