Author Topic: BETA RELEASE: Revenge Final Conflict  (Read 33941 times)

Offline CT27

Re: BETA RELEASE: Revenge Final Conflict
and why is this removed from knosses

Presumably because there are a ton of technical problems with missions throughout.

Also, thanks Novachen.  Presumably this means there will be a Beta 6 in the future?

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
and why is this removed from knosses

I have my reasons.
How to describe it without to have an emotional outburst?

i think it is enough to say, that i am sulking right now.

Also, thanks Novachen.  Presumably this means there will be a Beta 6 in the future?

Yes sure.
If i did not have projects that have more priority right now, i would say "Frak this release and wait for my multi-language capable one" for which i have to check and to play every mission by myself anyway.
But because i do not have the time (Because we are talking about 88 missions, which also need a big bunch of motivation) i try to fixing all reported mission bugs, so that this release here is at least playable and that the missions work as intended.

Not only i can use the fixes myself for the later version, but also there is something playable until then, which gives me the time to create an enhanced release of it (if you see a proper multi-language version with maybe some additions/rebalancings as such) in peace when i have time for this.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline CT27

Thanks Novachen.  I look forward to you releasing Beta 6 so I can progress in the campaign.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Have to say "Transport" was indeed not so easy. I recreated it for the most time and it is still a challenging mission for a fourth one of 88, because you have to evaluate if you can risk to leave the convoy to attack the beam cannons on the cruiser, which you actually have to do to win this mission for sure. But i do not remember that the GVC Aten has a max speed of 100 m/s :lol:

So another Release.

There were downloadlinks that are not up-to-date anymore.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:32:57 am by Novachen »
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline CT27

Thanks.  I was able to get through "Transport" and the mission after that (mission 5).  A minor error on "Transport" though that I noticed was that even though I got all three transports through, I saw both the success and fail debriefing text (though there was success music and I was able to progress).

However, I ran into a campaign stopping error again.  After I beat mission 5 and hit 'next', the game crashed and I got this error:
Error: Invalid ship class name.

In sexpression: ( when
   ( has-arrived-delay
      "GTVA Marco Polo"
   )
   ( allow-ship "GTVA Marco Polo" )
)
(Error appears to be: GTVA Marco Polo)
File: missionparse.cpp
Line: 5769

ntdll.dll! NtWaitForSingleObject + 10 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 156 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_1_20171031_e2d8502_x64_SSE2.exe! <no symbol>
kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 13 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlUserThreadStart + 29 bytes

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Thanks.  I was able to get through "Transport" and the mission after that (mission 5).  A minor error on "Transport" though that I noticed was that even though I got all three transports through, I saw both the success and fail debriefing text (though there was success music and I was able to progress).

Bah, there was a "not - is-destroyed-delay" in this debriefing stage instead of "is-destroyed-delay"... will fix it.

You reached the Bonus objective...
Have to ask you some questions about it. Had you problems with it? On which difficulty you are playing? Did you use Maxim/Trebuchet for that or have you done that with the normal loadout?
Because if you have done this with the normal loadout and did not have any problems with it, then i have to tweak it more, because the mission is too easy then, because it is actually intended that only two of the transports should go through by a normal progress through this mission with the default loadout.

However, I ran into a campaign stopping error again.  After I beat mission 5 and hit 'next', the game crashed and I got this error:

Ah, i feared that this error would appear after the changes in Beta 5. But i did not know in which mission this entry is. So thanks for finding out :).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:39:01 am by Novachen »

Offline CT27

Bah, there was a "not - is-destroyed-delay" in this debriefing stage instead of "is-destroyed-delay"... will fix it.

You reached the Bonus objective...
Have to ask you some questions about it. Had you problems with it? On which difficulty you are playing? Did you use Maxim/Trebuchet for that or have you done that with the normal loadout?
Because if you have done this with the normal loadout and did not have any problems with it, then i have to tweak it more, because the mission is too easy then, because it is actually intended that only two of the transports should go through by a normal progress through this mission with the default loadout.

Ah, i feared that this error would appear after the changes in Beta 5. But i did not know in which mission this entry is. So thanks for finding out :).

In mission 4 "Transport" I was playing on Very Easy at the time.  I flew an Erinyes and took Maxim+Kayser for my primaries and two banks of Trebs for secondaries.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
No additions or event reorganizations of the missions in this version, only the corrections for the errors that were mentioned. So i release the next version as Beta 6b instead of 7. (Even i get the feeling that it would be faster, if someone reFRED this whole campaign due to the fredding errors in the original :D)

Current version is now here.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 07:42:39 am by Novachen »

can you put it on knosses agein

Offline CT27

I ran into a minor glitch on the mission "...and hunted".
I disabled the fighter like I was supposed to.  It got captured and left the system successfully.  However, in the debriefing I got success and failure text.

Unfortunately, I also ran into a mission error that was more serious and made progression impossible.  In the next mission, mission 30 "Out Of The Blue", I used the TAGs on enemy targets like I was supposed to.  However, the beam cannons from Earth never fired on them like the mission said they would so enemy ships can't get destroyed there.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 04:06:07 am by CT27 »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter

I am actually not sure if it's worth it right now, because there are so many errors in this one.

I disabled the fighter like I was supposed to.  It got captured and left the system successfully.  However, in the debriefing I got success and failure text.

Unfortunately, I also ran into a mission error that was more serious and made progression impossible.  In the next mission, mission 30 "Out Of The Blue", I used the TAGs on enemy targets like I was supposed to.  However, the beam cannons from Earth never fired on them like the mission said they would so enemy ships can't get destroyed there.

Well, at least you were able to play to Mission 30 :D So you are already through the first chapter ^^.

AFAIR this was the only mission i was not able to solve in my playthrough without cheats 15 years ago, because SCP broke the Artillery feature Retail had back then. And that was used and required for this mission.
So i am actually interested, if this can be reused in SCP today :).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 02:08:04 pm by Novachen »

Offline CT27

I am actually not sure if it's worth it right now, because there are so many errors in this one.

Well, at least you were able to play to Mission 30 :D So you are already through the first chapter ^^.

AFAIR this was the only mission i was not able to solve in my playthrough without cheats 15 years ago, because SCP broke the Artillery feature Retail had back then. And that was used and required for this mission.
So i am actually interested, if this can be reused in SCP today :).

Actually, I looked in the tech room and there was a mission 31 so I had to die 5x in mission 30 to progress.

Maybe if someone ever redoes that mission, change it to Mjolnir cannons?

Offline CT27

Also, on "Intercept Maneuvers" (the mission in chapter 2 where you have to destroy a large cruiser convoy), I successfully completed the mission and got success text in the debriefing...but there was failure music and text that said I left without accomplishing orders (however I was still able to progress).

EDIT:  I have no idea how to complete mission "In The Nebula Ring" (the one in chapter 2 where you have no shields and try to disable an Andro cruiser) and it may be broken.  After I disable the Andro cruiser, the Malevolence doesn't head straight for it...it goes past it for a while and the "dock to" timer on the Malevolence target display begins to increase.  It doesn't head straight for the Andro cruiser until the Andro reinforcements come in.  Unfortunately they destroy the Malevolence after it has docked and before it can leave with the Andro cruiser.  Plus, Command tells you not to fire on the Andros at all or even approach the reinforcement cruisers (when I tried to I couldn't even get in Stiletto range to snipe their front beam turrets).

The Malevolence barely got a scratch from Shivans in the mission so I can't really do better there.

It should probably be fixed so the Malevolence jumps out immediately after docking with the Andro cruiser otherwise I don't see how the mission can be beat.

Any thoughts Novachen?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 01:06:31 am by CT27 »

Offline CT27

I just managed to complete the game.  After that mission I mentioned in the last post ("In The Nebula Ring"...which I finally managed to get past because I violated Command's orders and sniped the Andro reinforcement cruisers' front beams), I encountered no game breaking errors.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter

I am sure that wrong debriefing conditions are present in nearly every mission.

Maybe if someone ever redoes that mission, change it to Mjolnir cannons?

Actually, there are 12 Mjolnir Cannons in the mission. Far out of bounds, ~1.000.000 Kilometers. So their beams simply does not have enough range.

Also, on "Intercept Maneuvers" (the mission in chapter 2 where you have to destroy a large cruiser convoy), I successfully completed the mission and got success text in the debriefing...but there was failure music and text that said I left without accomplishing orders (however I was still able to progress).

This is a mission i changed previously. I simply used the wrong mission objective as a debriefing condition.

EDIT:  I have no idea how to complete mission "In The Nebula Ring" (the one in chapter 2 where you have no shields and try to disable an Andro cruiser) and it may be broken.  After I disable the Andro cruiser, the Malevolence doesn't head straight for it...it goes past it for a while and the "dock to" timer on the Malevolence target display begins to increase.  It doesn't head straight for the Andro cruiser until the Andro reinforcements come in.  Unfortunately they destroy the Malevolence after it has docked and before it can leave with the Andro cruiser.  Plus, Command tells you not to fire on the Andros at all or even approach the reinforcement cruisers (when I tried to I couldn't even get in Stiletto range to snipe their front beam turrets).

I actually even did not survive the first stage of the mission :lol: That is way tooooo hard on Insane.

For the Dock problem, maybe that is caused through the new MVP models, had only to change the Docking Points in the mission to get it working.

And because the Andro-Terran Cruiser Wing appear through mission time and not after the actually docking, so the Malevolence simply took to long. Most of the events in the missions i have checked so far are solely based upon the actual mission time and not on actual happenings. And that cause problems in situations like this, which include the case if the player need too long for a specific action.

But well, i fixed all of the reported bugs.

So thanks for the report.

BETA 7 Changelog
• Added a new ship: GTS Hygeia#NonSupport that is used when Hygeias in a mission are not intended to be a support ship.
• Added a new weapon: Zeuson Orbital. An Orbital version of the Zeuson Beam with a range of 1.000.000 Kilometers.
• Changed Weapon: TAG-D has now a cooldown time of 45 Seconds.
• Changed Mission: "...and hunted" 029-revenge.fs2
-- Marana Ritoutes is using the Afterburner now to get to the Node faster.
-- Changed the GTS Hygeia to GTS Hygeia#NonSupport to prevent problems if support is requested.
-- Fixed Debriefing stages
• Changed Mission: "Out of the Blue" 030-revenge.fs2
-- Instead of 12 Mjolnirs there are only six of them, now.
-- Changed their Weapon to Zeuson Orbital, so that the targets are now in range.
-- Changed a message to explain, that it takes 30 seconds after the tag, before the Orbital cannon fire.
-- Created a new message to give information about the Tagging of the GVC Geka.
-- Changed some positions of the targets, because otherwise a well-placed TAG-D was able to destroy 4 of the 5 targets in one shot.
• Changed Mission: "Steal the fighters" 035-revenge.fs2
-- Changed the GTS Hygeia to GTS Hygeia#NonSupport to prevent problems if support is requested.
• Changed Mission: "Taxi!" 036-revenge.fs2.
-- Changed the GTS Hygeias to GTS Hygeia#NonSupport to prevent problems if support is requested.
• Changed Mission: "In the nebula ring" 057-revenge.fs2
-- Rebalanced and partly recreated.
-- Events are reorganized to be much less based on mission time instead of actual happenings.
-- The player and the wingmen have to fight a constant stream of shivan fighters and bombers, which make this mission more time critical, because it has to be finished before the strike force will be overwhelmed by Shivans.

DOWNLOAD:
Revenge 1.1 BETA 7 on FreeSpace Files (428 KB)
Google Drive Mirror - MediaFire Mirror

OLDER CHANGELOGS:
Spoiler:
BETA 6B:
• Corrected Debriefing Stage requirements in revenge-004.fs2.
• Changed the allow-ship SEXP to an add-tech-ship SEXP and corrected the class from GTVA Marco Polo to GTVA Colossus in revenge-006.fs2.

BETA 6:
• Revised revenge-001.fs2.
• Changed Timings and additional AI goals. Also the HoL cruiser will now actually blockade the Node in front of it.
• The Cargo will now only be destroyed if the Triton dies.
• Corrected Requirements for the Debriefing stages.
• Partly recreated revenge-004.fs2.
• Changed Timings and reordered events.
• Delete Omicron wing and instead all Hippocrates are own objects, what gives more flexibility in Events and Goals and also prevents strange course corrections by the AI if Omicron 1 dies.
• Fixed the requirements for the old and added two new debriefing stages.
• One Bonus goal.
• Changed AI orders for the HoL fighters and bombers.
• Return to Base directives for both missions.

BETA 5:
• Revenge-049.fs2 got some improvements.
• GTVA Marco Polo was changed into a GTVA Colossus Class that uses an Alternative Name.
• GTD Orion (old) ship class changed into the Retail GTD Orion#2 (Bastion) ship class with an Alternative Name (well actually it does not appear in any mission and is unused)
• All missions with a GTVA Marco Polo ship class were changed so that the GTVA Colossus class is used.
• Deleted the revenge_mv-shp.tbm in favour of a changed mv_root-shp.tbm from the MediaVPs 3.8.1 that was adapted for Revenge weapon names.

BETA 4:
• Revenge-058.fs2 got some improvements.

BETA 3:
• Revenge-017.fs2 got changed mission objectives and debriefings.
• Revenge-018.fs2 got changed mission objectives and debriefings.
• Chapter-1.fc2 was fixed so that it is not possible to continue the campaign anymore even the player fails the beforementioned missions.

BETA 2:
• weapons.tbl was translated from german to english. Now you will actually know, what weapons are available here.
• Revenge-060.fs2 was fixed.
• GTVA Marco Polo shows now the Colossus Radar Image.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 09:58:01 am by Novachen »

Offline CT27

Since this campaign is still in Beta, may I make two suggestions

These are fairly plot important missions  so most of my message will in in spoiler text.

1-
Spoiler:
  There is a mission in I believe chapter two where you destroy a Lucifer in Andro space for the first time.  It has the Marco Polo and an Andro destroyer present.  Basically there's no gamebreaking errors, however it just feels very tedious because it's just those ships firing on the Lucifer (while you destroy a bunch of fighters) for around 15 minutes.  If the structure of the mission is going to be simple, could the time of it be reduced?

2-
Spoiler:
One of the final parts of chapter 3 involved you and the MP chasing down five Lucifers.  That stretch of four missions is virtually identical and playing basically the same mission four times in a row is kind of boring.  Could that be lessened any? 
How about this: reduce it to three missions by having the Lucifers decide they need to get to Earth much quicker?  After you destroy the second Lucifer, the three remaining Lucifers decide to make a longer jump to Earth but this crash jump destroys one of the remaining three in the process.  That would remove one of the missions that's a mirror image of the others and you could still get that 'last' mission with the two Lucifers at one time near Earth.
Again, this isn't a gamebreaking error, but it could make the campaign more concise.

I don't have the names of those missions with me right now, but if you know what I'm talking about and change could be made/you're okay with it, I could get you the names and #s of the missions.

listen we difnt make it
so ask real maker

listen we difnt make it
so ask real maker

The real maker is actually unlikely to appear ever age here.

yip but still

Offline CT27

I'm sorry if I offended anyone.  I do appreciate the work put in on this campaign by you all here.