Author Topic: GGX Lighting Model  (Read 9895 times)

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Hi, it's me, the dude who introduced physically-based rendering to Freespace. FSO 3.8 shipped with the Blinn-Phong specular model which looks pretty good. I adopted it because it was cheap and easy to implement.

However, a lot of commercial games are shipping with more complex specular lighting models. One notably is GGX, popularized by Disney's engineers (https://disney-animation.s3.amazonaws.com/library/s2012_pbs_disney_brdf_notes_v2.pdf), now being used in Unity and Unreal.

GGX is a bit more expensive to calculate than Blinn-Phong but its specular reflectance behavior is closer to reality than that of Blinn-Phong.

Taken from http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/ggx/ggx.htm, the first image shows a highlight from real world chrome values. The second image is GGX. The third image is the Beckmann reflection model (which produces values close to Blinn-Phong)

Here's what it looks like in Freespace:

As you can see, Blinn-Phong has a bit of a stronger falloff than GGX, almost making reflections seem glossier than they really are. GGX allows the reflections a chance to relax a bit allowing for a bit more material expression.

Try it out yourself (Win32 Build Only): http://www.mediafire.com/file/ne7sxlks5v67j7k/ggx_test_win32.zip

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Great stuff, I'm gonna play around with this XD
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Shiny! And this reflection model highlight all the scratches much more. I will try this with proper PBR stuff. Maybe it preserve all custom reflectivity settings better than current rendering engine. Good work, man :yes: !
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Axem

I have some more comparison pics!

First a very rocky asteroid.
Blinn Phong

GGX

Your first reaction may be "huh, not as vibrant" which... it is, but the specular highlight on the asteroid is much less prominent which I think helps sell the "rockiness" of the asteroid.

Next SF Asteroth (I was experimenting with making new PBR textures for some Shivan fighters)
Blinn Phong

GGX

Again your first reaction may be "huh, normal map doesn't pop as much" which.. it doesn't, but if you look at the two rear panels, in Blinn Phong, one is well lit, and the other is just totally dark, only the environment reflection is doing anything. In GGX, both are well lit, and I think gives a better contrast with the rest of the hull.

Basically intensity of the lighting is a little bit less, but you get something more visually pleasing in my opinion. Everything isn't as harsh.

(Also here's a worst case shot of the Asteroth
Blinn Phong

GGX

Hm, I get error 0xc000007b when launch this.  :(

Nvm, copied files from nightly win32.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:54:47 pm by tomimaki »

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Yeah, you'll need the 32-bit dlls for the builds in the OP.

Alternatively, there are 64-bit builds here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ndowfov7417s84h/fs2_open_64-bit_GGX_Builds.zip
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Would I be correct in assuming that an ATI 5770-based card would not support this?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

@DahBlount
I don't like mess both architectures on windows so, thanks to you, I still can stay at 64b only. And I have no idea how to compile builds on windows. :p

@Trivial Psychic
Why not? It doesn't require any new opengl extensions.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Would I be correct in assuming that an ATI 5770-based card would not support this?

It should be able to support it, at least in so far as being able to execute the shaders.

That being said, I strongly recommend doing an update sometime soon, if that is at all possible.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
*snip*
That being said, I strongly recommend doing an update sometime soon, if that is at all possible.
This. Any card that supports OpenGL 3.2 or later can run FSO, but with the advent of Deferred Lighting, Soft Shadows, and PBR, newer gpus are highly recommended.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus