Author Topic: Missing HUD  (Read 4252 times)

Offline GrahamO

The last thread on this terminated over two years ago without the OP answering so here's a new question - my HUD is missing.

Without the mediavps, the game runs fine without problems. When I select the mediavps and 'activate' then the briefings etc are okay but when the game starts, the HD is entirely missing.

fs2_open.log attached

It makes no difference if I run 3.6.17 or a 3.6.17 variant to get around graphics problems with exhaust animations appearing as black boxes - no HUD in either case.

I'm running on OSX and can run AoA, BP, Tenebra just fine.

I've also attached ascreenshot of my directory and contents in case there is a misplaced file somewhere.

TIA.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Try not using a BP build. There's a reason they made one specifically for the mod.

http://swc.fs2downloads.com/builds/OSX/FS2_Open-3.6.18.dmg

I R stupid. Fixed for mac.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 11:54:33 am by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline GrahamO

Thanks.

Tried that.

Got the mediavps running certainly judging by the sparkly new ships, but still no HUD at all.

Logfile attached running in the above debug mode.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Shot in the dark here, since you have everything: Go to your mod.ini in the FSPort folder. put fsport-mediavps in the primary list field and mediavps-3612 in the secondary list field.

After that I have no clue.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Build has nothing to do with it. However, you probably should not be running BP builds for anything other than BP... I know ya'all want deferred lighting and shadows and all that jazz.. but damn.. can't anyone (including the BP team) just wait for things to come down the pipe with full testing.. sheesh..

I'm nearly positive that your issue is do to your HUD resolution and the fact that FSPort probably didn't consider it when building their HUD tables. I can't view the files currently, but you can try to rip out the hud_gauges.tbl or -hdg.tbm and make a single line change that should fix the problem. (Save to fsport\data\tables.)

Find $Required Aspect:, $Min:, $Max: in the tbl/tbm. Make sure that the aspect is widescreen and that the min/max values include your resolution. To that end, you can just remove $Max: and it should solve your problem.

No, it's not your mod.ini either. Don't change that.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Build has nothing to do with it. However, you probably should not be running BP builds for anything other than BP... I know ya'all want deferred lighting and shadows and all that jazz.. but damn.. can't anyone (including the BP team) just wait for things to come down the pipe with full testing.. sheesh..

We really wanted to but we literally would still be waiting for release.  :(

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
ok, so someone ripped the mv_root-hdg.tbm for me. (that's the file you need to fix/change/edit.)

The one I was shown already doesn't have a $max field.. so first thing I'd like you to do is rip that file and just put it in fsport-mediavps\data\tables and see if you get a HUD then.

Better yet, here's the table data. Save that as mv_root-hdg.tbm in the previously mentioned folder.

Offline GrahamO

Thanks - a point of clarification .....

That didn't work but I downrated the resolution to 1920x1080 and its back.

It must not like the 2560x1440 scale.

Thank you very much for the help !

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well.. that at least confirms that there is some -hdg.tbm in the load path that is limiting the resolution that the HUD uses. Perhaps FSPort can get on the ball, find it, and fix it. Weee for FSPort bugs cause overly complicated mod.

Offline Yarn

Do you have any *-hdg.tbm files in mediavps_3612/data/tables? That might be the culprit.

(I sure wish I could test super-high resolutions... but then again, how many of us can?)

EDIT: Also, where are you saving that file? It should go in fsport-mediavps/data/tables (not fsport/data/tables), and it must be named mv_root-hdg.tbm.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:48:06 pm by Yarn »
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline GrahamO

Do you have any *-hdg.tbm files in mediavps_3612/data/tables? That might be the culprit.

No, there are no subfolders at all inside the mediavps_3612 folder. there is however a data/tables folder at the same level as the mediavps_3612 folder - see my screenshot of folder structuer higher up the thread. Thats where I put the file and it seems to work, on all resolutions except the highest one (I am using a a 27" iMac)

Offline Yarn

No, there are no subfolders at all inside the mediavps_3612 folder. there is however a data/tables folder at the same level as the mediavps_3612 folder - see my screenshot of folder structuer higher up the thread. Thats where I put the file and it seems to work, on all resolutions except the highest one (I am using a a 27" iMac)

Do you mean Freespace 2/data/tables? That's the wrong place to put it. Rarely should you ever put anything in the main data folder. Please move (not copy) the file to Freespace 2/fsport-mediavps/data/tables. (Create the folders if they don't exist.)
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline GrahamO

Do you mean Freespace 2/data/tables? That's the wrong place to put it. Rarely should you ever put anything in the main data folder.

I did and it works, but I will follow your guidance and move it when I am next home. One minor question - the original suggestion implied  that there should be subfolders of mediavps_3612 called /data/tables.

I don't have any subfolders nor any tables - is this something wrong or normal ?

It seems strange that putting the right file in the completely worng folder gets the right outcome - this is why I gave up software 30 years ago when Fortan was starting out - it makes my brain hurt ;)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It's normal to not have the data folder in any of your mod subfolders: they're not used by most mods once they're packaged into .vps, so they wouldn't be included in mod releases normally.  It'll work just fine if you create the folders yourself.

But yeah, you shouldn't put anything at all into your main FS2 directory's data/tables folder, since it'd override retail data and potentially screw up whatever you're trying to play.  About the only things you can get away with putting into the main data folder at all are plain stand-alone missions.