Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 40646 times)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Also science itself is different in Fallout.  In real life, radiation most often gives you cancer and kills you.  In 50s sci-fi radiation mutated you and sometimes gave you super powers.  Hence, in fallout, Radiation acts the way they thought it would.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Also science itself is different in Fallout.  In real life, radiation most often gives you cancer and kills you.  In 50s sci-fi radiation mutated you and sometimes gave you super powers.  Hence, in fallout, Radiation acts the way they thought it would.

Well in the 40s and 50s they probably thought they'd be fighting Russia too, not China.
       I mean I liked the artwork and the style, it was fresh and original, but then they start to throw down numbers like 2080 or whatever and it seemed a bit odd to me. I haven't really played any RPGs since some old Genesis ones, unless you count Twinsen's Adventure, but Fallout was fairly decent.

Radiation doesn't give you super powers in Fallout well, maybe only with one of the humorous perks. All the mutations you see are created by... something else. Play the originals to see.  :p

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
A vault with k certain number :yes: and FEV, they'sex both prominent in FO3 too.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Radiation doesn't give you super powers in Fallout well, maybe only with one of the humorous perks. All the mutations you see are created by... something else. Play the originals to see.  :p

What about Necropolis

What about Necropolis

Spoiler:
IIRC according to the Fallout Bible Ghouls are caused by the atmospheric weaker-version FEV virus sent to flight by the destruction of a research base(the Glow in FO1) When a host becomes irradiated FEV makes him a Ghoul to "save" him. The vault of Necropolis door didn't close and thus exposed the Ghouls to the virus. But that might be fanon I'm not sure if it was positively in the FOBible. In FO1 Harold's ghoulification after leaving Mariposa Military Base also seems to link Ghouls with FEV and that is definitely canon.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Spoiler:
They do mention a cancer center at Germantown. They have a terminal with logs of ground zero--Washington got the sh*t bombed out of it, and you learn that by talking to a formerly-human ghoul in Underground. They had people trying to pick up the mess in more-rural areas where looting and violence would not be so common and the firestorm would be less likely to devastate. They had teams of what seem to be nurses "camping out" in front of the Germantown police HQ, and trying to treat survivors. It's obvious that they were more concerned about fallout and radiation sickness than they were about cancer.

Anyways--the anti-FEV virus they want used on the Purifier will kill nearly everyone: meaning that nearly everyone is infected with a strain of FEV. That's good and bad--good that the super-mutants are gone, bad that everyone else who may have been exposed dies as well. Anyways... in F3, most ghouls are such only because of radiation.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Whether ghouls are radiation or radiation+other isn't actually answered in the FO Bible.  Taylor and Cain give different responses.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
Whether ghouls are radiation or radiation+other isn't actually answered in the FO Bible.  Taylor and Cain give different responses.
And whoever said FEV+Radiation was persuaded to say just radiation for F3. :P Anyways--ghouls are definitely different. I found the dialogue with the ghoul in the Underground hotel very interesting.

Well having just played FO1 I don't recall hearing anything about FEV affecting Necropolis.

Spoiler:
FEV makes people big and strong while at the same time very dumb (at least some of them), the Ghouls weren't particularly strong. Though they were of course stupid in many cases. The game at times I found a little buggy as well, like the Necros got wiped out without me ever attacking the mutants at the watershed. If it was just a case of mutant invasion because I took so damn long the refugee should have had alternate dialogue

Well in the 40s and 50s they probably thought they'd be fighting Russia too, not China.

The Chinese started to invade the Aleutian Islands in WWII. Why it's exclusively China in FO3 I don't know, maybe it has something to do with us bombing the living daylights out of Russia and only having China to fight...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
The Chinese started to invade the Aleutian Islands in WWII. Why it's exclusively China in FO3 I don't know, maybe it has something to do with us bombing the living daylights out of Russia and only having China to fight...
Remember, it's set in the future, so that probably explains it. By 2077, the Soviets had probably gone the way of the Dodo long before, just like our world, leaving communist China as the primary opponent of the US, again similar to our world. Or maybe the Soviets never existed, explaining the slower progression of atomic technology, what with atomic Fat Man still being a dominant design 150 years later with seemingly no development towards thermonuclear weapons.

The Fallout timeline only loosely ties with ours. I stopped trying to count the differences between Fallout and our world and explain them the moment I saw a '55 Bel Air parked around a Vault. Crazy world.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
Remember, it's set in the future, so that probably explains it. By 2077, the Soviets had probably gone the way of the Dodo long before, just like our world, leaving communist China as the primary opponent of the US, again similar to our world. Or maybe the Soviets never existed, explaining the slower progression of atomic technology, what with atomic Fat Man still being a dominant design 150 years later with seemingly no development towards thermonuclear weapons.
Spoiler:
In Fort Constantine (F3), there is a massive stockpile of nukes. 22 of them--all of the Fat Man design, like the Megaton in, well, Megaton. There's also a launch bunker in Fort Constantine, but I think I fudged up launching. :P Which says that some of the ideas of Van Buren seem to be recycled, or at least incorporated if you're willing to travel by foot East from Raven Rock. Anyways--I'd say China was the only viable threat, especially as Russia has been in poor shape for a good long time now. :lol: Japan was effectively ours, China was causing problems. Remember that many Western governments had bankrupted. Other then that--it makes reference to the Red Scares and even Japanese internment--IMO. Who else has found the Chinese infiltrator? I found one in a one-man blast shelter down by the Citadel.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I found bethesda, it's north of farragut west station. I'm just roaming now. I'm all pallied up with Jericho and the enclave won't touch me. . . .which is a shame because i want to join :( (i've finished the game already before i get comments)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool

BTW: it was the Japanese that were invading the Aleutian Islands in WW2. I forgot to correct you on that last post.

BTW: it was the Japanese that were invading the Aleutian Islands in WW2. I forgot to correct you on that last post.

All the Chinese were doing during WW2 was getting killed (aside from resisting the Japanese of course). They have more civilian deaths than even Russia if I remember correctly. And furthermore the war in the Pacific (minus America) started in '36 or something, not 39 (it predates WW2). Though that whole conflict is very seldom given any consideration in history it seems. The only thing I've seen is some John Wayne movie called the Flying Tigers which I think was some american volunteer squadron based in China.

I don't think China became much of a western threat until the Soviets collapsed. As they were technically an ally during WW2, last shown in (hahaha) Pearl Harbour where the Mitchells or whatnot bombing Tokyo tried to make it for the Chinese lines.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
      I don't think China became much of a western threat until the Soviets collapsed. As they were technically an ally during WW2, last shown in (hahaha) Pearl Harbour where the Mitchells or whatnot bombing Tokyo tried to make it for the Chinese lines.
Yeah, I don't think so. There were a threat going way back to the 50's, maybe even before that. The US saw a large, communistic nation with rapidly growing population and strength. When they got their nuclear club membership card in '64 and caught the thermonuclear craze a few years later, they were officially a major freaking threat. So, yeah, to say they only became a threat to the West when the Soviets tanked... well, the best you can say is that they moved up the threat-list in '89, but they were always right up there.

Anyway, had  to give up playing Fallout 3 at the moment. Lent my 360 to my brother so I can force myself to finish off my final uni assignment (ever!) and study for my final exams next week. It's just such a damn good game, and i've barely scratched the surface, man I want to play it. I've got that goddamned Vault-tec bobble-head sitting next to my monitor now. Mocking me. Bastard.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Quote from: Akalabeth Angel

There was the minor matter of the Korean War.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 11:52:06 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...

There was the minor matter of the Korean War.
Someone misquoted, methinks. I'll let you figure out whom.