Author Topic: [RELEASE] Lost  (Read 23615 times)

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Why do I keep randomly self-destructing at the start of missions
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
FSO is trying to tell you something  :nervous:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Why do I keep randomly self-destructing at the start of missions

Uh oh.

Um...

So, do you always self-destruct at the same time? Does it happen on every mission?

Offline HLD_Prophecy

I just made a little change -
Spoiler:
the intro cutscene is now 101% more fun!

Don't skip the default FS2 intro after the splash screen.

Get Lost 1.3 here! (link killed by OP :))
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:08:54 am by HLD_Prophecy »

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
I self-destruct at the very start of the mission, seemingly at random. When I restart I also self-destruct. It went away after I replayed the previous mission though  :confused:
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Which mission, which previous mission, post your fs2open log, etc.  Reports consisting of just "it doesn't work" aren't very helpful.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

I self-destruct at the very start of the mission, seemingly at random. When I restart I also self-destruct. It went away after I replayed the previous mission though  :confused:

So are you saying that it's not a problem now? Do you really really want to find out what went wrong or are you okay now that the problem is gone?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, I just played this.  I liked it, and it was short enough that I got through it in maybe 10 or 15 minutes, as advertised.

Spoiler-free points:
  • I liked how it evoked the mysterious and dream-like nature of Transcend and Sync.  Atmospheric missions can be boring if not done well, but these were good. :yes:
  • The tweak to the intro cutscene was very clever.  The custom loading screens and main hall art, especially for a first-time modder, were cool.  It was neat to have a circular rather than linear loading animation, and it added to the atmospheric feeling of unfamiliarity.
  • I recommend using game_settings.tbl to set Lost as the default campaign for the mod.  I checked the Campaign Room beforehand, but other players may not do that.

Spoilerrific points:
Spoiler:
  • I was able to figure out that a) I should run away from the Shivans, and b) that I should replay the last mission to try both endings.  So those aspect worked.
  • I still have no idea what actually happened, or what was the significance of the ships, the missions, or the narration.  Or who was sending the narration - presumably the ship in the final mission, but there was no clue as to why or for what purpose.  The campaign does a good job of establishing mood but not much else.  There's only the hint of a story, rather than an actual story.
  • Aside from checking out the alternate ending to the last mission, there's not much replay value.
Bottom line: this was a fun little diversion, and short enough to be effective at what it did.  It was also technically proficient, more so than I would have expected from a first-time modder.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Oh, right... Isn't the loading bar ripped of ASW? :P
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Oh, right... Isn't the loading bar ripped of ASW? :P

Uh... I don't know what you're talking about.  :nervous:  :p

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Thanks for the review Goober, so glad that you liked it! :D I needed Mjn.Mixael's tutorial along with some framework borrowed from ASW to make the mainhall work. The loading animation is lazily borrowed from ASW, sorry if that's lame.

Thanks for the tip, I'll put adding a game_settings.tbl on my to-do list.

Would it make sense to say that I never played Transcend or Sync? Seriously, all I know about them is hearsay. It's on my bucket list though, and I really should do it
Spoiler:
before I finish the sequel

Spoiler:
Only a hint of a story is what I was going for. I have the plot in my head, but I think it's staying there.  ;) (except for MitoPL, who asked me to explain it to him) I made the decision to sacrifice playability early on, so there's not a lot of traditional gameplay going on. Making a campaign even moderately replayable is a skill that I don't think I have right now, but I'd like to learn in the future.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:35:19 am by PVD_Hope »

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
On the contrary - this loading animation isn't lame at all - I'm actually surprised that it wasn't used in many other campaigns (if any)...
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

On the contrary - this loading animation isn't lame at all - I'm actually surprised that it wasn't used in many other campaigns (if any)...

I have a few ideas for a custom loading animation that I'd like to add if I was to overhaul Lost.

I had typed up some remarks, but I fear I have *lost* them!  :lol:

Just kidding, it's a pretty short yet interesting little mini-campaign and very well done

Nice atmosphere, I like it

Spoiler:
Especially the Orff
;7

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline Crashdown117

• You can't take the sky from me
    • Steam
Just played through the campaign (twice, as recommended here) and I liked it. I especially enjoyed that it was something different both in terms of gameplay and storytelling, though I don't have much of a clue about what was actually going on there (which strangely enough is something I like about it). So thank you for making me use my brain on a video game rather than just looking through the objectives or waiting for somebody to tell me what to do and I hope you're planning to bring us a sequel or another campaign like this one.
"Flying is easy, landing is hard" - Delta-07

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Hey hack-wizard, praseodym, Hunter, and Carshdown, glad you guys all liked it! Thanks!

And Crashdown...

Spoiler:
There are plans for a sequel in the works. And I have some changes that I'd like to make to Lost. I'll not say more than that.  ;)

Hmm, that was interesting. I have some ideas about what was going on, but let's not.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Hmm, that was interesting. I have some ideas about what was going on, but let's not.

Thanks, glad you liked it!

(keeping your ideas to yourself is fine. Maybe if we meet in the afterlife we can discuss it. ;))