19 (7.5%)
GTF Myrmidon
14 (5.5%)
GTF Ares
43 (16.9%)
GTF Ulysses
8 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 252

Author Topic: Favorite terran fighter  (Read 97939 times)

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
Re: Favorite terran fighter
you've got bank on twist?!?!?!?!? :eek2:
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Offline Iranon

I played around with the Shivans a little using the mod Stormkeeper suggest (thanks for the link!). There were a few minor issues - modified secondaries, and apparently some modifications (Dragons having a top speed of 80 at default settings for example.

Still, I got a good enough feel of Shivan craft to say that I'm a little disappointed. The sliding was neither as fun nor as useful as I had assumed. While I knew in advance that Shivan primaries leave much to be desired (all are weaker than the Prometheus R which isn't even worth considering for GTVA pilots), I was appaled by the poor positioning on many of the crafts. And while trading hull strengths for better shields is nice when only facing fighters, it's quite a liability when having to fight near enemy capital ships.

Sub-Zero

Dragon - Not only is its manoeverability unmatched, its 3-gun bank is excellently placed so effective firepower is better than expected for a Shivan craft. It dogfights well, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who had to fight against them; the only gripe for a light fighter is the short endurance on afterburner. Looks good as well, but that applies to most Shivan crafts.

Cool

Mara - not too overpowered to be cool like the souped-up Terran version. This is a sweet craft as a standoff fighter, a role the GTVA doesn't provide for well. A blessing to any who want deep missile banks but consider an interceptor too light and an assault fighter too heavy for what they are trying to do.

Manticore - Like with many Shivan crafts, the afterburners suck so its impressive regular speed is actually relevant. While the guns are off-centre, they're close together at least.
A nice enough craft for interception duties, and distinctive enough to be cool... barely.

Uncool

Basilisk - Unexciting. Works as expected for his class with the usual Shivan features (good manoeverability and shielding at the expense of hull strength, energy output and firepower). Mostly eclipsed by the Mara in the fighter role, it benfits from its better shielding mostly when standing back and lobbing Trebuchets.

Astaroth - Why exactly the Shivans introduced this when it is strictly inferior to the Manticore is beyond my comprehension. The horrible placement of gun points is particularly jarring in a light fighter that needs to capitalise on its agility and do relevant damage with sucky primaries before someone's on your tail.

Seriously Uncool

Aeshma - has the distinction of doing nothing well. Not enough missiles for a heavy fighter, not fast enough for intercepting duties, and while the manoeverability actually rivals that of some space superiorty fighters (something you usually don't notice when the AI flies these) both speed and gun positions leave much to be desired.

I won't rate the bombers as I couldn't express my feelings without resorting to profanity. Let me just say that the Seraphim in particular was beyond bad. At least the Nephilim has its (very off-centre) guns close together so a dedicated pilot could learn to dogfight in it....

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Then I will do the bombers, based on just using the FS2 ones and making them flyable. Most of this is from playing with the stock shivan bombers in my own campaign.

Sub-Zero

Nahema - Its fast. Its well shielded. It actually has an afterburner. Its secondary banks aren't too large though, but its primary weapons placement is decent. Its like a Herc 2, only faster. Its has a distinction of being slower with all power shafted to engines, which is amusing. Notably, the only decent (stock) Shivan Bomber to fly.

Cool

Nothing

Uncool

Nephilim - Its slow, and having no afterburner makes flying it rather boring (or exciting when you're getting shot at). It maneuvers decently though. Its got a good number of primary points in a single bank, and, as noted, they are decently close together so you could probably get used to dogfighting with it, but its really not worth the effort.

Taurvi - This sits on the borderline between Uncool and Seriously Uncool. Its only redeeming quality, really, is its centerline gunmount, which makes bomb interception easy...or would have, if it could actually move. No afterburner. Well, its also flat, so I guess that counts for something. its not a big fat target like the Seraphim. If you give it an afterburner, it actually becomes a decent bomber.

Seriously Uncool

Seraphim - While this looks good on paper with 11 primary points and four missile banks, it sucks. It has a gaping hole in its forward shield quadrant making it largely useless, and it just so happens that that's the shield quadrant that gets hit the most during a bombing run. Its monstrous size makes it impossible to even dodge blob fire. The primary points are so spread out, you'd be lucky if you could get all of them to hit a cruiser. The only one that you can remotely dogfight with is the triple-point mounted below. At least that has a centerline point that aids in aiming. Oh, did I mention it has no afterburner? Not that having one would do it much good.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Fenrir

• ?
I`m playing Homesick right now, and so I`m currently spending more time in a Loki than in all the rest of my almost 10 years of playing FS2 combined. It`s starting to grow on me a little bit. Also...

you've got bank on twist?!?!?!?!? :eek2:

Where else would you put it on a joystick?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 02:40:38 am by Fenrir »

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The Seraphim is a terror in the third mission of Silent Threat; especially on Insane.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Seraphim is a terror in the third mission of Silent Threat; especially on Insane.
Why the hell would the Shivans summon that many ships to attack a few escape pods, anyway?

Maybe they have a major target practice exercise?
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Maybe they have a major target practice exercise?

:wtf:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Seraphim ? The Seraphim is a Shivan bomber. I presume you mean the Seraph, which is in no way a ****ty craft. Not to me anyway.
Seraph? The Seraph is an imaginary craft. I presume you mean the Serapis, which is a ****ty craft. To me anyway.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It's the new Anubis.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Seraph? The Seraph is an imaginary craft. I presume you mean the Serapis, which is a ****ty craft. To me anyway.
Fixed.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
What did you fix, exactly? They're exactly the same. :wtf:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Where's my Athe-

Oh wait. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
What did you fix, exactly? They're exactly the same. :wtf:
My previous post.

Where's my Athe-

Oh wait. :P
I don't really like the Athena, because of that weird overhead gun port.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
It just isn't useful, IMO. Too bulky, the configs aren't that good, poor bombs, not enough chance to use, not very useful, it's too generalized.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I don't really like the Athena, because of that weird overhead gun port.

Perhaps, but it does have the best gun setup for dogfighting in either game.

A Feddie Story

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Really ? Because of the overhead gun port ?

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Yes, tightest pattern, will hit closest to your reticule, with the two underslung and overhead guns both closely spaced. Best for bomb interception too.

A Feddie Story

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
I really liked the Athena - I don't remember if you're offered a choice between the Athena and the Herc in FS1, but I fly it at every possible opportunity.  Sure it can't carry the heaviest weapons, but it's fire is concentrated enough to make a mess of almost anything that gets in fron of it.

BTW, what's the quote in NGTM-1R's sig from?  Sounds interesting.
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

Offline Iranon

The Hercules Mark II is very close in capabilities  - the Athena can't actually carry real bombs either, and in FS2 the Stiletto is unnecessary (the Trebuchet can do its job at least as well while being a lot more flexible). All in all, I'd say the Herc II is the better ship although the Athena is more pleasant to fly (mostly due to even better gun placement and superior afterburners).