Author Topic: graphical glitch  (Read 1643 times)

Offline krisvek

i've gotten this problem before in regular FSOpen, but managed to fix it...now it's happening in my FS1 port campaign...

the lighting and all looks great, but the alpha/environment mapping is messing up, so that  the entire ship is reflecting the nebulas....it's aggravating

now, the bigger ships dont seem to be doing it...just the fighter size ones

the port is installed in it's own little folder...i believe i have everything set up right, but obviously, something is awry

suggestions?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Port shinemaps are probably overriding the shinemaps from mv_textures, and since they almost certainly don't have an alpha channel, they're full-reflective.  I'd extract the port tables and put a copy of mv_models and mv_textures in that folder and make sure they get loaded first (i.e. have a name lexographically less than the port VP) so that you get the graphical goodies to override port files.

This would actually qualify as a port bug, but I think it's a little beyond the scope of their problems.  The non-FS2 ships are still going to have issues with shinemaps though, so you would have to manually add an alpha channel to all of those.  The better solution may be to just use -env instead of -alpha_env
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline krisvek

thanks for the tip, i'll give all that a try

could you point me to where i might learn to make alpha maps for ships?  :)