Author Topic: Basic Weapons Balance  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Drewbs

Basic Weapons Balance
Hello all,

I have noticed that when you have a 4+ mechs firing at an enemy mech, even an assault, they go boom real fast. This made me look at the armor/damage balance of weapons. There is a problem here. In battletech 1 ton of armor = 32 points of protection, an Atlas has 19 tons of armor which = 608 points of protection.

HOWEVER, in MC2 max armor is set to 432, which is 71% of BT #'s. This is fine and all... if we also adjust the weapons down to about ~70% of their BT #'s.

Some of the weapons do seem to be scaled while others keep their BT numbers... with a doubled fire rate (which makes their heat index way off).
Some weapons, like Heavy Gauss, are insanely OP as things stand right now. I had a Fafnir chew threw 6 enemy mediums in as many volleys.

Then there is this whole other problem where most of the lights and mediums have proportionately more armor than the assaults do and some of the mechs have notably upgraded weapons from what they are supposed to, while other don't (Marauder v Catapult). (Don't get me started on the poor tanks with their terrible armor and generally reduced weapons load).

It seems like the weapons need an overhaul in damage and fire rate.

Offline zzc

Re: Basic Weapons Balance
I dont think there is a max hardcode for armor? I have set a direwolf to 592 and it survived being chewed up by a whole enemy star, with yellow damage all over. Ordinarily it would have died. So I think values can all be tinkered with to your liking.

===================

Creating new weapons is not as easy as new mechs......

I tried to create a new lrm and it lost its ability to fire from range, being reduced to fire only when the enemy was visually sighted. Copied everything and just added more range.

Offline Drewbs

If you edit the weapons stats, it can all be done in one document. Editing mechs means you have to edit every single mech (+every tank) in the game in separate files and recalculate the base armor distribution for each one.

Many mechs need tweaking anyways (they have Large lasers instead of mediums, mediums instead of smalls, just way the heck more weapons than they should, etc). But on the flip side, many of the weapons are currently underpowered (or overpowered, depending on perspective).

Offline zzc

Probly because there are no medium weapons ingame yet. But with the new minrange and maxrange, it is possible to bring back medium lasers. The old block range mechanism used by M$ in MC2 just would not work with mediums.

Offline Drewbs

No, mediums have always been in game. It was small lasers that were not. Those have since been added in.

The standard "laser" has the same damage and range profile of the medium laser both in Vanilla MC2 and MCO.