Author Topic: Question about the GTD Orion turrets  (Read 7375 times)

Question about the GTD Orion turrets
uhm, well, do they DO anything? I keep noticing that the blobs do almost NO damage, especially the big green ones VS cap ships.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Question about the GTD Orion turrets
Your point?

They're what remains of the old FS1 style(well, let's say of the old space sim style) that consisted in arming ships with blob turrets firing pretty useless energy shots.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

oh. i didn't know that. It just seemed like they weren't there, causing me to question why the Orion was considered so powerful.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
oh. i didn't know that. It just seemed like they weren't there, causing me to question why the Orion was considered so powerful.
BGreens

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
BGreens
And excellent firing arcs.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah, arguably the best thing about the Orion is that it's basically a big block. It doesn't need that many turrets to give it good defensive coverage.

The Hecate and Hades, on the other hand, are funnily shaped and have lots of funny nuances and silly parts that give it a huge surface area. So these need huge amounts of turrets for good turret coverage...

The Hecate and Hades, on the other hand, are funnily shaped and have lots of funny nuances and silly parts that give it a huge surface area. So these need huge amounts of turrets for good turret coverage...

As i have learned... stupid aquitane...

BGreens

I meant in FS1. I see why the Typhon was so revolutionary, it's missles give it an effective defense against bombers, which are the only real threat the orion can turn up, it seems.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Someone should make a big spherical destroyer.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I think that this would be what you are looking for.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's dildoesque, not spherical.

i'm pretty sure hades had a Borg Sphere  :P

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
You mean a Borg Cube?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

no, both.  :p

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I meant in FS1. I see why the Typhon was so revolutionary, it's missles give it an effective defense against bombers, which are the only real threat the orion can turn up, it seems.
Well, there were no real bombs and no shields during the T/V war. The best weapon was supposedly the ML-16.

They made the Banshee sound like it was available during the T-V.

And it is kindof weird, prior to the athena, there were plenty of missions that had situations were bombers would have been usefull. kindof lends credit to your point, snail.

But it's a moot point, because that means the Typhon, with both it's better AF armament, and more fighters, would be able to quickly dispatch the orions fighter cover, leaving the remaining zod ships to harass the Orion and clear a path for the Typhon to finish it off.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think that this would be what you are looking for.

That looks pretty good, actually. I assume, however, that this cannot be downloaded anywhere? (The URL says 'conceptpics')

Well, there were no real bombs and no shields during the T/V war. The best weapon was supposedly the ML-16.

Why they couldn't make railguns or some other weapon that could actually do proper anti-cap damage is beyond me. Especially as there was a commented out 'Railgun' weapon in the tables. Arming an Orion with ML-16s might make it more able to deal out damage than with crappy blob turrets. Or with Prometheus' and Phoenix Vs. (I heard somewhere that the Phoenix V did half the damage of a Tsunami.)

Maybe Terran and Vasudan scientists were rubbish with weapons until the Shivans turned up?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Well, they had Fusion Mortars.
Why they didn't load everything up with these beats me. They're better than SGreens.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
SGreens are shiny. 'Nuff said.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Maybe ammunition for the mortars takes up a lot of space in comparison to a beam emitter.

yeah, but think of the beams energy requirements? think of the space spent on a reactor?