Author Topic: The Last Hurrah  (Read 12145 times)

I am not sure how exactly to do the end of the mission "Last Hurrah".  I destroyed all the shivans but then
Spoiler:
I get attacked by the EMP and there seems to be no way at all to survive.

How do I finish the last part of the mission?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 10:24:07 pm by instinctepyon »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Spoiler:
Do as your wingman says and "get out of here".

In other words, engage your jump drive.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Spoiler:
Do as your wingman says and "get out of here".

In other words, engage your jump drive.
I don't think that's good enough of a solution for those who were already disabled. It's very discouraging to complete a mission 100% just to be screwed at the end and not having the ability to do anything about it. It would even be better if we explode, but being allowed to continue gives us a false sense of hope that quickly dwindles after realizing that we might as well be dead a mission ago.

By the way, I thought pressing T was a solution?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I don't think that's good enough of a solution for those who were already disabled.
So do it before you get disabled.  There's enough time.

It's very discouraging to complete a mission 100% just to be screwed at the end and not having the ability to do anything about it. It would even be better if we explode, but being allowed to continue gives us a false sense of hope that quickly dwindles after realizing that we might as well be dead a mission ago.
You do explode.  "Being allowed to continue" was a minor bug that was fixed within a week of release.  Or did you never use the FSOInstaller to update the mod?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Most players fear the dreaded "You did not have authorization to depart, pilot. Although you saved the GTA no less than seven times, for departing 3 seconds before the RTB directive trigger, we are going to assrape you."

Doesn't the game do that on purpose...?  :nervous: (<- from a guy that's never actually succesfully completed a mission, and only beat the main campaign because he failed so many times)
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I mean, players don't depart when prompted by Gamma 1 because they think they'll get the AWOL.

I for one was pretty pissed off with my computer (not the GTI) that it happened. I found that mission extremely boring and a complete gimmick (sleeping Shivans? WTF?), wasn't very happy I had to play it all over again.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I for one was pretty pissed off with my computer (not the GTI) that it happened. I found that mission extremely boring and a complete gimmick (sleeping Shivans? WTF?), wasn't very happy I had to play it all over again.
...boring?  You got to blow a whole ton of **** up.  And in the end, that's what life's really all about. :p

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Most players fear the dreaded "You did not have authorization to depart, pilot. Although you saved the GTA no less than seven times, for departing 3 seconds before the RTB directive trigger, we are going to assrape you."
We tried to handle RTB triggers intelligently in ST:R.  There are several missions where you can depart and get a proper debriefing even without the RTB trigger.  Last Stand, for instance. :drevil:

And your clue not to wait for the RTB order was your wingman saying, "You know, I haven't heard from Command for the past ten minutes."

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
So do it before you get disabled.  There's enough time.
What Snail said is what I meant. Force-jump would be a better idea than self-destruction. I would understand if the mission was shorter, but this one was quite long.

You do explode.  "Being allowed to continue" was a minor bug that was fixed within a week of release.  Or did you never use the FSOInstaller to update the mod?
I beat the beat the game already, so I didn't know. Mines is probably updated, though.  :nervous:

And your clue not to wait for the RTB order was your wingman saying, "You know, I haven't heard from Command for the past ten minutes."
It's only obvious when you either played it before or read some spoilers.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I was thinking that you could make a new objective titled "Jump?", with that question mark.

Then, when the EMP hits, automatically fail that objective. That might make it more obvious.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Nothing like this happened to me

I eliminated everybody but some enemy sensor blip which I couldn't see. (made me face the sun x.x) and the Archon

I got it down to 6% and it wouldn't take any more damage.

x.x
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Narwhal

• Campaign List Crusader
The first part is easy, happily enough. Easy, but long.

What I hate is

1. I finish it once (in hard), but got blowed up because I did not RTB
2. I finish it a second time with a Zeus (a pretty good bomber IMO, I never understood why most people did not like it). Unfortunatly, I jumped with few missiles. Sad, can't reload, and a bomber without missiles is like... soon dead.

The combinaison of the 2, + a faily long mission, made me cry.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
You deserved it because you are a terrible person.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
You deserved it because you are a terrible personobviously have not played the last mission of DEM.

Fixed. :p
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Jopi

• In the army now, TJ 163
I'm having problems with this mission, too. I don't get what you have to do to destroy the Archon, when I get its hull down to 10 %, it won't take any more damage. After I've disarmed and disabled it, I usually just increase the time compression and then at some point it gets destroyed. First time I did this I had 64x time compression and did not have time to react to the arrival of new hostiles and I died. Next time I managed to complete the mission I was EMPed and disabled, but allowed to continue to the next mission. But without support ship there was nothing I could do. Now I seem to be unable to complete the mission, last time I had my wingmen blasting the Archon for 40 minutes without effect.
I think this is the weakest mission in the ST:R so far with all the invulnerable ships around.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The damage limit at 10% is caused by the game engine, not by ST:R making the ships invulnerable.  The last 10% of damage has to be done by bombs, not laser or small-missile fire.  If you're not flying a bomber yourself, you need to let your wingmen do it.

And that means not ordering any of your wingmen to disable or disarm the Archon.  Instead, just let them destroy it -- order them to destroy it if you need to.  When you issue a disarm or disable order, the game engine causes the AI to try to prevent the ship from being destroyed.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
That becomes kind of annoying when you manage to lose all of your bombers.  :mad:

Offline Jopi

• In the army now, TJ 163
The damage limit at 10% is caused by the game engine, not by ST:R making the ships invulnerable.  The last 10% of damage has to be done by bombs, not laser or small-missile fire.  If you're not flying a bomber yourself, you need to let your wingmen do it.

And that means not ordering any of your wingmen to disable or disarm the Archon.  Instead, just let them destroy it -- order them to destroy it if you need to.  When you issue a disarm or disable order, the game engine causes the AI to try to prevent the ship from being destroyed.

Thanks, I didn't know that. The problem is that usually the AI wastes all its bombs on the cruisers (sometimes even on the helpless freighters) and they're not too keen to reload. I guess I ought telling them to ignore the Archon after it's been disarmed. But sometimes they then decide to go after the GTF Music Hack...

Offline Narwhal

• Campaign List Crusader
That becomes kind of annoying when you manage to lose all of your bombers.  :mad:
I don't think you can. Some are tagged indestructible.