Author Topic: Language filter bleeps out links (still)  (Read 3342 times)

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Language filter bleeps out links (still)
This post: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=53623.msg1733779#msg1733779

The issue arose about a year or so ago when links to programming-mother****er.com would fail in the same manner. The work "****" would be bleeped out in the link URL, thereby invalidating the link destination entirely.

Perhaps make a redirect page that warns users that have the language filter on that "vulgar" language may be on the link, and have a user-settings option to automatically dismiss the warning and just redirect anyway?
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: Language filter bleeps out links (still)
I believe I mentioned this in connection with image links during my first let's play as well, but...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This bug has been around for a long time, and one would need to dig into the forum code to fix it.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
This bug has been around for a long time, and one would need to dig into the forum code to fix it.
Well thats why we have admins around... right?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
We could just drop the whole language filter, since we're not a bunch of five year old children (and even many of those know the word "****"). Just a thought.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

We could simply default the language filter to "off" instead of "on", so that it won't mess with links when you post, unless you have it set to "on."

(Unless that's unrelated to the issue at hand)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
It might be worthwhile to check out MyBB as potential replacement to SMF. MyBB uses a plugin system that utilizes hooks. Unlike SMF, MyBB lets you add plugins and themes without having to modify original sources. Something that has been a huge pain in the ass to maintain with SMF, as you are aware.

http://www.mybb.com/features/plugin-system

And a comparison of four forums:
http://www.forum-software.org/forum-comparator/mybb-vs-phpbb3-vs-simple-machines-2-vs-vbulletin4

Another thing to note, whenever I've seen live demos of various forums in forum-software.org or opensourcecms.com for example, SMF has always had many spam posts compared to others.

Or you can stick with SMF and keep waiting for their ambitious next-generation SMF software, might take a good while...

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Well thats why we have admins around... right?
Admins !~ coders.  Two very different disciplines.  Just saying.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Yes, and?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Yes, and?
Just becasue someone is an admin doesn't mean they can fix/change things in the code of the forum, which is what the quoted post was implying as I read it.

If that is not the case, feel free to disregard my post.

Getting back on topic (sort of), I don't have an opinion on switching forum packages.  From my perspective, it's an HTML front-end with a DB back-end, the actual code is (usually) irrelevant.  Goober and Sammich would be the ones I would look at first if a forum package switch was being considered.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I hope it isn't(and don't think it is by anyone except for Fury). Every time we've done something like that it's been messy, and the system we have now actually works pretty well IMO, especially regarding the forum/main page integration.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
We could simply default the language filter to "off" instead of "on", so that it won't mess with links when you post, unless you have it set to "on."

(Unless that's unrelated to the issue at hand)

Well the problem is that the links for users with the language filter on are bleeped out, not just the text shown on the post but in the URL string that is passed to the browser.

It doesn't matter if the poster has the filter on or off when they make the post, because users with the filter off can still see the language in its un-bleeped state.

I hope it isn't(and don't think it is by anyone except for Fury). Every time we've done something like that it's been messy, and the system we have now actually works pretty well IMO, especially regarding the forum/main page integration.

I agree, this is something that I would classify as a "petty nuisance,"  and maybe deserves a notice, place in a FAQ, or a sticky about it until a good solution can be reached.

Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Reasonably good end-user experience does not mean the forum itself is straightforward to maintain long-term. SMF has been horrible in this regard because it requires admins to almost always modify forum sources to apply modifications. It is really painful to maintain and I know that from first-hand experience, as I used to be HLP admin for several years. Any forum software that can potentially make away with such a nuisance is well worth consideration.