Hosted Projects - Standalone > Fate of the Galaxy

Any plans for medals and promotions?

(1/3) > >>

SL1:
I couldn't find a thread about this, so I figured I'd make one.

One of the things I really liked about the old X-Wing games was all the awards you could win. The first game was particularly good about this, because you could actually see them on your dress uniform:

TIE Fighter was a bit of a step back, unfortunately. It would've been pretty fun to be able to fill out a uniform like this one:

So I'm just curious if you guys have anything in mind for decorations.

niffiwan:
We have some decorations, but they aren't anywhere near as nice as what you've posted :) Obviously the 1st is from X-wing but I'm not familiar with the 2nd.

Also, we're currently restricted by what FSO offers, they'd have to go in a "medal case" style format, and I don't think it'd be easily adapted to be a uniform.

Nightmare:
Is that medals window part of the hardcoded interface then? Elseway, would it be possible to work around with some trick like Axems Journal system?

Of course all just speculation and would require tons of work to be implemented, but it's still cool to think about it...

niffiwan:
Of course, how did I forget Axem's stuff!!!

Absolutely yes, we could do whatever we like if we script a new medals interface  ;7

SL1:

--- Quote from: niffiwan on August 26, 2018, 01:24:50 am ---We have some decorations, but they aren't anywhere near as nice as what you've posted :) Obviously the 1st is from X-wing but I'm not familiar with the 2nd.

Also, we're currently restricted by what FSO offers, they'd have to go in a "medal case" style format, and I don't think it'd be easily adapted to be a uniform.

--- End quote ---
I found the second one by googling "TIE pilot medals". It looks like it's from a Star Wars gaming community called Emperor's Hammer. I guess they have a system where members get a uniform and medals for doing stuff. I don't really know how it works.

But it's certainly a hell of a lot better than what TIE Fighter gave you. TIE Fighter didn't even let you see all your medals at the same time. Funny how that game improved on its predecessor in all the ways that are harder to do (gameplay, briefings, story, situational awareness), but took a step back on the purely cosmetic stuff.

--- Quote from: niffiwan on August 26, 2018, 01:35:42 am ---Of course, how did I forget Axem's stuff!!!

Absolutely yes, we could do whatever we like if we script a new medals interface  ;7

--- End quote ---
Wing Commander Saga had a new medal interface. That might be another thing to look at, to see how they did it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version