Author Topic: RELEASE: Sync  (Read 99956 times)

Offline Lorric

I've found Sync interesting so far. Unfortunately, I'm kinda stuck.

On the mission "Downfall", where the gang are in the nebula investigating the "signal", I keep flying around trying to find the green blip. There doesn't seem to be anything there. I can literally fly through the radar blip and nothing happens. Is there a bug, or am I missing something important?
Sorry I can't help with your problem. I'm just thinking big campaign I haven't seen or heard of before, will you be reviewing it?

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
If I can finish it, I'll do a double review of Sync and Transcend. It might take a week or so to write- College and all- but it'll come.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Lorric

If I can finish it, I'll do a double review of Sync and Transcend. It might take a week or so to write- College and all- but it'll come.
Transcend is one I have heard the name quite a lot. I googled Sync and I see they are related. I'll be looking forward to it! :yes:

Good luck with passing the mission. You could always skip it if you must with 5 failures.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Transcend is one I have heard the name quite a lot. I googled Sync and I see they are related. I'll be looking forward to it! :yes:

Good luck with passing the mission. You could always skip it if you must with 5 failures.

I thought of that, but
A. I wouldn't find out what that blip is supposed to be- and its probably important to the plot.
B. It's hard to die on a level with no enemies- I could keep afterburning into the
Spoiler:
allied corvette
but that would take forever, esp. with a a slow, armored herc. Five times? I'd rather not.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Lorric

Won't it let you jump out? Just jump out 5 times?

If you have to pass by failing, you can always have another go at it from the techroom after you clear the rest of the campaign.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Spoiler:
Actually, it won't. I get the "Jump Drive Disabled" message. And THAT, at least, is not a bug, my drive is supposed down at that point in the plot.

Offline Lorric

Hmmm...

but that would take forever, esp. with a a slow, armored herc. Five times? I'd rather not.

Time compression. :)

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Wasn't there a renewned version somewhere? If you can't complete the mission and you want to resume so badly, you could kill yourself five times, then the game gives you the opportunity to resume with the next mission.

Figured it out. Turns out I had somehow zoomed the radar in so I could not see the flashing bit on it that I was to investigate and being in a nebula I could not see a thing. Oops, I feel like such an idiot!
@insanebaron try this

@Lorric you never played Sync as in the classic mindbending FS campaign inspired by homesick? :wtf:
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Lorric

He said he's flown through the blip though, not that he can't find it. Oh and Baron, if you go down the failure route, remember to switch on Insane difficulty. That and time compression will tear your ship up very quickly.

@Lorric you never played Sync as in the classic mindbending FS campaign inspired by homesick? :wtf:
"The classic mindbending FS campaign inspired by homesick" that I've never heard of until today.

The last post of this thread is 4 months before I signed up.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
You can always press ctrl-shift-S in the techroom to unlock all remaining missions in the campaign.
Here's a better solution. It'll save you all the heartbreak of sending yourself to hell five times over.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Lorric

You can always press ctrl-shift-S in the techroom to unlock all remaining missions in the campaign.
Here's a better solution. It'll save you all the heartbreak of sending yourself to hell five times over.
Only if Sync doesn't have red alerts and nothing in it that is influenced by earlier campaign progress.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Wasn't there a renewned version somewhere? If you can't complete the mission and you want to resume so badly, you could kill yourself five times, then the game gives you the opportunity to resume with the next mission.

Figured it out. Turns out I had somehow zoomed the radar in so I could not see the flashing bit on it that I was to investigate and being in a nebula I could not see a thing. Oops, I feel like such an idiot!
@insanebaron try this

I kamikazied five times to complete "Downfall", only to get stuck again a few missions later on "Purpose Calling".

On "Downfall", radar wasn't the problem; I had the radar on infinity range and I could see the green blip. The problem was, I flew to the blip and there was nothing there.

On "Purpose Calling", it's a different problem. I can find the source of the radar blips: (a couple Shivan fighter wings and...
Spoiler:
some large capship that I can't see enough of to identify
. Trouble is, I can fly around them, shoot them, ram them, lead my wingmen to them, et cetera, and nothing happens. No "Oh no, Shivans!", no "Let's get out of here!"; the ships stay stealthy and my allies ignore them. Whatever was supposed to happen when I found the shivans isn't happening.

EDIT: Wait... I tried "Downfall" for the Xth time, and this time I wandered around more. The reason I didn't find anything at the blip is...
Spoiler:
The blip is a Knossos. I should have though of it earlier: the briefing on the next mission revealed that it was a Knossos, but of course on a knossos there's nothing at the center blip.
However, I still can't complete the mission, for the same reason that I can't complete "Purpose Calling": I can fly right to the thing and nothing happens. it seems like it was the same problem both times. Ransom, if you're there, any idea what the problem is?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:14:45 am by InsaneBaron »

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
I've had the bug with the Sathanas in the nebula. I can fly to it, but the mission will never progress after that point. The same goes for the mission where you first run into the Knossos, but it's a bit of dialogue that's where it never progresses. Not sure what's going on.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
I've had the bug with the
Spoiler:
Sathanas
in the nebula. I can fly to it, but the mission will never progress after that point. The same goes for the mission where you first run into the
Spoiler:
Knossos
, but it's a bit of dialogue that's where it never progresses. Not sure what's going on.

Further attempts at completing these two missions have failed to yield results. I wonder if downgrading to an earlier FSO build might help? What build was Sync made for?

@BritishShivans: I think we should keep the identity of the radar blips spoiler-tagged.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova

Further attempts at completing these two missions have failed to yield results. I wonder if downgrading to an earlier FSO build might help? What build was Sync made for?

@BritishShivans: I think we should keep the identity of the radar blips spoiler-tagged.

I think the
Spoiler:
Knossos
would probably be better spoiler-ed, but the Sathanas is pretty damn obvious, even if it hard to see. But yeah, I think the problem here isn't anything to do with the mod itself; I think something in the newer builds must break some of the missions. Last version I played Sync with, 3.6.18, worked pretty fine IIRC. I managed to finish the campaign on that build.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2

I think the
Spoiler:
Knossos
would probably be better spoiler-ed, but the Sathanas is pretty damn obvious, even if it hard to see. But yeah, I think the problem here isn't anything to do with the mod itself; I think something in the newer builds must break some of the missions. Last version I played Sync with, 3.6.18, worked pretty fine IIRC. I managed to finish the campaign on that build.

That's weird then, cause I'm also playing Sync on 3.6.18_NO_SSE. When I get the chance I'll try switching to 3.6.12, see if that has anything to do with it. Something I should have mentioned: I'm playing with SDM's upgrade version, as downloaded here:
http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.743
and the SDM version is optimized for 3.6.12

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Any input? Anyone? We still kinda need help here!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Did you try switching to .12?

How about posting a few log files, just in case?

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Did you try switching to .12?

How about posting a few log files, just in case?

Thanks, Jr2. I finally got back to my computer after 3 days with just my laptop. I downgraded to 3.6.12, and "Downfall" actually seems to work. I'll try "Purpose Calling" in a minute; here's hoping!

EDIT: It... worked. I beat Sync... wow...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 08:51:44 pm by InsaneBaron »

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
@Lorric: Review is up! Not quite as entertaining as my last few- Sync was somewhat harder review material than ST:R or AoA- but I saved most of the fun for the upcoming Transcend part, since I like Transcend better.