Author Topic: Atmospheric Niceties  (Read 3312 times)

Offline FoxtrotTango

• "...in a way, you've stolen his soul."
During the last mission, the battle against the GTI Hades, I noticed something floating around Deneb III that really caught my eye. It was that Orion hulk from the original FS2 intro, the one that had been destroyed by the Lucifer in the Great War. I know that it's probably a minuscule detail overall, but I thought that this minor detail really added a lot of atmosphere to the final battle of Silent Threat: Reborn. A little goes a long way and all that.

Just thought I'd say it in case anyone else hadn't.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
yeah I saw that orion two.. I tried to target it but nothing happened jeje.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
We scattered lots of little things like that in the campaign.  Glad to see they're getting noticed. :)

Offline FoxtrotTango

• "...in a way, you've stolen his soul."
We scattered lots of little things like that in the campaign.  Glad to see they're getting noticed. :)

Lots of them? I bet I've noticed them all, but they didn't stand out enough for me to compliment them. Care to refresh me on what else you did to throw us into the life and times of Silent Threat?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Various FS universe connections, not necessarily as clear-cut as the holed Orion model.  Some are obvious, like All Your Base Are Belong to Us.  Some rely on external information, like the Silent Threat secret video and the Cardinal Spear final mission.

Here is an incomplete list:
Spoiler:
Phasing jump nodes
The Deneb asteroid belt
References to Echo Gate and Shrouding the Light
We didn't really refer to it, but we figured the Talus Particle Accelerator is the same installation that created the Helios
The GTF Angel and the Serkr

I was going to make an exhaustive list, but it's quite long and I don't want to spoil all the discoveries just yet. :p  I suggest re-playing the campaign and looking for references to the FS universe, to other popular campaigns, and to famous legends or stories.  A good place to focus your attention would be the various ship names, but there are other clues too. ;)  There are also several fill-in-the-blank moments, where the player will not necessarily understand the significance of events on the first play through.

EDIT: And there's a whole other layer of secrets that only 56 people figured out, but that's a subject for another thread. ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 02:29:36 am by Goober5000 »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Spoiler:
We didn't really refer to it, but we figured the Talus Particle Accelerator is the same installation that created the Helios
Oh yeah, I remember that. I was like "Someone has far too much spare time". Very nice touch. :P

Offline Nissan

A good place to focus your attention would be the various ship names, but there are other clues too. ;)

I was actually wondering about one of those... and it brought up a kinda-sorta-related question.  In the FS2 era, when ships defected to the NTF, did they change their names? 

Because I find it hard to believe the GTVA would commission a new Repulse after how infamous the original was...
"Uh, yeah, I mean it's tough to say, woulda-coulda-shoulda, ifs and buts like candy and nuts, you know, you never know.  This, that, and the other thing.  Who knows?  You know, there are a lot of what-ifs.  You know, my whole life is a lot of what-ifs."
- San Antonio Spurs F Matt Bonner

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I was actually wondering about one of those... and it brought up a kinda-sorta-related question.  In the FS2 era, when ships defected to the NTF, did they change their names? 

Nope. Case in point: the GTC NTC Trinity.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline -Norbert-

I loved the all your base are belong to us.
When I saw that for the first time, I had to pause the game, because I had to laugh so hard that I couldn't fly anymore  :lol: