Author Topic: Capship combat models  (Read 4321 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: Capship combat models
Sure, but that's the cheap and easy way out. Having no visual indicator outside of the hud telling you "well, thats 0% now. you can stop shooting it now" is dull.

when-argument any of Weakpoint1 Weakpoint2 Weakpoint3 is-subsystem-destroyed-delay "Boss" "<argument>" explosion-effect

Granted this is only really feasible for single-ship boss gimmicks using this system. Scripting or other solutions will be needed if you want to both use this in more than a couple ships and not bloat your mission with incredibly difficult to debug hacks and repeated events.
Adding an explosion effect doesn't really alleviate the dullness though. The ship will still look untouched.

With that I meant the code that makes the effect optical effect come into place (i.e. saving the impact location of primary weapons).
Yes, I know what you meant. I just don't think thats going to be feasable at all though. Because four fighters can **** out weapons projectiles and create decals at staggering rates. And the coder would need to add a buttload of customizable parameters to these decal effects if they're going to be workable for the modder at all.
Not trying to be a big sour spoilsport here.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Would it be possible to cell fracture the model armor chunks and add them as destroyable untargetable subsystems? With the collide submodel flag weapon hits could destroy the chunks and reveal the inside.
It'll be crazy to do it for a whole capship but it could work for a specific small part.

Would it be possible to cell fracture the model armor chunks and add them as destroyable untargetable subsystems? With the collide submodel flag weapon hits could destroy the chunks and reveal the inside.
It'll be crazy to do it for a whole capship but it could work for a specific small part.

The only ship I remember that ever used exposed interior was Esarais Horizon battleship.

Well it didn't seemed to be a good idea to have this kind of armor effect for fighterweapons anyway. What I'd like to see would be (bit OT) some cool huge/supercap related effects - currently it looks that way: a beam with defined sections fires, creates a cool impact glow and maybe some nice piercing particles, just like one would expect it from other modern games. But after that the surface isn't damaged aside from a fighter-sized particle spew. Same for bombs. Having a weapon-size related particle spew that makes it look like the ship is burning (or atleast dust clouds of vaporized metal) and decals for huge weapons makes much more sense to me than to paint ships as colorful as possible.

Perhaps unrelated, but I've experimented with the death flash cfg a bit to make the death roll of fighters more look like WWII fighters being shot down, leaving behind a trail of fire instead of just more small explosions, with medium results due to the addontional created explosions not being centered.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
It's not that its not possible, just that it'll be a big chunk of work and :effort:. But yeah, untargetable subsystems would be the obvious way to go about setting it up.

Perhaps unrelated, but I've experimented with the death flash cfg a bit to make the death roll of fighters more look like WWII fighters being shot down, leaving behind a trail of fire instead of just more small explosions, with medium results due to the addontional created explosions not being centered.
Sounds neat, can you show it off in a video or something?
Urutorahappī!!

I've added 2 screens from the FS2 intro I used for reference. Maybe it had turned out better if I had used a smoke effect, but it shows the problem I had with this - the explosions are being generated across the entire hull, what makes the trail too wide and you see the individual explosions, so I had to increase the size of the explosions to compensate this. While a certain variance is good, I wanted it to make it look more like a particle spew.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
That still looks pretty cool imo
Urutorahappī!!

I've used a custom effect I made by cutting off the initial frames from an old MediaVP particle spew. I used this also as a custom effect that meets the special impact behavior of beam weapons - it always looked odd to me to see ExpMissileHit1 repeating over and over in various angles.

Still, I consider this a rather failed attempt, but maybe somebody edits this script a bit and makes addontional explosions for fighters centered...

Code: [Select]
Name: GTF Ulysses
Detonation Radius Multiplier: 3.0
Detonation Effects: 7   ---Custom effect
Detonation Multiplier: 4.0