Hosted Projects - FS2 Required > Blue Planet

SVN Commit of the Day/capship command discussion

<< < (2/68) > >>

Scotty:
Got a little captain in you?  Autonomous gunnery all the way.

Although, for main guns, I dunno.  The promise of DAKKA makes me want to be pulling the trigger...

Droid803:

--- Quote from: General Battuta on July 11, 2010, 10:21:32 pm ---It's surprisingly fun. I thought it'd be a clumsy bore but it's exciting.

One thing we're debating right now is whether to place the main guns under player control (i.e. press shoot to SHOOT THE GUNS) or leave them as part of the ship's fire control system (you select a target, the AI handles shot placement.)

I know it sounds like the first solution is the obvious one, but there's so much to keep track of already that it almost feels more fun to let your gunnery people handle the gunnery.

--- End quote ---

The forward guns you mean? I'd feel it's a lot more satisfying if you get to push the button and watch things asplode, rather than wait for the AI to do it. :P
'specially if you could get them to fire straight (ie. no autoaim, point your ship!)

General Battuta:

--- Quote from: Droid803 on July 11, 2010, 11:08:47 pm ---
--- Quote from: General Battuta on July 11, 2010, 10:21:32 pm ---It's surprisingly fun. I thought it'd be a clumsy bore but it's exciting.

One thing we're debating right now is whether to place the main guns under player control (i.e. press shoot to SHOOT THE GUNS) or leave them as part of the ship's fire control system (you select a target, the AI handles shot placement.)

I know it sounds like the first solution is the obvious one, but there's so much to keep track of already that it almost feels more fun to let your gunnery people handle the gunnery.

--- End quote ---

The forward guns you mean? I'd feel it's a lot more satisfying if you get to push the button and watch things asplode, rather than wait for the AI to do it. :P
'specially if you could get them to fire straight (ie. no autoaim, point your ship!)

--- End quote ---

You'd think so, but in combat, you've got so much to track that constantly mashing 'fire' might just turn into a distraction. Plus the guns would need to have their field of fire somewhat reduced to make them player-usable. Plus they'd need to be tabled in a roundabout way using 'burst' since normally player weapons cannot have a firewait > 1 second or so.

Plus it's just...not what a captain does.

It could be fun. Not sure yet. Balancing the satisfaction of unleashing mass drivers and gauss cannons versus the need to focus on situational awareness and captaining rather than GUNS GUNS GUNS.

Decisions will be made.

Colonol Dekker:
You gonna fit strike craft deployment into this system as well?

Ie- launch and recovery.

General Battuta:

--- Quote from: Dekker on July 12, 2010, 02:31:20 am ---You gonna fit strike craft deployment into this system as well?

Ie- launch and recovery.

--- End quote ---

One of the first things we tried, but it doesn't work yet; wings can't arrive from a player fighterbay.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version