Author Topic: Galactica re-re-imagining  (Read 15101 times)

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Re: Galactica re-re-imagining
I loved 4.5, especially the music.
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Jangiri

while some of the parts of the show were better than others the whole show was on a standard higher than most sci-fi shows. so stop nagging about what you didn't like about the show on a forum that is more or less of a fan forum. let's agree it is not as bad as season 2 of heroes.

Offline Bilal18

BSG was perfect in every way possible. Best TV show ever.

So say we all

At least they don't have to try and integrate the silly finale into this.

Honestly, it's like B5. They completely killed any possible meaningful continuation with that ending.

Continuation? Who needs a continuation. B5 was a story that went from A to B.

Then JMS forgot how to write and came up with Crusade instead

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Crusade had potential, but then succumbed to combination of executive meddling and getting screwed by the network.

I could link to that site, but I won't.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Narvi

Honestly, it's like B5. They completely killed any possible meaningful continuation with that ending.

I prefer universes where it's possible to see that life goes on outside the main story that's presented. That is to say, where it's not only the heroes of the main arc who do heroic things.

You could have done that with B5, if JMS hadn't decided to go for the "how future historians see the heroes" style as well as
Spoiler:
the whole "humans becoming supersquidbeings"
ending, where any possible continuation will lose its dramatic impact since we know how it ends.

I mean universes like Macross or, hell, even Freespace.

Offline Locutus of Borg

Freespace would make an interesting TV show because it isn't character centric.  :yes: :yes:
We are the Borg

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries

I prefer universes where it's possible to see that life goes on outside the main story that's presented. That is to say, where it's not only the heroes of the main arc who do heroic things.

You could have done that with B5, if JMS hadn't decided to go for the "how future historians see the heroes" style as well as
Spoiler:
ending, where any possible continuation will lose its dramatic impact since we know how it ends.

I think the worst thing JMS ever did was get a hard-on for A Canticle for Leibowitz (the inspiration for that awful season 4 finale).
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Spoiler:

Well. I'm watching B5 right now again and I'm reminded of how much better it could've been had everything fallen into place. The original ending, as far as I understand it was supposed to be the War without End Episodes. Worst thing that happened to that show was losing Sinclair and picking up Sheridan, it screwed up all the story points they put into season 1 regarding Sinclair and everything Sheridan does is less profound because of it since he's basically just a lock stock replacement. Though I heard Sinclair's actor got cancer or something so obviously had to stop working on the show.

As for the episode in question. Well. I wonder if JMS would have even made the thing. The REAL season 4 finale show is the last episode of Season 5. That's why Ivanova is in it while she's not in the rest of Season 5. Babylon 5 was always intended to be a five-season show but there was some doubt as to whether there would be a season 5 so they had to cram everything into season 4 and then when they got renewed again they had very little for Season 5 so it sucked hard. And part of the renewal for Season 5 was a need to make a new Season 4 finale and thus that episode is born. That episode is interesting though admittedly not my favourite.

Sigh. What could've been . . . .

Why do all the good shows get canned or screwed? (ie Firefly, B5) while lack luster shows continue (Star Trek etcetera).

Even Battlestar, quite honestly could've used more of a roadmap. Seems like the writers didn't know what they were doing through most of season 3 and 4. All this build up and very little in the way of pay off. I liked it a lot more than other people I know, but still could've been better. Highpoint of BSG is the Pegasus-arc with Admiral Ro Laren.  She was awesome.  ;7

Offline Locutus of Borg

Spoiler:

Well. I'm watching B5 right now again and I'm reminded of how much better it could've been had everything fallen into place. The original ending, as far as I understand it was supposed to be the War without End Episodes. Worst thing that happened to that show was losing Sinclair and picking up Sheridan, it screwed up all the story points they put into season 1 regarding Sinclair and everything Sheridan does is less profound because of it since he's basically just a lock stock replacement. Though I heard Sinclair's actor got cancer or something so obviously had to stop working on the show.

As for the episode in question. Well. I wonder if JMS would have even made the thing. The REAL season 4 finale show is the last episode of Season 5. That's why Ivanova is in it while she's not in the rest of Season 5. Babylon 5 was always intended to be a five-season show but there was some doubt as to whether there would be a season 5 so they had to cram everything into season 4 and then when they got renewed again they had very little for Season 5 so it sucked hard. And part of the renewal for Season 5 was a need to make a new Season 4 finale and thus that episode is born. That episode is interesting though admittedly not my favourite.

Sigh. What could've been . . . .

Why do all the good shows get canned or screwed? (ie Firefly, B5) while lack luster shows continue (Star Trek etcetera).

Even Battlestar, quite honestly could've used more of a roadmap. Seems like the writers didn't know what they were doing through most of season 3 and 4. All this build up and very little in the way of pay off. I liked it a lot more than other people I know, but still could've been better. Highpoint of BSG is the Pegasus-arc with Admiral Ro Laren.  She was awesome.  ;7

Getting a little contradictory there.  You don't like Star Trek, but she's admiral RO LAREN!?!
We are the Borg

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
One doesn't need to like shows in order to like characters from them.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline newman

True. I loved 7 of 9's tight bodysuit, while hating everything else on Voyager :D
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Um...Enterprise got canned.  After the season when it had become really good. :p

Getting a little contradictory there.  You don't like Star Trek, but she's admiral RO LAREN!?!

Actually I like Star Trek. Except for Voyager, Enterprise, and Deep Space 9.
So in other words TNG and TOS and the new movie.

I watch the latter three, but they continually fail to impress me.

Even Enterprise with its . . . what was, Xindi plot was rather boring. The space combat is quite frankly a bunch of ships firing the same **** at eachother, just different colours. Red Beams, Blue Beams, Green Beams, all the same boring crap. The Cast is interesting and the show has potential but I don't think it ever really delivered for me.

And Star Treks continual need to justify everything and revisit old plots is equally annoying. Like, "oh we created a race of Klingon-human hybrids to explain old make-up" or "oh here are the supermen again, and guess what Data's grandad is involved". Give me a break. It's like massive amounts of catering to the fans and some inane need to create continuity or to explain poor FXs (just like the stupid episode in TNG where they learn everyone's genetically related).

DS9 is supposed to be good but every time I tune in I keep thinking Babylon 5 did the same story much better. And I don't like Sisko, his voice and mannerisms are so bland and annoying. Actually the only characters I really like are Dax, Julian and Odo. And Julian gets killed and Dax gets replaced by some other chick so . . . meh. Whatever.

Voyager. Well. I don't need to go into that. I don't think I like any character on the whole ship, though 7of9 is easy on the eyes.

I'm just so sick of shows where they have some basic premise and nothing else. Give me a story with a definite beginning and end and I'll enjoy it 10 times more. But networks for whatever, don't like serials.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:43:44 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline newman

And Julian gets killed and Dax gets replaced by some other chick so . . . meh. Whatever.

? Julian survives for the whole show. You sure you watched all of it? DS9 is utter crap for the first 2, 2 and a half seasons, then it really picks up. Problem is, people will have given up on it before that. The first two seasons don't really have a continuing storyline and are basically trying the same thing as other trek but from a station. Later on they have a continuing storyline and it starts to work much better. While the first part of DS9 I find as some of the worst trek ever, the later part I find the best trek has to offer. They actually make a long term continuing story work later on, and finally it's trek without a ship exploring the "unknown", which usually translates into the fact that every week they'll find yet another alien species with a bit different pattern on their forehead, and most problems can be solved by diverting power or explained by subspace distortions.. As much as I liked TNG, it suffered from this badly. Not as badly as Voyager, but still.
Of course, none of it can compare to BSG or Firefly.. :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 03:45:26 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah but I will agree that pretty much everything DS9 did, B5 did better.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

And Julian gets killed and Dax gets replaced by some other chick so . . . meh. Whatever.

? Julian survives for the whole show. You sure you watched all of it? DS9 is utter crap for the first 2, 2 and a half seasons, then it really picks up. Problem is, people will have given up on it before that.

The doctor? Okay. No I thought I read somewhere that one episode suddenly he's been replaced by a changeling spy and he died somewhere. Maybe I heard wrong. I haven't seen an episode without him in it, but I haven't seen a LOT of the series.

Offline Locutus of Borg

Spoiler:
He is really in a Dominion prison camp. He comes back with Garak and Garak's father and everybody is happy.
We are the Borg

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

There isn't enough frelling love for Farscape in this thread of dren.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

There isn't enough frelling love for Farscape in this thread of dren.

That's because the DVDs are like 200 dollars a season and I can't bloody-well afford to watch them.