Author Topic: How do I make 'A Failure to Communicate' easier?  (Read 3435 times)

How do I make 'A Failure to Communicate' easier?
Yeah... In FSport I am on "A failure to communicate," a hard mission made into a true nightmare if you go for the secondaries. After no less than twenty tries I actually managed to save all the escape pods (kinda tough since a stiff breeze takes them out) and after I FINALLY finished it... nothing. Yeah, nothing happened. Looked around here, and sure enough, a known, if rare, glitch.

So I really don't feel like going through that again, right after I had actually done it, I started looking for a way to 'recreate' the victory I had earned without being labelled a cheater, and the route I thought best was to make those escape pods actually take a couple hits. I found the ship template, and have an idea what I need to do, but all the data tables are wrapped up (I assume) in librabries or the .EXE, and I don't see anyway to directly modify its stats. Leastwise, not with my 'Turey' install.

So if someone could post a copy of the escape pod file used by the current FSport I can likely tweak it to do what I want, although I will certainly welcome an advice from those here with greater experience.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 09:39:23 am by General Battuta »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Bug in "A failure to communicate"
In order to modify data, you have to extract it from the vp files first. There are several tools available for this, check this page for links.

You will also need to read up on ships.tbl, which is the place where all info about a ship class can be found.

However, that would not be the best way to fix this. Rather than editing the tbl, you should open the mission in FRED (after extracting it from the fsport vps), and make adjustments there.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Re: How do I make 'A Failure to Communicate' easier?
I've always been able to complete this.  The FreeSpace WIKI has a good walkthrough for most of these missions, you might want to look at that before you modify the mission.

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/A_Failure_to_Communicate
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks Mac, but I had already completed it, it had simply taken me a great many tries to clear and then it glitched. And it wasn't just about clearing it, I had saved all the pods. I simply felt I had already earned my pass and did not want to redo it another 20 times. Thanks to E's post I was able to extract the ship data, give the escape pods 10x hp, finish the mission, again, and delete the modified ship data.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Wait until you hit Silent Threat Reborn's protect the pods sequence.  :nervous:

The ones that (used to?) get insta-hornet-ed on insane difficulty ?  :D

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Happened on Medium already.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Aaaaarrgh. And it's always like on the last wave of fighters, too!  :mad:
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The ST:R mission is actually easier, because only one wing of fighters ever targets the pods.  In AFtC, three wings do, and one of them is a pair of Dragons.