Author Topic: RELEASE: Homesick, a 30+ mission campaign  (Read 132652 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
RELEASE: Homesick, a 30+ mission campaign
*Bump* Finished this, so some thoughts:

- The most memorable mission is the subspace one. This is not a good thing because I was pretty much pissed off, bordering on infuriated. Fortunately, my stubbornness got me through on about the 8th or 9th retry. :p Specifically, at first, I kept on dying because I'd get to close to a ship exploding, run out of countermeasures, or get hit by a missile shockwave. Finally, I noticed the Custodian was getting vaped by the beams from the Destroyer. "Warp out!" comes the message. I start my Herc 2 at a rapid pace towards the end of the node when the Custodian suddenly detonates 500 m away from the Destroyer. :wtf:
So my next 3 retries were spent taking out the Destroyer's beam cannons, only to watch as they magically replenished themselve, blew up the corvette, and I got swarmed by Maras and died.
I finally finished it by taking out the missile batteries of the Destroyer and fleeing back to the Custodian, while my invulnerable wingmen defended the cruisers. (this was on Easy)
I dislike blatant SEXPing...what can I say? ;)
It was especially disappointing because the first time I played through it that mission was fast becoming one of my favorites...the Vasudan corvette jumping in, hell-bent on blowing something up. :p

The ending was alright. I don't think a happy ending would've necessarily been better, it just didn't seem to mesh well with everything. I can sort of understand the Vasudans getting pissed at the Custodian, but the GTVA battlegroup's decision to blast the mercs seemed a bit rash. "You're hiding something from me! I hate you!!" :p I could've understood a mission where the Hecate sends out waves of fighters to disable you though. (using the Ultra-super-duper disruptor, that has plenty of affect on shields)

Actually, it'd be sort of nice (IMHO) if it were possible to save the Custodian, but the Hecate brings it up on charges of treason and working with revolutionaries and whatnot.

The rest of the campaign was pretty good. There were a lot of good moments, fun parts of dialog (I especially enjoyed the line about Alpha 1 being professional :D). The GTVI station was a nice touch, and raises some interesting questions. There were a lot of pirate fighters, but overall this campaign seemed to suffer less from the repeating-wing-warpin syndrome of other ones, which was a nice break from the monotony of that.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 10:24:57 pm by 374 »
-C

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
hey blaise, when will you make a sequel? i LOVED Homesick.

WMC: The subspace mission was easy, and I was playing on Hard. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Cobra, you're quickly becoming a troll.  Stop it.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
OK. :nervous:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

A sequel?

The Custodian is destroyed, all the wingmen, except Beta 4, have been killed off, and Alpha 1 successfully escaped, and the Shivan invasion has been prevented.

Not much to go on. Forget the sequel, and let Russel use his uber-FREDing skills elsewhere, on a new project.

Offline WMCoolmon

I wouldn't mind a sequel. ;) Although I do somewhat prefer STL.
-C

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
"Revenge of Alpha 1, a sequal to the acclaimed Homesick" - :p
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
:lol:

wouldn't that be cool. :D

Lackey: "Sir, we've got a lone fighter on scope."

Admiral: "Isn't that...Alpha 1?!"

Alpha 1: "THIS IS FOR BETA 4, JERK!"

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
*WHAMMO*

and in 2 seconds, an entire fleet is destroyed by Alpha 1's revenge. :D

Offline WMCoolmon

« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 05:20:05 pm by 374 »
-C

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
:lol:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline WMCoolmon

Now with musical goodness! :nervous:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 05:26:50 pm by 374 »
-C

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
:D :yes:

That was thoroughly awesome.

Offline Kie99

:wakka:
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Originally posted by WMCoolmon
OK, I've done the voice acting. :D

You are my now my idol. :lol:

EDIT: Did I write that?!

What I meant to say was, "You are now my idol."

I blame it on the fits of laughter that were consuming my ever-lasting soul at that moment.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 06:48:33 pm by 1278 »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
:wakka: oh my god, that was hilarious, and i agree with blitz. :D

awesome. :yes:

"However, you failed to do any damage to our hull by blowing on your microphone." :lol:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:wakka:

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
:wtf:
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Originally posted by Cobra
:wakka: oh my god, that was hilarious, and i agree with blitz. :D

awesome. :yes:

"However, you failed to do any damage to our hull by blowing on your microphone." :lol:

*thought cobra was banned from the campaigns forum*