Author Topic: FSPort 3.3 Discussion!  (Read 36437 times)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I'm a little late to the party, but I just completed playthrough of FSport 3.3.  I downloaded the files just a couple of days ago from the release thread, so I would assume I should have the most up-to-date files.  Couple of bug reports.  I am also getting the Typhon with holes and the opaque canopies.  I didn't think anything of the canopy thing, and only realized it was a bug when I saw a post about it here.  Finally, in the final mission in subspace, the white bit at the end of the tunnel goes "on top" of everything else, covering whatever is visually in line with it up.  I have a screenshot if someone can tell me how to turn the TGA into something standard.  Using nightly 7776.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There's a patch in the release thread for the Typhon issues.

IIRC, the opaque canopies were narrowed down to an ATI issue.

As for the subspace thing.. I've never heard of that before. I would need you to reproduce with a debug build and post the debug log before anyone could do anything about it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:29:35 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
log and screenshot attached.  i accidentally started the cutscene mission first, you can probably skip ahead in the log a bit.

on an unrelated note, the opening cutscene reverted to the fs2 one and the flickering black bars that i though i killed with the complete reinstall came back when i used the 7776 debug build.  anyone ever seen that before?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
woops

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Heh...I noticed that too, but I completely forgot about it until right now.  I can grab an additional log if it's needed.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
 :wtf:

Log tells me nothing apparent... I'm going to have to try to reproduce this one.

Offline CaptJosh

Well, as I recall from just originally playing through FS1, when you're first coming up on the Lucy in that mission, mostly what you can see are engine glows. Might that blend with the glow at the "end" of the hyperspacial "tunnel" some, possibly?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 09:06:38 am by mjn.mixael »
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, as I recall from just originally playing through FS1, when you're first coming up on the Lucy in that mission, mostly what you can see are engine glows. Might that blend with the glow at the "end" of the hyperspacial "tunnel" some, possibly?

No, it's definitely not blended glows.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
IIRC there's supposed to be a "sun" at the end of the tunnel. Looks like he's seeing it through the Lucy.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, that's exactly what's happening.  I know I could easily see it moving in relation to the Lucy as I flew around in that mission.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
it's not just the lucy, the white spot goes on top of everything.  there's a herc partially behind it in the screenshot, but it didn't come out as clearly as it was in-game.  potentially related, the subsace tunnel seems different than what i remember, although it's been a LONG time since my last playthrough.  could i possibly have the effect somehow?

Okay, I'm confused about something.

In the past, we'd put the fsport media vp's into fsport-mediavps

However, in this thread for the release of 3.3:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=76733.0

I see in the top part saying to put EVERYTHING into the fsport directory, however, at the bottom, it says to the contrary, rather and to put them in fsport and the mediavps into fsport-mediavps.

Which is it?  :)  One one of the two choices is the right one, yet the thread specifies two different ways.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The downloads are quite clearly split into sections. Under each header is a line that tells you where those downloads should be installed. I'm not sure it could be any more clear.

Nonetheless, to answer your question... it's the same as it's always been. Main downloads to 'freespace2/fsport' and mediavps downloads to 'freespace2/fsport-mediavps'.

Hmm, yes, I misread it... I'll chalk that up to lack of sleep due to my toddler being sick all weekend.  Thanks. :)

Offline Kolgena

it's not just the lucy, the white spot goes on top of everything.  there's a herc partially behind it in the screenshot, but it didn't come out as clearly as it was in-game.  potentially related, the subsace tunnel seems different than what i remember, although it's been a LONG time since my last playthrough.  could i possibly have the effect somehow?

A new patch was made in the nightlies a week or two back that drew sun/lens flares above all foreground objects. If the subspace "sun" is rendered as one of these flares, then it might be what's causing the issue.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
that sounds like a winner. 

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

A new patch was made in the nightlies a week or two back that drew sun/lens flares above all foreground objects. If the subspace "sun" is rendered as one of these flares, then it might be what's causing the issue.

The best thing you could do is run some tests and mantis it. Start with older builds (before the patch you mentioned) and then the newer builds to try and narrow down when the issue first appears.

Q: What are the -subglow maps in the FSPort MVPs, and does the engine recognize them?

Also, about the patch - the cache file doesn't match up with the model on 3.6.14 RC4, log provided.

[attachment deleted by a ninja]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 04:45:37 am by FreeSpaceFreak »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
the subglows are used for subspace missions, we execute them with texture replace. No the engine doesn't recognize them as anything special.

As for the cache. Woops. Just let it build a new one then.