Author Topic: Balance observations in FSP(+Other stuff)  (Read 2816 times)

Balance observations in FSP(+Other stuff)
I promise I'll try not to rant.

Avenger is still too weak (I know you 'boosted it' recently) compared to FS1 in FSPort.
Athena's are ...well, I don't know what they are, they're not a fighter and they take ramming damage from Manticores (...).

Backgrounds in the FSPort MediaVP missions - some include multiple stars.
Why do this?
Is one ugly circular blob which completely blinds you per system not enough, or worse tiny little dot's of stars that blind as brightly as the normal system stars?

The Kayser (Oops I mean Banshee honest), isn't quite right either, I can't put my finger on it though, it's not about it's damage, it's more about it's ...physics?

Bomb(shot down in flight explosions) too big.
Just far too big, the mega bomb/harbinger explosions were about the size of a square block of tightly packed small terran cargo containersm the shockwave moved extremely quickly, and didn't do any damage unless you had no shielding, not the size of mount everest and super-slow moving and instagib light fighters with max shields (I realise this one is also related to SCP code but still it's sortable in fred).

Overall you've done a great job overall and the campaign certainly feels FS1ish but there are some seriously frustrating differences atmo especially if you're playing on harder difficulties ;\

/tried not to >.>
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Balance observations in FSP(+Other stuff)
All ships and weapons in the Port have the exact same stats that they did in FS1.  I even ran a file compare (multiple times) to verify this.

Some backgrounds have multiple stars for aesthetic purposes.  If you don't want to be blinded, don't look directly at the star.

Offline Solatar

I haven't really noticed some of these things to be honest.

The Avenger is (as Goober stated) exactly the same, and any problems with the Athena should be addressed to Volition (or don't run into other fighters). I am one that prefers the Avenger over the Prometheus, and it's definitely not too weak.

I haven't really had a problem shooting down bombs unless I blast them at point blank range (which you shouldn't be doing anyway).

The Banshee looks a bit different from the original FreeSpace one, but the speed/physics are exactly the same.

The only real balance issue in the Port is FreeSpace 2's improved missile tracking, and you haven't seemed to notice that.

I get the impression the avenger is too weak because the AI manage their shields better (in general, without the flag let alone with, but the practical upshot is it's virtually useless compared to the same weapon in Fs1).

Since when is blinding people aesthetic :P?
And the bombs are definitely, definitely, not the same, values or otherwise their explosions when shot down in flight have gone from a very slight annoyance to a major hazard.
Heck, you used to be able to ram bombs (on both games) and come out unscratched if you couldn't shoot them down for whatever reason (disarmed/depleted weapon energy), do that now and you'll probably die, I realise it's an SCP 'problem' but it heavily effects how true the gameplay of the port is to FS1, and the values can be changed to fix it.

Banshee being looks is fine if that's the case.

If you don't have a problem with the Avenger you should try playing on insane :P
I need to go back and test the athena properly but I'm pretty sure it didn't lose 25% hull in a heavy collision with a light fighter. :P

As for missile tracking... I don't use intercepters/hornets much and if I do I don't put any faith in them/don't pay much attention to them hense probably not noticing :P
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline -Norbert-

If you think the bombs in the FS2 campaign with SCP are hazardous, try playing through Blue Planet.
After that, shooting down bombs in the FS2 campaign without being blown up will be a walk in the park... :nod:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
And the bombs are definitely, definitely, not the same, values or otherwise their explosions when shot down in flight have gone from a very slight annoyance to a major hazard.

Heck, you used to be able to ram bombs (on both games) and come out unscratched if you couldn't shoot them down for whatever reason (disarmed/depleted weapon energy), do that now and you'll probably die, I realise it's an SCP 'problem' but it heavily effects how true the gameplay of the port is to FS1, and the values can be changed to fix it.
Uh, you've got that exactly wrong.  Go fire up FS1 and play a bombing mission (like Evangelist) or a defense mission (like Tenderizer).  Being next to an exploding bomb will kill your subsystems and sometimes disable you outright.

This is one of the things that was different between FS1 and FS2, and it's even commented as such in the source code.  We added a flag that restores the FS1 behavior if you're running FreeSpace Open.