Author Topic: Odd Graphics Glitch  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Malifex

I have tried changing various graphics settings but have been unable to fix this:

Certain Graphics (notably the stars in the background) have a lingering effect on the screen, resulting in odd trails. This makes it tough as hell to see in combat. Attached are some screen shots. Notice that if my view near the sun, the problem doesn't happen within a small radius of the sun (possibly due to lighting effects?).

Specs:
Acer Aspire 7750G
Core i5 2410M at 2.3GH (Tubroboost to 2.9)
6GB DDR3 RAM
64bit Windows 7 Home Premium

AMD Radeon HD-6850M
Up to 3.83GB of HyperMemory (Whatever that means)
Driver Version: 8.961.0.0 (Released 4/5/2012)

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That's an odd one. It looks a little like the old stars effect but that's definitely turned off for the mission you posted pictures from. Are you graphics drivers, etc up to date?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I have a problem that sounds similar, but I chalked it up to crap system at the time.

Basically whatever I see when I exit the launch tube is superimposed on top of everything, so on the first mission I had a semi-transparent planet on the bottom right of my screen  for the entire mission, and for the second one I had a big asteroid thing coming in from the left stuck on my screen. It's just stars when you exit in the third mission, so it was less noticeable there. I can see through the objects, it's just confusing as heck when I actually turn to look at that object.

Specs:
Intel duo core T750 2.0GHz
2.0 Gb RAM
32-bit Windows 7 enterprise
intel family p965 chipset (basically no GPU)

Offline Demitri

Kinda looks like the issue I was having mentioned in this thread but as you'll see it wasnt just the star field that was being affected.
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

It's not a trail for me though. Literally, it's just as if you took a screencap when I exited the tube, made it ~30% transparent, and tacked it on. And that's it.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Latest video drivers?

Well, yeah, that goes without saying, doesn't it?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Eh, no, welcome to tech support... i.e.:

Client: "My computer won't turn on!"
Rep: "Is it plugged in?"
Client: "What!  Of course it is! Why would... oh.. hang on.."
<half minute>
Client: "...ok, yeah, sorry, that fixed it.  Thanks."
Rep: "No problem.  Glad to help."

:D

No offense to you, just many people can honestly forget they unplugged their computer to clean or something, let alone keeping latest video drivers, so, to help in the troubleshooting, you have to be deliberate.

What did you mean by "basically, no GPU?"  What does GPU-Z say your graphics are?  (link in my sig... CPU-Z is for all the other specs, GPU-Z is for graphics card.)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Fr3z3r

• http://www.freespace.prv.pl
Same issue here. 1st mission (training), woohoo trippy!

Win7, Radeon HD 6670, latest drivers.

^That's not what mine looks like. Mine is just a smooth overlay of what I saw exitting the launch tube. I'll try to get a screencap later.

CPU-Z says, "Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset family, revision C", Size is listed as 384 Mb, but I'm pretty sure it's just carved out of the RAM or something.

Edit: Oh right, by "no graphic card" I meant that it's pretty weak and really isn't that valid.

I've never used GPU-Z though, I'll see what that turns up.
Edit: Here it is
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:57:40 pm by Shorebird_One »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Intelgrated isn't supported by FSO, but IIRC you can try disabling Shaders by using -noglsl in the launcher, your mileage may vary.

I unchecked all of the high-memory features in the launcher, and it's fine now. So I'll chalk my issue up to bad gpu.

Offline Fr3z3r

Any idea how I can go about fixing mine?

Offline Malifex

I ended up rolling my graphics driver back to an older version. Oddly enough, it solved the issue for me any everything has been fine since (except for M6 crashes,but I never reached M6 with the original newer driver. The original newer driver was actually a custom one I'd downloaded from somewhere specifically for my graphics card. Try rolling back to an old version, or uninstalling the driver and allowing it to auto-reinstall upon reboot. It may fix it, it may not.

Offline Fr3z3r

I finally managed to fix it by setting all ATI settings to default. :) However, I couldn't play with post-processing enabled for more than a few minutes - the game freezed like crazy.