Author Topic: In Game FPS Very Low, Not Weak PC  (Read 6491 times)

Re: In Game FPS Very Low, Not Weak PC
Oh my god.  It's so beautiful!  You guys are awesome!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Hurm. Running Ubuntu 12.04, on:
  • Intel i7 Quad-core 2.3GHz (hyperthreaded to act as 8 CPUs, standard behaviour on this core)
  • 8 GB RAM
  • NVidia Quadro K1000M, 2GB
And I still can't seem to get over 30 FPS. What could be wrong? And what's the recommended order of switching off launcher flags? :P

I have heard that Unity 3D slows OpenGL games down - what windows manager are you using?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Ehh, Unity 3D alright. Is either of Unity2d/KDE/Xfce/LXDE known to work well?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Unity2D should work OK (and be the easiest to test).  It's something to do with compiz slowing things down, this was also true pre Unity3D.  Here's a thread with some discussion about how to avoid the slowdown while still using Unity3D, but I haven't tried any of this myself... (I just went with Unity2D, then XFCE, and finally Mint13 MATE  :D)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Ah, on U2D it seems to be much better already. Thanks a load!

For the longer run (i.e. next month :D), when U2D will be abolished, I'll probably give KDE a spin - apparently it performs really well if you disable compositing on fullscreen apps.