Author Topic: Getting the palette for briefing icons - but how to apply it?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Getting the palette for briefing icons - but how to apply it?
After some searching around, I figured out that briefing icons need a special 15-color palette, otherwise it will be messy. I also figured out how to make GIMP read the palette of a [V] icon. I can now see the palette via the Colormap feature, but I don't know how to apply that palette to another image (which is the first frame of the icon I'm about to make). I figured it would be possible but strenuous to note down the RGB values of each of the 15 colors to a text file and use it as a reference, but there must be a simpler way of doing it.

Can anyone help? I use GIMP.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Getting the palette for briefing icons - but how to apply it?
Hmm, I ran across some palettes the other day, don't remember what any were for though.  Or where I saw them.  Could be on my basement PC, my dying drive, my main PC...
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I also found some palettes, but they're for Photoshop. I'm a poor GIMPer.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Personally, I use irfanview for that sort of thing.....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

In the main GIMP window, go Image -> Mode -> Indexed. Then, under "Colourmap", pick "Use custom palette". Select the palette you want to use. Uncheck "Remove unused colours from colourmap". Then OK, and save as PCX.
When making an animation, I recommend to open all frames as layers and index them all at once. Then save all the frames separately again. Saves you some work that way.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
The easiest way? Open an existing icon, extract those frames, paste your image into the indexed frame, and save. It's much simpler than applying a palette to an existing image.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Here are the palettes in GIMP format: http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/myimages/FS-palettes.7z

If you are a windows user, extract them to C:\Documents and Settings\Username\.gimp-2.6\palettes\

To extract the palettes yourself:
1. Open up an image with the palette you want to use
2. Open up a palettes tab in one of your docks
3. Click on the little arrow on the top right
4. Under the palettes menu, click "Import Palette"
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:51:09 pm by Talon 1024 »
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
In the main GIMP window, go Image -> Mode -> Indexed. Then, under "Colourmap", pick "Use custom palette". Select the palette you want to use. Uncheck "Remove unused colours from colourmap". Then OK, and save as PCX.
When making an animation, I recommend to open all frames as layers and index them all at once. Then save all the frames separately again. Saves you some work that way.

Thanks. This one helped. It took me a while to get everything done correct, but it works now.