Author Topic: st:r with crappy models  (Read 5925 times)

Offline amaroxx

st:r with crappy models
Ok. I dont get it.

In my fs2 root directory there are fsport, fsport-mediavps and fsport-st:r directories.
the ST campaign is avaible everythere, but the st:r campaign only in the fsport-str file.
but with the fsport-str file as mod selected i get non-scp models, backgrounds etc.
with the fsport-mediavps file i get the actual versions, but not the REBORN campaign - only the standard one.

so HOW do i get reborn working WITH scp graphics?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: st:r with crappy models
Well. Please select a debug build in the Launcher with ST:R as the active mod, run it, then post the fs2_open-log from your data directory here.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Can I assume you have MediaVPs installed as well? If so, here's what you need to do.

In your ST:R folder, you'll see a file called mod.ini. Open that in Notepad, and at the bottom you should see a line like this:
Code: [Select]
[multimod]

secondarylist = fsport;

You'll need to change that line so it pulls in the FSPort and standard Media VPs in the proper order. Change it to this:
[multimod]
secondarylist = fsport_mediavps,fsport,mediavps;

If your folders have different names, edit accordingly.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That's not the proper order. ;)  Unfortunately, the launcher has a bug in it where it's impossible to apply the proper order.  So here's what you do.  Select "No Mod" in the mod section, and then add this as a custom command line option:

-mod fsport-mediavps,fsport-str,fsport,mediavps

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Isn't that what the primarylist is for?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Actually Goob, ST:R data should override FSPort MVPs data. If he edits my data into his INI, it will load ST:R as primary and all those as secondary. So, yes, this IS the proper order IF he doesn't hyphenate his mod directories UNLESS he's using a newer bugfixed launcher.

But your way will work too, if he picks No Mod.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Isn't that what the primarylist is for?
That's the launcher bug I mentioned.  For some reason 5.5e doesn't handle primarylist correctly.

Actually Goob, ST:R data should override FSPort MVPs data.
O rly?  What if he wants the high poly Faustus?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It does work for me.....Provided I use the old workaround for the "-" problem. Using underscores in place of dashes does make it work.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You should really be using dashes instead of underscores though.  Both in your mod.ini and in your folder names.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Why not underscores?
Dashes mess up the old launcher (and should be fine for the new one), but why not underscores?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Dashes have been partially fixed in the new one. Still, using underscores is the best option as long as it isn't fixed, IMHO.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It is fixed in the launcher.

Dashes are required for people using ST:R and FSPort on retail FS2.  In order to keep everything consistent, we want everyone to use dashes.

Offline -Norbert-

That's how I got it to work for me (works both with the d and the e version of the launcher), thanks to the help of the people over in the Silent Thread Reborn forum.

I have one folder called SilentThreatReborn in which I have the two STR vp files and the following entry in the mod.ini
[multimod]
primarylist = FSPort;
secondarylist = ;

And a secend folder called STRMediaVP to link STR with the Media VPs (which I select as active mod to play) with a mod.ini like this:
[multimod]
primarylist = FSPortMediavp,SilentThreatReborn;
secondarylist = FSPort,MediaVPs;

I guess the easiest way to avoid problems with underscore vs dash is to simply not use either and instead use capital letters to orientate yourself within a folder name  :P even though I have to admit those aren't my actual foldernames (currently I'm also using underscores  :o ).

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I guess the easiest way to avoid problems with underscore vs dash is to simply not use either and instead use capital letters
That's even worse than the underscore.

Offline -Norbert-

And why would that be?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
What I don't understand is why you go to such great lengths to preserve retail compatibility at all (which is basically worthless!), and really just limits what you can do...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
And why would that be?
For the same reason that it can't be an underscore.  It has to be a character that comes lexicographically before letters or numbers in the ASCII character set.  Of the 11 characters available, the dash seemed to be the best choice.

What I don't understand is why you go to such great lengths to preserve retail compatibility at all (which is basically worthless!), and really just limits what you can do...
Let's please not go through this again. :rolleyes:  If you're still mindlessly spouting that talking point then you obviously haven't been paying attention.