Author Topic: RELEASE: Sync  (Read 99851 times)

Hey guys. I've learned about FS Open for a week or so now and I’ve already finished Transcend (cool campaign, really nice) and Derelict on a retail FS2 version. And now after installing 3.6.9 I started my second campaign the Sync, but I've run into some problems. After checking all the high memory options from the launcher I've started Sync and guess what, Lightspeeds nebulas don't appear, the Ships are the same, no eye-candy like I saw in Transcend for example. But the most serious of all after I played some missions into the campaign I've met a big problem. In the mission where the Persistence appears (after the anomaly) and she destroys the Vasudan cruiser (K...something), I seem to have no picture. I start the mission and everything is black and I see only the hud. If I want to target something it does it but only for a fraction of a second and if I go full speed I can hear the engines powering up but the speed indicator remains still. Also the enemies don't attack me so I’ve waited the whole mission like that until it tells me to go into subspace. I engage my subspace drive but when I’m supposed to jump nothing happen and the sound of entering subspace remains.

Help!!!!!!!!!

well, first of all:

Welcome to the HLP Station. Exits are located to the right, left, up, down, and 4th-dimensionally. However all of them are blocked, except the 4-d one, and no one's yet figured how to reach it. Somebody says there is anoter one in the 5th dimension: if you find it, let us know! In the event of a landing of any kind, you can and will be used as a flotation device. We are currently suffering from technical problems from time to time, which may cause the lights go out at any instance, and sometimes even the basic life support fails for some time. At these times, stay calm and composed; for these cases the station system automatically drops a computer from the roof above you with FSO installed and ready. They have independent power sources. Please keep all appendages within the installation at all times. Do not feed the resident Shivan Carl as he will become voracious and chew your leg off. You can find him in the ventilation duct. Throw him your lunch and hope he is not hungry and leaves you alone. Flamethrowers can be found under your seat but due to financial constraints have been re-filled with holy water. Phased Plasma rifles (40 watt range of course) can be found in storage lockers. To prevent act of n00b, however, these can only be opened by Moderators, Volition or a hyperintelligent shade of BluE. Please remember that any attempt to use the ASCII characters 0046h, 0053h, and 0033h in sequential order will result in you being trampled by the whole FreeSpace community. Your trampled remains will be fed to Carl so that the rest of us don't have to carry around so much food for lunch. If you shall go in the Vasudan section of the station and find a boxes labelled “Headz”, please don’t open them, unless you are a Vasudan. Trust me on this one.... In the event of catastrophic hull failure please board the nearest lifeboat which is pre-programmed for autonomous flight to our sister station the Game-Warden outpost. Thank you and enjoy your stay at Hard Light station as long as you will!

second:
:necro:

third:
for the black screen: I had a similar problem with some other campaigns. i solved it restarting the mission with a lower graphics level.
Steadfast  Project Member

INFERNO: ALLIANCE

Thanks for the welcome. I'll try what you suggested, but do you know why the eye-candy is not working. In Transcend high graphic quality worked but in Sync and Homesick (tried both) you think it's the retail version.

Edit: I've tried with all kinds of graphics levels. even the lowest of all and still didn't work. Read somewhere on the forum that if i edit the mission and remove the "red alert" from the briefing it would work, but I've never played around with FS modding and i have no clue how to do that.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 08:31:53 am by Anakin_Sky »

strange.
in this case, i have no idea of what the problem could be. i haven't played homesick and transcend, so i can't compare them with sync.
to remove the red-alert from a single mission is easy from fred (mission specs), but to remove it from a campaign may be more complicated, because you have to extract the missions from the VP and then to put them back into it...
i suggest checking if you have all the sync-VP files and then waiting for somebody more experienced than me to give you a better answer.

damn, that welcome speech gets longer every time i see it

no, it's always the same... and the longer in HLP (probably)
for the next welcome i'll make it even longer, if you want...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
strange.
in this case, i have no idea of what the problem could be. i haven't played homesick and transcend, so i can't compare them with sync.
to remove the red-alert from a single mission is easy from fred (mission specs), but to remove it from a campaign may be more complicated, because you have to extract the missions from the VP and then to put them back into it...
i suggest checking if you have all the sync-VP files and then waiting for somebody more experienced than me to give you a better answer.

No; just extract it, modify it, then put it into the \FreeSpace2\Sync\data\missions directory (if it doens't exist, create it).  The extracted, modified file will override the one in the .vp  Use VPView (available via Tools section of Turey's Installer, see my siggy) to extract it.  Use Notepad or FRED2_Open to edit it.

does this work for every campaign and also for other files like ship models?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

thanks, this will solve some of my problems

I got it and it worked although three missions later in the nebula when you find the raikan another bug comes up. I'm beginning to think that it's something wrong with my build. After it sends me to look after the cargo(where i have to call Alpha 3 myself to see it otherwise he flys in circles) they say to get back to the persistance but when i do nothing happens.

It was something i was doing. I gave some order to alpha 3 by mistake and it disrupted the waypoints.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 06:10:33 pm by Anakin_Sky »

anyone beam him yet?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
well, first of all:

Welcome to the HLP Station. Exits are located to the right, left, up, down, and 4th-dimensionally. However all of them are blocked, except the 4-d one, and no one's yet figured how to reach it. Somebody says there is anoter one in the 5th dimension: if you find it, let us know! In the event of a landing of any kind, you can and will be used as a flotation device. We are currently suffering from technical problems from time to time, which may cause the lights go out at any instance, and sometimes even the basic life support fails for some time. At these times, stay calm and composed; for these cases the station system automatically drops a computer from the roof above you with FSO installed and ready. They have independent power sources. Please keep all appendages within the installation at all times. Do not feed the resident Shivan Carl as he will become voracious and chew your leg off. You can find him in the ventilation duct. Throw him your lunch and hope he is not hungry and leaves you alone. Flamethrowers can be found under your seat but due to financial constraints have been re-filled with holy water. Phased Plasma rifles (40 watt range of course) can be found in storage lockers. To prevent act of n00b, however, these can only be opened by Moderators, Volition or a hyperintelligent shade of BluE. Please remember that any attempt to use the ASCII characters 0046h, 0053h, and 0033h in sequential order will result in you being trampled by the whole FreeSpace community. Your trampled remains will be fed to Carl so that the rest of us don't have to carry around so much food for lunch. If you shall go in the Vasudan section of the station and find a boxes labelled “Headz”, please don’t open them, unless you are a Vasudan. Trust me on this one.... In the event of catastrophic hull failure please board the nearest lifeboat which is pre-programmed for autonomous flight to our sister station the Game-Warden outpost. Thank you and enjoy your stay at Hard Light station as long as you will!

second:
:necro:

third:
for the black screen: I had a similar problem with some other campaigns. i solved it restarting the mission with a lower graphics level.

anyone beam him yet?

woops, thought that was someone else.

Offline Nuclear1

Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Did the Red Alert removal thing work?  I had the same problem, but when I played around with the mission, there was no Red Alert.  I may have extracted the wrong mission, though.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

OK I was modding hte wrong mission.

OK, I finished the campaign, but I'm not sure if I won or lost...  Without spoiling the ending, is this the reaction I'm supposed to have?
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Well, it was supposed to end in a cliffhanger if that's what you mean.

You wanna see the rest of the story, bug Ransom in to making Sync 2 sometime. :p
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"