Author Topic: Why Silent Threat (THE ORIGINAL) was so bad?  (Read 23407 times)

Offline eliex

Re: Why Silent Threat (THE ORIGINAL) was so bad?
FS1's voice actors had much more feeling/expression in their voice - especially the Vasudans in Exodus, although you are right that the McCarthy part was exceedingly weird.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
FS1's voice actors had much more feeling/expression in their voice - especially the Vasudans in Exodus, although you are right that the McCarthy part was exceedingly weird.

Yeah, you could almost say the voice acting got progressively better as the campaign went on.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
I noticed while replaying ST recently that the voice acting isn't as good (IMO) as in FS2. However, I looked back at FS1 and noticed the same issue there, so it isn't really ST specific.

IMO Pre-FS2 voice acting sounded child-ish almost, like a bunch of teens with microphones.

"I answer to a higher authority!" made me go "Okay, WTF!", McCarthy sounded like he just graduated from officer school.

Well, he was a young man. Figure, he must be pretty green if he's flying a hauler opposed to a fighter.
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Circ

• Nurse, Soldier, Father, & Freemason
You have to also remember that they probably had a smaller budget. I think they did a damn good job and the main voice actor who did the briefings was amazing.

And the Intro, It's theatrical quality.  It would be an awesome trailer to see in a movie theater.

"My God they're following me!!!"  *pant*
"Canada is like an old cow, the West feeds it, Ontario and Quebec milk it, and you can well imagine what it's doing in the Maritime s"
(Tommy Douglas)

Offline Locutus of Borg

"What the hell is that!?"

I would've liked to see more on the station, and more of Lucy before the scene cut.

FS1 needed more cutscenes like the briefing for the Tyranus. One before you launch to defeat Lucy would've been awesome.

We are the Borg

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Nuclear1

Silent Threat had a few good lines too...we all love "INCOMING!" and then there was "Alpha 1, containment critical.  Aries 2 breaking for the jump node."  "Aries 2 has escaped, advising Command.  Get your head in the fight and complete your mission Alpha 1!"
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Locutus of Borg

ST:R had its own dramatic moments too.

I was continuously pausing the Jotunheim mission so I could just listen to the dialogue.

I almost **** myself when the Pinnacle rammed the Hades
We are the Borg

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
when the Pinnacle rammed the Hades
When did this happen?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
That's the Hope, isn't it?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline eliex

I almost **** myself when the Pinnacle rammed the Hades

ST:R assumes that you perfectly completed the original FS campaign and ensuring that the Vasudans didn't lose a valuable Typhon destroyer at the time.  :nod:

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
* Androgeos Exeunt has mixed up the PVD Pinnacle with the PVD Hope again. :nervous:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
You have to also remember that they probably had a smaller budget. I think they did a damn good job and the main voice actor who did the briefings was amazing.

And the Intro, It's theatrical quality.  It would be an awesome trailer to see in a movie theater.

"My God they're following me!!!"  *pant*

Yeah

The first few times I saw it I thought the scream when he gets blown to pieces wasn't that great but I got over it fast.

Offline Circ

• Nurse, Soldier, Father, & Freemason
The scream is the best part.. ha ha it's like he knows he's doomed and can't do nothing about it. Screams like he's out of his mind with fear. "Yaaarrrrrggggghh"
"Canada is like an old cow, the West feeds it, Ontario and Quebec milk it, and you can well imagine what it's doing in the Maritime s"
(Tommy Douglas)

Offline Locutus of Borg

That's the Hope, isn't it?

I'm sorry
We are the Borg

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Snail

• SC 5
"What the hell is that!?"

I would've liked to see more on the station, and more of Lucy before the scene cut.

FS1 needed more cutscenes like the briefing for the Tyranus. One before you launch to defeat Lucy would've been awesome.
More were planned but were cut due to budget cuts or lack of time.

Offline eliex

More were planned but were cut due to budget cuts or lack of time.

Quote from: Wikipedia Article FreeSpace2 Development
Due to the time constraint, a lot of the initial ideas were dropped from the final version of the game, such as atmospheric battles, and new weapons types like a "subspace missile artillery strike".

It'd have been cool to see how  :v: implemented a toyed-at idea of a subspace artillery strike.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Well, if you want to have a rough idea of how it might work, try playing either Droid803's Tides of Darkness mod or Flaming_Sword's Shivans! v0.2 mod.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline eliex

Hmm, thanks for the suggestion. TOD doesn't work for me after several missions in, but I'll have a look at Shivans! after playing Dilmah's Exodus.  :D

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Try flying the Nahema and equipping it with the Tactical Bomb in any of the Single Missions (under Mission Simulator) when you play Shivans!. I recommend either "Titan" or "The Face of BoE (Obligatory)" to try it out. ;)

Alternatively, look under the Weapons section of the Tech Data and read the "Tactical Bomb" entry.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Locutus of Borg

Atmospheric battles would have been FTW
We are the Borg

Resistance is FUTILE