Author Topic: Good games from the last 7 years.  (Read 9993 times)

Re: Good games from the last 7 years.
I'd be ecstatic if it turned out there was one, but most texture upgrade projects are for games that were either extremely beloved or for titles that had an active mod community because of things like multiplayer.  Undying never even had a patch, and while it's built on the Unreal engine, there was no mod support packaged along with it (probably because of the whole "no multiplayer" thing). 

That would really make my day if it existed, but the odds aren't really very good that it does.
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.

Offline Roanoke

Yes there was: "UndyingEd" (though i never tried it).

Was that a seperate installation option or something?  I'd check but I've buried my cd....somewhere.  It's definitely not part of my installation anyways.

I think you had to download it, don't remember, or maybe that was RuneED
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Roanoke

Was that a seperate installation option or something?  I'd check but I've buried my cd....somewhere.  It's definitely not part of my installation anyways.

I just noticed it as an .exe file in my install. Same as FRED2.exe was in the FS directory.

I just noticed it as an .exe file in my install. Same as FRED2.exe was in the FS directory.
Ah, well back in the day I used to delete anything I determined I wasn't using that wouldn't break functionality.  Then I got a gigantic hard drive and stopped bothering, ha ha.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Oh my, let's see the list (this may go back pre-2000, it's all a blur):
-Rogue Spear (the only real R6 sequel; lockdown and Raven Shield are garbage)
-Ghost Recon
-Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe (it's free for download now, google it)
-Deus Ex
-System Shock 2 (OK, yes, pre-2000 but arguably the best FPS/RPG combo ever made, including DX and BioShock).
-HL2 + Episodes
-Splinter Cell series (up to Chaos Theory anyway)
-Battlefield 1942
-Tribes 2
-C&C RA2
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Anyone recall a strategy game where re-supplying your forces (with ammo too) was an issue?

Conquest: Fronter Wars
Very good game. Lots of strategy and tactics.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

I can name a few. Most tactical simulation type games have you resupplying ammo, of course. Probably the most popular game featuring supply are the generals series games (Panzer General, People's General, and about 4 others), although those aren't really sims in my book.

-Splinter Cell series (up to Chaos Theory anyway)

Up to and through, or just up to? If it's the former, I agree. If it's the latter, what's wrong with SC:CT?

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Up to and through, or just up to? If it's the former, I agree. If it's the latter, what's wrong with SC:CT?

Sorry, I should have said inclusive.  Chaos Theory was great.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Zoltan

Freelancer was good, but had little replay value.

Oh, tried Baldurs Gate 2? It may be old, but it's one of the best RPG's ever made.
Oh, the Witcher.

Baldur's Gate II is a must, as is Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Freelancer was good, but had little replay value.

Oh, tried Baldurs Gate 2? It may be old, but it's one of the best RPG's ever made.
Oh, the Witcher.

Baldur's Gate II is a must, as is Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.
If you're going to play Bloodlines, I recommend grabbing this patch and graphics update.  It's in torrent form, since the original host unexpectedly retired from the modding scene and there aren't many mirrors.  This is different from the rather large patches unofficial patches hosted elsewhere, as that isn't so much of a patch as it is a total conversion, adding unofficial content, messing with balance, etc.  This one just fixes the game so it plays as intended, rather then how certain people in the mod community think it should play (Predictably they mucked about with the guns more then anything).

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Arr...just download the PS2 emulator and Saint Seiya - Hades Chapter...damn, it's a great game...pwns mortal combat, tekken and half the other stuff :P
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

World In Conflict
Neverwinter Nights
Freespace Open

LOL you don't have to tell me about Homeworld 2.  OMG that game sucked so badly compared to HW1.

They both sucked compared to:

O.R.B.

Need For Speed Underground 2.

To name a few games I like.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Need For Speed Underground 2.
NFSU2 = Win.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.