Author Topic: General forum game discussion  (Read 63796 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: General forum game discussion
I may be missing the point. If it's misinformation why would anyone pay attention to it? I suppose you could put something truthful in there amongst the garbage to try and make someone think it was false.

Misinformation if recongnized is also "actionable intelligence", in a "against the left side, off the table, through the door and against the Bulsar's head yesterday"1-kind of way. If you know that you are being lied to you are often half-way to determiniting why you are being lied to as well, which in turn reveals where the other wants to guide your attention to and away from.

Imagine being a sceptic at a magician's show. You know it is all an act, that all the sweeping gestures and beautiful assistants are just there to distract you from things happening elsewhere on the stage. As you are not dazzeled by the theatrics you can actually see hints of the hidden compartment in the chair/box/bottom of the stage and hence know how the trick works, all because you see what the magician is attempting to distract you from.
(However you being a sceptic doesn't dissuade the magician from his/her act as long as there is audience that is not sceptic and falls for the distractions.)

1 - while not an acutal quote (couldn't find the right book) a tribute to the late Sir Terry Pratchett
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I am uncertain what the benefit would be to posting into this BB
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline 0rph3u5

I am uncertain what the benefit would be to posting into this BB

Firstly, you can use it as tool for misinformation from an official side without being recongnized, kicking out a Red Hering. Since it is per se marked as unreliable information it may not work but then again no one knows that s.o. posting information about DD fleet movements is in fact the SF Minister.

Secondly, players can use it to post information and oppinions unfiltered by their own faction. E.g. in the case of dissention inside a faction, esspecially with the faction leaders in place, one side may use this to call out to players on another faction to help them shift the internal discussion through external pressure. (Remember despite disagreements inside a faction all players of that faction may "walk the company line" when they are in an open converstation)

Lastly, you can be as creative as you can get as this is purely player created content. I mean you could use it as a joint forum to talk with your allies if you employ some encoding techniques but that would just be elaboratily silly  ... or wouldn't it be?

Since facilitating annonymity is most easily achived by using Spoon as go between, he can also impliment the same rules that apply to open treason via the faction leaders in case of excessive whistleblowing
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:41:16 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
RE: misinformation, Lorric's right. Who'd want to post accurate intel on a public forum in the first place? It'd be only useful for really complicated reverse-psychology mindgames that probably won't work anyway.

RE: open criticism:

A: Given that the criticism could only be coming from 2-3 people within the faction, it's still probably fairly obvious who's doing it. And that creates drama.

B: It's better to simply talk things over with your fellow faction members, rather than complain to everyone and start more drama than necessary.

C: It'd be really easy for complainers to accidentally betray inside intel, which ruins the game for the rest of your faction.

RE: joint forum, we've already got PMs and the internals (since Gather Intel is no longer an issue.)
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Lorric

Yeah, if I end up being a minister in the main game, I won't want anything to do with such a thing. That's both stuff being posted into it or paying attention to stuff others put in.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Question... What are we testing here?

To Minister Headdie of the Sol Union,

Your unprovoked invasion of the United Guilds of Commerce has shocked the civilized world. Allies or not, none of us can stand idly by while you turn your guns on your neighbors. Rather than discuss your grievances with the UGC via bilateral or multilateral diplomacy, you have broken your non-aggression pacts and returned to the ways of crude brute force.

We of the United Guilds of Commerce, Delest Dynasty, and New Britannia have formed a united front against this aggression. We have all agreed on the following stipulations, drafted by Delest Premier Kalazonitov:

The three nations (UGC, DD, CRF, henceforth referred to as the 'Alliance') will, as suggested by the CRF, present a joint ultimatum to the SU. They will need to withdraw to their own territory without firing on UGC forces, or face our combined fleets.

If they fail to do so, the Alliance will declare war on the SU. By extension, all truces, non-aggression treaties and alliances involving an Alliance member and the SU will become null and void.

In the above circumstances, the war will be pursued until the SU provides us with war reparations to the satisfaction of the Alliance members; the UGC, as the attacked party, will be the primary judge on this matter but war reparations will have to be paid to all Alliance members that have suffered casualties during combat.

The income from Aldebaran will be divided, as suggested by the CRF and UGC, in three equal parts between the Alliance members.

The acceptance of the above terms by the DD is subject to the resolution of the Aldebaran standoff.(...)

Once the Delest and Britannia have settled our dispute over Aldebaran [by next Strategy Phase], consider these terms in effect.

We beg you, withdraw your declaration of war, and we can settle this matter without loss of life. If not, we will expel you from Fomalhaut with lethal force.

Make the right choice, for all our sakes.

Yours in Honor and Resolve,
Britannian Foreign Secretary Lepanto
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Umm... whether three different factions with their own agendas can form a united diplomatic and military front against a fourth faction, I guess?

Spoiler:
If you want to covertly undermine our alliance against you, go ahead and try.

If Spoon wants to veto this or something, go ahead.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The feasibility of fighting 3v1 odds, by the 2nd UGCR & followed by the SU? :D
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm not gonna veto, just be aware that I am fully supporting SF's cause  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Veers

I'm not gonna veto, just be aware that I am fully supporting SF's cause  :p

Obvious information is obvious.
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

The problem with the RP in its current state is that few of us are doing it and all beside each other, esspecially consideirng Minister gameplay somewhat bottlenecks information ... I mean the initial exchange between AdmiralRalwood and myself in the Aldebaran stand-off is was nice and tense  but I only know that he and the CRF players got to see it (and after the initial exchange it hardly required continuing because I got all the info I wanted out of it :) )
That's true and since quite a lot happens via PMs there is no way to release any exchanges. In this case the DD people obviously got to see it as well and it was a nice read. Diplomacy is just running so fast that the exchange might not be relevant anymore...
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I might do something daft like release some or all of the messages at the end of the game just to see what ppl think

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
I support the suggestion  to release game related PMs at game end. They're a vital part of the game's progression.

Offline Lorric

I support the suggestion  to release game related PMs at game end. They're a vital part of the game's progression.
Seems like a good idea to me, but I would make sure everyone else is okay with it first before doing so.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Fine with me
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Seems like a good idea to me, but I would make sure everyone else is okay with it first before doing so.

Yer checking would be a good idea

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Fine with me as well :)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline 0rph3u5

Fine with me as well, but then I will have to start saving those...

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

Full disclosure: I just took my copy of The Art of War off the shelve ... soooo, it's on, I guess ;)

EDIT: to clarify: Sun Tzu not Machiavelli - don't know where I put my copies of Machiavelli's works (I actually own The Prince and his The Art of War)

==================

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Excuse the delay, was getting to it but then a technophobe friend of mine called because he had accidently managed to make his windows installation unbootable. I spend some time on the phone to help him getting it fixed. Next turn should be up within the hour!

Edit: And it's up. As usual let me know if I was dumb and forgot something or did something wrong.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 03:05:00 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them