Author Topic: Galemp's Northern European Tour 2009  (Read 27276 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: Galemp's Northern European Tour 2009
Amsterdam is my kind of place. First of all, it's European, so everything I like about the cultural and culinary diversity is intact; secondly, the transport system consists almost entirely of bicycles, boats and trains; and third, the atmosphere is totally relaxed. There's this magical attitude towards victimless so-called 'amoral' behaviour that lets everyone just get on with their lives and do what they want to do, with none of the false moral outrage and hypocrasy that comes with people like, say, Ted Haggart.

The building just after the one in the foreground is the Anne Frank Huis; to the left is the warehouse, and to the right with the pitched roof is the Secret Annex. That tiny square window is the one in the kitchen.

The annex is surprisingly large; it's definitely plausible that eight people could live in there for years, although the claustrophobia would definitely be intense. Anne's original diary is on display as well. The Nazis confiscated all the furniture in the annex, but other than that, the rooms remain as they were, with yellow wallpaper and 1940s movie star posters stuck to the walls.

Looking out of those windows, imagining what it was like not to be able to go out on the street and remembering what they went through, was chilling.

The first photo was shot from the top of this tower, the West Church. There are four churches in the inner city, and I can't imagine anywhere odder to have them.

One of them has the Amsterdam monument to homosexual persecution right outside its doors. The pink granite triangle is of course a reference to the emblems homosexuals were forced to wear in the concentration camps, and has since been reclaimed. The very concept of building something like this in the US would trigger a moral panic. Still, that's nothing compared to the Old Church...

The Old Church is completely surrounded by bars, coffeeshops, tattoo parlors and brothels. There is literally window prostitution facing the church. As you probably know, prostitution in the Netherlands is legal and prostitutes are licensed; they rent windows, pay taxes, and get checkups four times a year.  Taking photos in the Red Light District at night is forbidden (it's considered theft) but here's what it looks like during the day. All those doors with curtains on them have their windows filled as early as 12:30 PM with lingerie-clad prostitutes backlit with red light. This particular photo was taken on the same block as the hostel I was staying in.

To experience that other famous aspect of Amsterdam, the coffeeshops, I went to the internationally recognized Cannabis College, an informational, awareness, and activism non-profit organization. Here's something I didn't know: all the drugs that are so readily available in Amsterdam are in fact just as illegal as they are in any other country. The United Nations has classified marijuana as a Class 1 Drug (serious health risks, no medical benefit, dangerously addictive) and there's just as much, if not more, persecution and imprisonment for drug possession as there is in Belgium or Germany. Among locals, there's also just as much prejudice and distaste for the pot culture as there is anywhere else. What you are seeing here is the ONLY licensed cannabis growing operation in the entire Netherlands.

So if the laws are no different, what makes Amsterdam so different? The answer: Enforcement.
This is the laissez-faire attitude I was referring to: the coffeeshops are Dutch-owned, contributing to the economy, and not causing any harm or danger, so they're simply tolerated. This does mean that there's no regulation or standardization for these drugs, however, and one of the Cannabis College's missions is to shop around at local coffeeshops, buy drugs, then send them for testing and find out how much is crap.
And there's a LOT of crap. The plants the College grows and recommends are 100% organic, no chemicals or pesticides, with carefully chosen genetics as well. Drugs are dangerous, and Holland is lucky enough that these discussions can be held out in the open to reduce the risk of smokers getting hurt, and legitimizing businesses that don't deal in hard drugs. If you're at all interested in any of the aspects of prohibition (Uses of hemp, medical marijuana, overzealous law enforcement, etc.) you've probably already heard of them, but if not, it's highly educational.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 12:29:46 pm by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Wow. My parents said we might be able to go someplace in Europe for my bday. I'll have to keep looking here.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The first photo was shot from the top of this tower, the Old Church. There are four churches in the inner city, and I can't imagine anywhere odder to have them.
I'd assume that they were built well before the city became a wretched hive of scum and villainy. :p

I'm amused to find out that Amsterdam is every bit as much of an...interesting place as I've heard.  Not really my kind of place at all, but an interesting place nonetheless.  The picture of the Anne Frank house is rather chilling, in a way.

Offline peterv

Amsterdam is my kind of place too you lucky Galemp  :)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Hm. I did some accounting today, and it looks like I'll have to change my plans. While I had budgeted my major expenses, like travel, something's gone wrong somewhere and I haven't recieved my unemployment insurance checks recently, so I'm about $500 short of where I should be.  I've also been spending a LOT more than I thought. Unfortunately, there's three things I hadn't taken into consideration when I was budgeting.

Cash Only. Most hostels, it seems, are happy to book your reservation and deposit online with a credit card, but will only accept the balance in cash. Additionally, most supermarkets and some other places only accept European credit cards--even if they're Visa or Mastercard. I had anticipated softening the drain on my bank account using plastic, but with each withdrawal being hit by foreign transfer fees, currency exchange fees, ATM fees, and an unfavorable exchange rate, I'm rapidly running out of basic currency.

Sightseeing. What good is it being in front of a staggering historical monument if you can't go inside? Most attractions cost between €4 and €8 even with the student discount. Popular or well-touristed items can see the prices rise too. And since I'm by myself, with time to kill and young legs, I can get a lot done in a day.

Nightlife. Shocking as it may seem, this architecture student who spends most of his free time modeling spaceships doesn't get out very much. "Going Out" as in having a few beers and a few laughs has grown on me a lot this past week and it's been great... but expensive. Going out for anyone anywhere is pricey, but when you're in a big city where everything closes at 5, it's pretty much THE thing to do, and doing it every other night is getting unsustainable. Even when I do stay in, these places charge for wi-fi, so there's not much I can do after dark except sleep.

So, crunching the numbers, I came up with a couple different schemes. All of these are basically eliminating spending on anything except €5 a day for bread and water.

• I could stick to the original schedule, do nothing except walk and sleep, see the cities but not experience them, and return home deeply in debt. Not very attractive.
  • I could cut the trip short--spend a night in Cologne, a night in Strasbourg, and a night in Paris, and return to my grandparents for, uh, two weeks until my flight leaves. Again, not very attractive.
  • I could work at the Youth Hostel here in Amsterdam for a week in exchange for free room and board, make my dates in Cologne, Hanover, and Paris, and have enough wiggle room to buy a few entry tickets. Now that's more like it.

I'm going to be interviewing with the hostel staff here tomorrow about the possibility. They've already said that they need cleaners, and I would love to be in Amsterdam during Queen's Day (which is the city's biggest party) as well as keeping my date with DaBrain, using my Eurail pass to its maximum, and keeping my reservation in Paris. I just need to convince them that I'm "Christian" enough not to tarnish their image. However, my attendance at Bible Study tonight and insightful discussion afterwards seemed to go well, even if I believe that Jesus is merely "A Way" to find spiritual fulfillment rather than "The Way." Wish me luck (and prayers, if you're into that sort of thing.)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Woot. They've taken me on! I'm going to Cologne for three days, then heading back to Amsterdam to work for a week before I head to Paris.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Top tip: If ever you arrange to meet someone in a foreign country at a well known landmark in the city, always make sure theres not TWO of them.

Sorry I missed you today, DaBrain.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Alright, with my finances in order I set off for Cologne for a few days before returning to Amsterdam. First stop: the Schockoladen Museum, home of Lindt. Also, I was in Germany and thus required Bratwurst.

I've been to Chocolate World in Hershey, Pennsylvania a few times, but this place puts it to shame. Instead of anamatronic candy bars they have an actual greenhouse where they grow the cocoa trees, and an actual production line where they make the samples they give out with your ticket. From bean to bar, it's all done right in front of you, as well as truffles and hollow chocolate Easter Bunnies. That's a chocolate fountain to the right, by the way.

I also had time on the way back to look at House No. 4711, the original home of Eau de Cologne. For some reason Napoleon abolished all street names and numbered each house, which is why it's only given a number. Today it's the flagship store of the 4711 brand.

Next day was Cologne Cathedral. I have only one word to describe it: TITANIC. The sheer MASS of the thing and the size of its towers is unfathomable. Look at it. Just look at it!

To give you some sense of scale... this is a replica of the pinnacle they placed on top of each of the towers upon the Cathedral's completion.

Construction started in the year 1248 when the relics of the Three Kings (also known as the Three Magi, or Wise Men) were moved here from Milan. Work halted after the Reformation with only the eastern end complete; the unfinished cathedral sat there, its medieval crane dominating the skyline, for 300 years until it was finally finished as a symbol of German unity in 1880. Just 60 years later, it only escaped destruction by the Allied bombings that leveled 90% of the city because it was a useful landmark for pilots.

On that note, this is all that remains of Herrenhausen Palace, home of the Hanoverian monarchs that now have the British throne.

The palace gardens in Hannover are still very much alive, however, and are some of the most wonderful I've ever seen. More intimate than Versailles, broader than Hampton Court, and with fountains in great quantity and quality, it's definitely fit for kings and queens.

I was to meet DaBrain in Hannover that evening, but due to the aforementioned misunderstanding he ended up at the Neues Rathaus, while I arrived at the Altes Rathaus. (The escape pods were destroyed.) It was an interesting place, though, after all there's not many churches with both pentacles and Stars of David on their towers.

Finally, back to Amsterdam, and a quick tour of the old Heineken brewery. It's a nifty multimedia experience that takes you through the whole beer brewing process, with some rather gratuitous plugging of the Heineken brand, label and history. Your ticket gets you two free drinks at the bar, though in my opinion they should come before the tour instead of after it.

It is now Tuesday the 28th, and the 30th is Holland's national holiday, Queen's Day, where the entire country pours out into the streets and goes absolutely wild. In twenty-four hours this square will be packed with drunk/stoned/high/tripping/horny Dutch wearing orange and partying all day and all night. And I will be one of them.

Stay tuned...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
And I will be one of them.
You'll be Dutch?

BTW, say hi to Tiara for us.  And don't die while going wild; the future depends on you making cutscenes for Scroll. :)

Also, aweXome pictures.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Ooh, Tiara will be in town? Nice. Haven't seen her here in a while. If she sends me a PM I'll tell her where I am.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Tiara actually hasn't been active in quite a while, but I'm pretty sure she and TCO live in Amsterdam.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Well, I found out how they keep it so nice here... the cleaners work really hard. Making my way past the youth hosteling area, this place is looking more like a homeless shelter that survives by renting beds.

I'm gonna take it easy tonight, so I can party hard tomorrow. It sounds like Mardi Gras in New Orleans crossed with the Fourth of July. Whoo!

Awesome stuff Galemp, makes me want to try this sometime. *sigh* I wish I had the guts to go travelling alone.

Car hits fans at Dutch royal show.

Officials said flags are at half mast on government buildings across the country and all planned celebrations have been called off.

The spoilsport...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I told you so.

Everyone got the afternoon off today. It was a heck of a party over the whole city--dancing, music, the beer flowed like water. As well as the festivities, it's a special day because nobody has to pay taxes. That means that everyone can come out and sell whatever they like, as if it was one giant yard sale. I saw everything from swimming flippers to gas masks for sale.

Millions come from outside the city, and the canals are thick with houseboats. There were plenty of boat parties too--small boats with a keg, a boom box, and a dozen people just cruising the canals.

At the end of the day the amount of garbage was staggering. About half of it consisted of Heineken, Amstel, and Grosner beer cans and bottles. The cleanup crews were already at work by the time I got back--the city needs to be spotless for Liberation Day, May 5.

And of course the obligitory shot of me in my regalia, beer in hand. Mom, just be glad I didn't put on any giant orange novelty sunglasses or feather boas.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Well, this has been an interesting few days. Friday was the late night for the museums, so I walked to Museumplein and hit the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum. Miserably expensive, but... it's the Rijksmuseum with THE Nightwatch. I wasn't really familiar with Rembrandt, but now that I've seen his work it's phenomenal. It really does have to be seen in person, because the application of the paint and the contrast in detailing is tremendously inventive.

Right next door is the world's largest collection of Van Goghs, including two self-portraits, Sunflowers, Irises, La Chambre de l'Artiste, lots of earlier and more obscure work (Vincent once painted a crab on its back, in his signature style) and an entire temporary exhibit about Starry Night. No pictures inside, so this will have to do. Rijksmuseum in the background, Van Gogh museum in the foreground.

Today was rather unpleasant, as two people were dismissed from the hostel--one cleaner I had earlier talked to the management about when his loud, profanity-filled and prolonged outbursts at 3 AM were unappreciated later threatened to "kick my ****ing skull in" if I complained again. The other was a staff member whom I had the misfortune to meet after he was fired (which I didn't know; ) after my chores were done I asked if I could help him and was told "**** off, I don't like you."

Naturally I was very self conscious for the rest of the day, but some conversations with the remaining staff assuaged me that the situation had been ongoing and that it had nothing to do with me, or that my complaints were somehow responsible for their dismissal. I'm still a little uneasy after getting on two people's bad sides in one day, but I feel better knowing the staff has taken it seriously.

On a lighter note, today I rode side-saddle on the back of a bike through Amsterdam, which in a city that caters to vice, is probably the most irresponsible and dangerous thing it's actually possible to do; and helped out a scavenger hunt by letting a stranger braid my hair. Also, cleaners get free web access (though still only in 10 or 30 minute chunks.) So, another money savings for me, yay! Here's a photo taken in the courtyard of Oliver, the hostel cat, and one of the iconic Amsterdam bollards. In case you ever doubted that Amsterdam is the world pornography capital, the city's emblem is XXX.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Dutch Scrabble is weird; there's two Zs and no Q. Still, I used all my letters on "Reexhume" which was cool.

Will take photos at Remembrance Day and Liberation Day tonight and tomorrow. See you then!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
May 4th is Remembrance Day, the day in the Netherlands where the war dead from World War II onwards are memorialized in a ceremony at the national war memorial... which happens to be three blocks from where I am now. There's a formal ceremony where the Queen, the Royal Family, and politicians and representatives of all Dutch areas and overseas territories leave flowers and pay their respects. This was the square and the memorial today, with the wreaths laid and the flags flying.

During the ceremony, however, this was the view I had. (That's the memorial on the left.) I got to see the Queen, though!

She's in that photo. Really! You can't see her? She's laying the wreath.  Here's another shot...

Hmm... okay, well, maybe I didn't have the best seat in the house but at least I was there. Today (May 5) was Liberation Day and all the Americans, Canadians, British and Australians are celebrated for their role in freeing the Netherlands in the war. I'm going out with an American friend (Lindsay) tonight; I'm going to try to score us some free drinks. :D

LOVE the pics Lil Cuz. Wonderful BLOGS!  Get lucky yet???

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
DAMN.....was off too long.....just saw you´ve been in cologne.....hope you had a nice time....... even i passed the opportunity to meet you. i´m living 40 km from there..... :rolleyes:
exept the beer, cologne is a nice city  ;7

next time....