Author Topic: pof beams  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
is it possible to use a stetched or tiled pof model in place of the conventional beam system. the model would be textured with tga textures that have alpha channels for transparency. id like to be able to use animated textures as well. with some clever modeling beams could be rather impressive.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
:wtf:, I CAN'T IMAGINE SOMETHING LIKE THIS!!
Sorry, maybe I misunderstanding
:doubt:
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline RandomTiger

You cant use TGA transparrency in 3D situations, the engine is not setup to render it correctly, its effects are undefined. Ie it could look different on every card.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i thought i read somwhere in the wiki that tga alpha channels were suported. if not then what about table specified alpha? if i could use alpha in my models, i could do some really cool stuff.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 09:44:25 pm by 766 »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I think FS2 beams are the one thing that looked good enough to leave alone.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
I with Raa on this one. They DO look good and don't really need a change.

If you want to change them I can make some detailed suggestions how they SHOULD be, but no one would agree with me.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
what's the point in modelling something that, for all intensive purposes, looks like a giant lightsaber, it doesn't need modelling at all..

although, it needs a better look at the charge-up point.. and impact points..
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I don't know about that, beams look pretty good there too.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
could be a little better, but that's an art thing
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
the beams only really look good because they sound good. they actually got the sound effects right. beams in other games look just as cool, but they lack in the sound department. freespace's beams tell everyone that there is a battleship nearby. they seem more real because more of your senses experience them. its a psycology thing.

now if i could actually shape the beam on multiple planes i think i coule make some really cool effects. this idea would be used as an alternateive to 2d beams, not a replacement.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
but it would look the same. the only difference would be that the game would run slower.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I hate people's obsession with making EV4RYZING 3d.

There's some things that will a) run a lot faster and b) look a lot better in 2d.

Beams, weapon effects, explosions and shockwaves are just some of those things.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

IMHO, Beams should be left as is. They look good enough right now, plus you can easily mod the looks. Even Paint would come in handy :p

Nuke - roger on the beam sound, every time I hear a BFRed charging I just keep praying I'm not in the way :sigh:
A Seth is a terrible thing to waste. The reverse applies for Shivans.

"Look at you, Hacker... a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors... How can you challenge a PERFECT, IMMORTAL MACHINE?"
        -- Shodan, the Devil of Citadel Station, 2072 AD

-= Freshly hooked on LSD... er, DSL=-

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
It would look the same, what would be the difference?

Nothing, you say?

Well, sir, you are correct!

Offline RandomTiger

I think shaders applied to the existing effects are the kind of thing we need to use to make beams and stuff look good.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
there is alot of debate over what kind of effects should be 2d and what should be done in 3d. i personally think that the modder should have the option of using both. the current beam method is perfect for lightsaber style beams. but if i want to do something else, like a railgun type beam, then the usual method would be hellishly inacurate (believe me, i tried).

now if i could use a 3d beam, i could model a couple open ended cylynders (one for the smaller inner spiral, another for the bigger inner spiral), textured with a spiral beam texture. then model a few intersecting planes in the middle for the actual trail, and with some alpha channel textures, id get a real nice railgun beam. ive done renders of the things in truespace and they looked pretty good. and that is just the beginning. i could do som anime esque beams.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 07:52:29 am by 766 »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
AREA BEAMS - this thing would need 3D models.

I can't see why people smash an idea just because it resembles an earlier but futile concept.

Nuke's point wasn't replacing the beams: IT WAS MAKING THEM MORE VERSATILE.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 06:13:33 am by 997 »
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan