Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305197 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
I would venture to guess that I've seen all that there is worth to see.

Seriously though that's a ridiculous statement, you've seen every series of value for the past 50 years from a country whose language you don't even speak. You're not in a position to make such judgements and there's a lot of stuff from the early days that I doubt you'd even have been able to track down yet, assuming you were actually trying, which by your own admission you were not.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
To be honest, until we see Romeo and Juliet enacted with cyber samurai and 50 foot mecha, none of us have seen everything worth watching.

*Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if there was something like that in existence....TO THE "GOOGLE"!
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well, there was a Romeo and Juliet anime, though I don't think that one had cyber-samurai.  Samurai 7, GONZO's crack at Kurosawa's legendary Seven Samurai, managed to have both cyber samurai and 50-foot mecha though. :D

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Well, there was a Romeo and Juliet anime,
Which was pretty decent.

though I don't think that one had cyber-samurai.  Samurai 7, GONZO's crack at Kurosawa's legendary Seven Samurai, managed to have both cyber samurai and 50-foot mecha though. :D
This could have been so much better. It was filled with too much Gonzoooooo.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
To be honest, until we see Romeo and Juliet enacted with cyber samurai and 50 foot mecha

Yeah, that's 08th MS Team. Damn good show.

Also, I only saw one post here mentioning Attack on Titan, wtf? That show is THE **** right now.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Well, there was a Romeo and Juliet anime, though I don't think that one had cyber-samurai.  Samurai 7, GONZO's crack at Kurosawa's legendary Seven Samurai, managed to have both cyber samurai and 50-foot mecha though. :D

I actually remember reading a Romeo and Juliet (among some others of Shakepeare's plays) manga that leaned heavily towards sci-fi fantasy. Can't remember the title of the book though.  I remember that Tybalt had a wicked cool set of armour and awesome hair.

And I just watched the 'There She Is' flash movies on Newgrounds for the Nth time. Damned good work, they are.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

The Force shall free me.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Yeah, that's 08th MS Team. Damn good show.

08th is ****ing amazing with the mecha animation and fights but my god is it derpy on the Shiro's superiors bits.

A Feddie Story

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Seriously though that's a ridiculous statement, you've seen every series of value for the past 50 years from a country whose language you don't even speak. You're not in a position to make such judgements and there's a lot of stuff from the early days that I doubt you'd even have been able to track down yet, assuming you were actually trying, which by your own admission you were not.
Thank you for your sentiments. You however do not know me or what I have done in the past.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
A bit off topic, but I REALLY wish they'd start translating some of their more 'out-there' games.  I've seen videos of some very interesting looking RPG / Tactics mechanics.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Thank you for your sentiments. You however do not know me or what I have done in the past.

I'd think by now I know you pretty well; we've both been posting here for upwards of 5 years. This "you don't know me" **** is not going to fly, Fury, I've been able to watch you far too long.

Plus you actually said where you got most of your older anime from.

A Feddie Story

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
What and how we do in the internet is hardly a representation of our private life, as you should very well know by now. I can fairly say that I don't know you and I am content at leaving it at that too. And what I said two posts earlier is how I started, which is not enough information to draw unnecessary conjectures from. Not only that, but the post was based on an opinion of what is worthwhile, not on a fact. Such a fact doesn't exist in the first place like there is no such a fact as to what books are worth reading.

Now, are we done yet? No? Too bad, I am.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Can you guys take this to PMs if it continues? This thread has been far too helpful and civil for something this petty to ruin it for the rest of us after so long.

The Force shall free me.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Not only that, but the post was based on an opinion of what is worthwhile, not on a fact.

You mentioned books. Apparently, while I was busy being conceived, some guy named Chohei Kambayashi was writing a sci-fi novel in Japan called Yukikaze with the themes of alienation, disillusionment with the military, and the mechanization of combat. It was somewhat before its time (ideally it should have come of age with the MQ-1 Predator because of its particular subject matter) so most folks forgot it. I only learned about it in April of this year. I highly recommend it not only for the relevant themes but because it's actually pretty good with its aerial combat sequences. It was highly unlikely I'd ever know this work existed if someone hadn't written a review I happened to see and look at because it had a cool airplane on the cover.

The point is that there's stuff out there. You've proclaimed in your best tone of embittered veterancy that there is nothing left for you to care about. I've watched an awful ****ing lot of people play out the bittervet routine (EVE does that to people) for why they no longer care. It's rationalization. It's not actuality. It's never actuality. There remains somewhere amid the output of the monkeys banging on typewriters quality work that neither you nor I have ever heard of. There always will. The field is too vast for a blanket, sweeping generalization to ever be true. Too vast for any single person to ever survey. To attempt either is an act of remarkable conceit.

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
You've proclaimed in your best tone of embittered veterancy that there is nothing left for you to care about.
Every recent Fury post ever?  :p
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Mebber

Watching "Deadwood" for the first time now, still uncertain if i'll like it. But i've just finished episode 2, so i'm at the very beginning. I'm also re-watching "Black Adder" for the third time or so, i love this show.

I'm not really into animes, but a friend of mine loves them. Last thing he recommended to me i actually watched was Black Lagoon, which was quite enjoyable.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I've recently finished the first season of Strike Witches. It came up when I was discussing anime-related things with a friend, and I got intrigued by the concept (and not the no-pants thing). I certainly did enjoy it, and I've already ordered the second season.

Now I'm currently working my way through the first season of Wagnaria!!/Working!!, another recommendation by the same friend (since I thoroughly enjoyed Azumanga Daioh). Another thing that I've also ordered is Ghost In The Shell 2nd GIG.

Apparently, while I was busy being conceived, some guy named Chohei Kambayashi was writing a sci-fi novel in Japan called Yukikaze with the themes of alienation, disillusionment with the military, and the mechanization of combat. It was somewhat before its time (ideally it should have come of age with the MQ-1 Predator because of its particular subject matter) so most folks forgot it. I only learned about it in April of this year. I highly recommend it not only for the relevant themes but because it's actually pretty good with its aerial combat sequences. It was highly unlikely I'd ever know this work existed if someone hadn't written a review I happened to see and look at because it had a cool airplane on the cover.
Would that be the novel that the anime/OVAs of Yukikaze is based on? I've been considering getting the latter, but now that you've mentioned the novel, I might have to think about it. I actually was considering it for the same reason ("cool airplane on the cover"), though I have seen the Yukikaze aircraft before (not in context). The Wikipedia article for the anime states that the producers had assistance from the JASDF for the air-combat scenes, so I don't think I'd be missing out on well done air-combat scenes if I try that first.

Last thing he recommended to me i actually watched was Black Lagoon, which was quite enjoyable.
I've had that recommended to me as well.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm not really into animes, but a friend of mine loves them. Last thing he recommended to me i actually watched was Black Lagoon, which was quite enjoyable.
It's anime, not animes.

I've recently finished the first season of Strike Witches. It came up when I was discussing anime-related things with a friend, and I got intrigued by the concept (and not the no-pants thing). I certainly did enjoy it, and I've already ordered the second season.
I thought the second season of Strike witches was kind of weak. But the movie was imho quite good, definitely would recommend that after season 2.
If you like Strike witches you would probably enjoy Girls und Panzer too, I recently watched that and ****ing loved it.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken