Author Topic: FSF's Shipbuilding tutorial (image-heavy warning)  (Read 27029 times)

Re: FSF's Shipbuilding tutorial (image-heavy warning)
Go to the FS Tools board, look for a guy called "Spicious" - the links to the bleeding edge PCS2 build and DLL pack are in his signature.

Glad it's of some use :)

There should really be a more prominent link location to the current PCS2 build. Can an admin insert the link into "Important PCS2 Threads" under the FS Tools board? That's where it belongs imho.

Cheers on where to find it -- found it, and it makes a heck of a difference!  :D
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline rhettro

Great post FSF!

A couple of questions. The AO Bake texture is to be used for the difuse map correct?  So we can start drawing on it directly? Is the correct procedure then to create the matching shine, glow, normal maps at 4096 res as well and then scale them down prior to porting to PC2?  On the topic of Blender, I can't find the script loader in the mesh menu on version 2.59.  Is that something that is still 2.49 only?  Thanks again.

Yes, the AO bake is the base of your diffuse map; however, drawing on it directly would be the wrong way of using it. Just make the diffuse texture as you normally would, then use the AO as a multiply layer over it. Shine, glow and normal maps should NOT have the AO.

Personally I prefer working on all four maps in high resolution and keeping the working copies somewhere, in case you want to get back to a texture later, or for rendering purposes. But 4096x4096 textures would be triple overkill for a fighter/bomber; in most cases, 1024 looks just as good in-game.

Since Blender 2.56 or something you first have to enable the scripts you want to use - in the User Preferences window, Add-Ons tab. When you expand a script, it will tell you where you can find it when enabled. However, the script collection for 2.5 seems to currently be much smaller than that of 2.49 - the poly reducer, for instance, appears to be missing.

Offline rhettro

Awesome! I think I'm finally on the right track. 

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
when can we expect to see tips for turrets and capships? you pretty much skipped the turrets entirely. i'm dying to know how because the only tutorial about turrets is for 3ds max.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Hm, I kinda assumed that by the time you want turrets, you'd be familiar enough with Blender and the conversion process to follow the Blender to POF guide on the Wiki. It's not a step-by-step tutorial, but close enough that it should be easy to follow when you're through with mine.

Just a note that blender has an excellent fracture script that helped me immensely when creating debris.  It's disabled by default, and you can enable it in user preferences. 

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
I use max, and this tut was helpful to me for the setup and using pofsc2, so I just want to say thanks

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
when can we expect to see tips for turrets and capships? you pretty much skipped the turrets entirely. i'm dying to know how because the only tutorial about turrets is for 3ds max.
F$%&% turreting in Blender, Max etc. Make them in PCS2.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken