Author Topic: Shader Based Dissolve as Enhancement for Capship Explosion Clipplanes  (Read 16278 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Re: Shader Based Dissolve as Enhancement for Capship Explosion Clipplanes
Indeed; the potential cross-section would merely be there to prevent the dissolving ship hull from appearing hollow - the specific accuracy of the deck styles doesn't matter.

If you really care about it though, it makes sense to me to have faction-specific internal deck shader patterns. Terran ships could have the typical stack of decks with bulkheads scattered about; Vasudan ships might look more organic (see the Psamtik main hall); Shivans meanwhile would be all angular and hive-like (or whatever).
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Indeed; the potential cross-section would merely be there to prevent the dissolving ship hull from appearing hollow - the specific accuracy of the deck styles doesn't matter.

If you really care about it though, it makes sense to me to have faction-specific internal deck shader patterns. Terran ships could have the typical stack of decks with bulkheads scattered about; Vasudan ships might look more organic (see the Psamtik main hall); Shivans meanwhile would be all angular and hive-like (or whatever).

Again, though, don't you think it's going to look weird when ships with large internal cavities like UEF frigates or Cordi motherships suddenly turn solid when exploding?

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
<fanwank>The ship isn't turning solid, that's random debris from elsewhere in the hull that got blasted into the relevant internal cavities.</fanwank>
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
If anyone could get us geomod it would be Valathil.

There's already been some discussion in the "Visible damage on ships" thread... Pottuvoi linked to a handful of papers on the stuff.

As Nuke and I have said, stencil buffer magicks. Well, here be wizards.  :yes:

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
it can be a pre-modeled set specific to whatever ship (or species of ship) happens to be blowing up. not necessarily part of the ship model. i mean this cross section can have girders sticking out, split open decks, etc, and can be textured and glow mapped as if it was melting or whatever. you use a set so you dont get bored looking at the same cross section each time another section of ship blows up. of course they would be visible for a very short period of time and you might not even notice with all the explosion goodness going on.
stuff like blackwolf's (i think its his, dont kill me if it aint) modular girder/station pack might come in handy here actually.

still, i believe that the programatic part behind that will be a sodding mess to set up.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Again, though, don't you think it's going to look weird when ships with large internal cavities like UEF frigates or Cordi motherships suddenly turn solid when exploding?
yes, this would look weird, but less weird than them appearing to have no inside what so ever.

this problem could be partially addressed by having massive amounts of debris particles.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:47:02 pm by Bobboau »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
actually with stincil buffer majics you could probbibly apply cross sections only to parts that arent modelled hollow. if your ship had a hollow center, it should be theoretically possible to only fill those areas that are not voids. as the polygons from the interior will be in front of areas that are supposed to be filled with the cross section, all the data you need for this should be in the z buffer and stencil buffer, fragment shader stuffs.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Ya'll sound like backseat coders to me
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Both Nuke and Bobboau are coders, who brought a lot to the engine. Nuke improved particle system, Bobboau implemented animation code.
I don't see how they're "backseat coders".

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Ya'll sound like backseat coders to me

i admit that my code fu is not strong. i can do some opengl stuff, but nothing fancy, elaborate, or modern. i have done a few minor features and bug fixes within the engine as well. and i kind of loosely understand the techniques i have discussed. i however do not yet have the skills necessary to implement them. dont think of it as me demanding such and such feature. its more about stirring up discussion on techniques that may be used to improve the feature. this is more or less of a learning experience for me to have this kind of discussion with the wizards.

I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, I only implemented the entier hardware transformation and lighting engine that is the foundation for everything going on here in this thread, granted that was like 7 years ago, and it wasn't great.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together