Author Topic: Silent Threat Reborn Crash  (Read 3657 times)

Silent Threat Reborn Crash
For some reason, when I start the second mission in ST:R, the game crashes with a long list of errors (missing stuff, etc.).

This is with "fred2_open_3_6_12r_INF", but when I run "fred2_open_3_6_12d_INF", the game crashes without even showing anything at all.
Is there some special requirement for running ST:R?

Offline Sobbsy

Re: Silent Threat Reborn Crash
You know, I had this same issue last night. My problem probably isn't the same as yours, but I did notice that in the mod.ini file it listed several directories it needed to function properly. You see, I had my 3.6.12 mediavps folder named 'mediavps_3612', whereas ST:R was looking for it under the name 'mediavps'. A quick rename of my mediavps_3612 folder to mediavps resolved all the issues.

Go into the ST:R mod folder, open up mod.ini and take a look at what other mod directories it lists as a requirement, and make sure you have those in place in your Freespace 2 directory. From memory I think it needs the original Freespace Port, Silent Threat and the MediaVPs.

That's the only advice I can really offer sorry, as that's what was happening in my case.  :yes:

*edit* I see from some other postings in this section that everyone's recommending you keep a 3.6.10 MediaVP install in a folder just called 'mediavps' and a 3.6.12 version under 'mediavps_3612', to retain compatibility with certain mods. In my case, I had my 3.6.10 install folder labelled 'mediavps_3610' and my 3.6.12 folder labelled 'mediavps_3612', so that would have been MY main problem. Regardless, renaming my 3.6.12 install to 'mediavps' got ST:R working beautifully for the time being, and there's nothing stopping you from just changing it back when you're done playing it to avoid any problems with other mods...

Hope this isn't confusing for you!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:01:55 pm by Sobbsy »

If that is the case (which is probably is), where can I get mediavps 3.6.10?
I don't actually have it. So, that is probably what is causing the problem.

EDIT:
I found it, and yep, that was the problem.
Thank you for your help~
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:31:01 pm by JerichoDeath »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What? No. This is all wrong.

Please go here, here, and here.

Download the necessary files, follow the instructions and run. Please use a Nightly build as well, to ensure it works. ST:R has been updated to use 3.6.12.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

What? No. This is all wrong.

Please go here, here, and here.

Download the necessary files, follow the instructions and run. Please use a Nightly build as well, to ensure it works. ST:R has been updated to use 3.6.12.
:blah:
... but it worked...

Still, I'll look at that. Although, I'm not having problems anymore.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you want to stick with that 3.6.10 configuration, that's fine. However, I won't support it. I know the 3.6.12 updates work if you have them installed correctly.

If you want to stick with that 3.6.10 configuration, that's fine. However, I won't support it. I know the 3.6.12 updates work if you have them installed correctly.
What's the difference...?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Aside from the newer HTL models, bugfixes, Hi-res ANIs, and hi-res cutscenes?

Aside from the newer HTL models, bugfixes, Hi-res ANIs, and hi-res cutscenes?
*shrug*
Looked great while I was playing it. Maybe I'll see if I can spot the difference when I do this.