Author Topic: Brown boxes.  (Read 27728 times)

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Can't you just like, make new reflect maps? I don't see how re-texturing ships is so difficult. .

I'd just open it up in paint.net and recolor, then darken/lighten the reflect map until it looks right. (with PCS2 open in another tap so I can compare changes in real time) It's worked for me before.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 05:49:37 pm by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

You better delete the post before Nyx sees that. :p

Well I tried myself here and there, it's certainly more difficult than that; it doesn't look totally broken so you can just take your chance, but it's a non-professional solution with no 100% success guarantee.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
You better delete the post before Nyx sees that. :p
Behold...
I'd just open it up in paint.net and recolor, then darken/lighten the reflect map until it looks right. (with PCS2 open in another tap so I can compare changes in real time) It's worked for me before.
No.

You don't want to do it.

You really don't want to do this.

And I warned you.

The way to go is to open Gimp an unassemble the -reflect into separate RGBA channels. RGB is your specularity, while alpha channel is your gloss. From this point you can assemble specularity itself by assembling only RGB channels... Then go make your changes to both spec and gloss. For more detail, use this.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Is there no way a classically (pre 2012mvp format) trained modder can editify the cargo container texture into a template style format?

It's "Drone2Cargo3.dds" - not a PBR map yet. There are a few things to watch out for because of the geometery of the .pof.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Is there no way a classically (pre 2012mvp format) trained modder can editify the cargo container texture into a template style format?

It's "Drone2Cargo3.dds" - not a PBR map yet. There are a few things to watch out for because of the geometery of the .pof.

Hail Orph3u5

Kind thanks 👍
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
Ummm, that's the old/current TAC1, I thought we were discussing the unreleased one by Nyctaeus. .  :wtf:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 02:43:34 pm by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline 0rph3u5

the unreleased one by Nyctaeus. .  :wtf:

1) I didn't know there was one.

2) The neco-post is so abigiously worded as to not make that clear.

3) Going back to a version of the asset that is more usable to me as a modder is to me preferable to having the new shiney things (*inset rant about the graphics technology race is a stand-in for a specific kind of toxic behavior commonly associated with cis-males*)

Hail Orph3u5

Don't.

Just. Do. Not.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 04:50:28 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Well... Old TAC1 is not that bad for it's age. And it will fit to NuChronos.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline 0rph3u5

Uhm, if it didn't you wouldn't be doing a MediaVPs thing - as there is mandate for the MVP stuff to fill all functions of the retail assets they are supposed upgrades for.

Were you going for an applause line here? /playfully mean

==================

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam

Uhm, if it didn't you wouldn't be doing a MediaVPs thing - as there is mandate for the MVP stuff to fill all functions of the retail assets they are supposed upgrades for.

Were you going for an applause line here? /playfully mean

I think Nyx meant it would fit aesthetically.  :p

But yeah, the current/old TAC1 is good enough to still get away with using, and since the re-textures pack is for the current/old TAC1, I suppose if you really wanted to use these you could just have the current/old TAC1 model in your mod.

(I'm honestly surprised the Chronos and TAC1 are getting new models, they look fine as they are)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 07:34:30 pm by DefCynodont119 »

Nah it rather means that the cargo fits physically into it. Most freighters would react with much hurt if they were supposed to take bigger things that they can handle.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I mean it will fit geometrically, because new TAC1 share all scaling with current rework and retail model. Old variants of TAC1 will fit to NuChronos on the same principle.

I work on FSU stuff mostly on behalf of Inferno. EA use recolored variant of Chronos with three turrets as EAFr Belus replacement. Also it was requested by Mjn, as Chronos appears frequently in BtA.

In the end I always try to pick whatever is most used by multiple projects [if possible] for mutual benefit or if there is already existing mesh that requires completion. Inferno has priority, but Zephyrus or Fenris does not appear in Inf so it's not always the case.