Author Topic: GTVA Colossus VS SSD Lucifer  (Read 4166 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: GTVA Colossus VS SSD Lucifer
I don't see why the shield render would be any different. Just apply the same kind of shield hit you have on a fighter, but on the local part of the Lucifer instead ?

Rendering or collision detection aren't the issue here; FS2 already had all the necessary tools in place to make this reasonably performant. For that matter, FS1 had those mechanisms in play as well; What I am guessing is that :V: wanted to avoid a situation where players would duck under the shields and bypass them completely.

"We developed a brand new type of weapon, the GTX-Santa. It temporarily disables the shields of your target within a range of 150 meters, for 30 seconds. Use it just before bombing the Lucifer, on the part that you want to bomb."

That's something the engine actually couldn't do without some major reworking of how shields work internally. We could do such a thing now, I think, given that we have support for more than 4 shield section in place, but back in FS2? No way. Not without engineering cost which :V: was obviously unwilling to pay, given the time constraints they were under.

You'll find that most of the time, such things "begging" for an explanation in games, are 99% due to technical limitations. Regarding the shield, you should be aware that the shield mechanic in fighters means that another mesh is applied to the ship, which only renders some vague vertex to vertex shader when your lazors hit it. The problem I could see with doing this with the Lucifer is how it's just too big, which means that its shields' mesh would also be too big, and not only would it become ugly as ****, it would also probably create a huge confusion in the collision code.

There is also that. The shields on fighters look "right", but given how primitive the shield effect code was, achieving similar results on something the size and shape of the lucifer would involve creating a fairly hi-poly shield mesh, which carried a lot of cost back then (I'd guess that a Luci shield mesh would have more polygons than the retail Luci herself)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Thank you for the replies.

I just wanted to see it real time like in a mission. So, could anyone make a small mission so that we could have a look how it would be.

Again, its just for reference purposes and for my analysis only.
Requiescat in pace

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
I'm pretty sure someone did make a mission to test that out (I think it was Androgeos Exeunt, but I'm not sure).

Alternatively, you could start up FRED and make a mission yourself to see what happens.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Doesn’t the Lucifer just have two sreds? The Colossus will macerate it, unless you turn on the Lucifer’s invulnerability flag.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
It does, but the test mission I remember had the SReds swapped out for Super Lasers. The Colossus still won, but the Lucifer actually put up a fight.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Doesn’t the Lucifer just have two sreds? The Colossus will macerate it, unless you turn on the Lucifer’s invulnerability flag.
Well of course the Lucifer will win if it's invulnerable. The real question is once you make it a fair fight and make both of them invulnerable, THEN who will win?