Author Topic: Advice sought about restoring a copy of FS1 Retail  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Christopherger

• Beyond Infinity Space Becomes Closer
    • 3D Worlds and Game Developers Research Group
Advice sought about restoring a copy of FS1 Retail
Hi, I have lurked and visited here at the overall site for some time but have been away due to unavoidalbe life things,

I have finally gotten a copy of FS1 retail, tho I think it  is damaged and I am trying to restore it, restoring missing files and olders......

I am seeking advice on what is inside the files, and the file structure of FS1 if anyone can please assist me in this restoration i would greatly appreciate it, i think i am close,

but i think the install i have lacks some of the important files, such as the music, (what folder does it go in?) and the campaigns, and the voice briefings etc. I found some of the files I thnk I need on your site, but am not sure if i should re name them as the files in the install i have do not say fs1 but just end in vp?

In the Mission folder loaded by the install all there are are six files saying Backup.001, 002, etc. are these the campaign mssions? I found the mission file on your site but again i was not sure if it would work in the orignal game. :)

I am trying to rebuild a working copy of FS1 that I inherited on an old Damaged editon, I have most of the files I think but as I am not knowledgable about what is supposed to be there, and I dont want to try running it until I am sure enough is there to avoid damage this is what is present in the install

the orignal contents of the CD were 90.6 MB

Files are:

CACHE  317 KB
   11  7 kb PALLETTE FILES, BARRACKS, ETC...
DATA   266 MB
  MISSIONS 22.4 KB
   VOICE O KB
      MISSIONS
      SPECIAL
      DEBRIEFLINGS
   FREESPACE VP 224 MB
  VOC.VP  43 MB
FREESPACE LANUCH MFP APP  1.0.0.1.
FRED 1.84 MB
FS 1.0.0.1 2.10 MB
ROOT.VP 2 MB
MOVIES  140 MB
( I created this file and put in the cutscenes, but am not sure if they will run from here)

I think I am missing the music, but am not at all sure, any help much appreciated, where I can
get missing files or if indeed any are missing. thanks veyr muchj

I do know about the excellent port of FS1 here, but am hoping to play through the original versions and then
move on to the great project here. it has taken some years to get this going as I had bone cancer and
three operations, but I am still kicking, sort of, and hope to be part of things here, i am slowly working up to
it so any help is much appreciated.

EDIT: Later on SAturday....after researching some more...........

I found the Freespace port site hosted here and found

the WARBLE file with the music, do I create a folder called MUSIC and put it in that?

Also the STU fsl, do does it go in the VOICE Folder, i am guessing, and is there a file list to say what goes where?

Also the TANGO fsl, i, do they go into a special folder too?

any help much appreciated. thanks :) :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 09:05:08 pm by Christopherger »
Admin
3D Worlds and Game Developers Group  Linedin
"We Build Worlds"

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Advice sought about restoring a copy of FS1 Retail
any help much appreciated. thanks

I have no idea what you're trying to do, but all that's necessary is to copy the VP files into FreeSpace2, if you're running retail, or FreeSpace2\fsport, if you're running SCP.

Offline Christopherger

Sorry if my post was unclear. I am trying to rebuild a copy of Descent Freespace, Freespace 1, and I am not sure if I have all the files, and am trying to figure out the structure of the files on the original game install.

For instance, I have a folder from the insall that is labeles VOICE (this is in FS1 retail) and has sub folders
labeled MISSIONS, SPECIAL, DEBRIEFINGS, and was wondering if the STU fsl file that is available from your site goes in there, and how we place it?

Does the WARBLE file go into its own folder called, for instance, "MUSIC" ?

Does the MISSION file that is used in the Port of FS1 work in the original game, and if so, where does it go,
in the folder called MISSION? 

So I am working to rebuild a working copy of the original retail vanilla pre SCP FS1, not FS2 thanks for any help
chris :)
Admin
"We Build Worlds"

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Oh.  I think you'll have to get a brand new CD, or else download an ISO from somewhere (see this thread).  Even if you managed to copy all the files into their proper places, you'd still be missing all the interface graphics and all the sounds.

Offline Christopherger

OK, I ordered a New copy retail of the combined FS1 and Silent Threat from my software supplier, now I have to wait for it to com :wtf: :doubt: :D ;)

thanks very much for the advice .....i did start leanring about the editing tools and the file structure which is good
thanks again
chris :)
Admin
"We Build Worlds"