Author Topic: Alien Swarm free on Monday  (Read 20044 times)

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Re: Alien Swarm free on Monday
What's wrong with taking a sentry turret on Landing Bay? On Hard and especially Insane you really need some sort of fortification if you wish to survive the last portion. Besides, the game actually encourages you to use a sentry turret at that point.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline mxlm

They really do work well as crowd-clearers.
Admittedly, I've not tried with them, but I'd be shocked if they maintain their utility on hard and insane. I love the prototype rifle on normal; on hard it's significantly less useful; on impossible I never bother with it.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Admittedly, I've not tried with them, but I'd be shocked if they maintain their utility on hard and insane. I love the prototype rifle on normal; on hard it's significantly less useful; on impossible I never bother with it.

I carried them for the only two hard missions I've tried so far. They did okay, but not as good as they were. They're probably useless on insane, but then a lot of the stuff is.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
What's wrong with taking a sentry turret on Landing Bay? On Hard and especially Insane you really need some sort of fortification if you wish to survive the last portion. Besides, the game actually encourages you to use a sentry turret at that point.

There's a sentry turret in the last welded room, so you're wasting inventory space.  And doing Landing Bay without welding behind you is silly.  It's like shooting yourself in the foot before running a marathon.

And with a good team, you don't even need the turret on hard difficulty. :/

--

The PDWs are still effective crowd clearers on hard.  I haven't tried them on insane.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

There's a sentry turret in the last welded room, so you're wasting inventory space.  And doing Landing Bay without welding behind you is silly.  It's like shooting yourself in the foot before running a marathon.

I knew about the sentry and the welding, but wtf is this "good team"? Where do you find it?

Well, I just played a SP game last night to learn the ropes. What do you suggest for a total noob who barely knows how to reload and switch weapons?
EDIT: P.S. On Steam, my name is Typhoid. Like the fever.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:05:58 am by Scourge of Ages »

Offline mxlm

I knew about the sentry and the welding, but wtf is this "good team"? Where do you find it?

Easy, you round up the group with which you play l4d on a nightly basis and go play swarm instead.

How...how many ammo crates do you carry?
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter

There's a sentry turret in the last welded room, so you're wasting inventory space.  And doing Landing Bay without welding behind you is silly.  It's like shooting yourself in the foot before running a marathon.

Welding in Landing Bay is unnecessary. You are wasting the only secondary equipment slot you have. And if you don't want to waste that slot and and still get that turret, you'll need to make 3 trips instead of one through the in between rooms to get a welder and keep what secondary equipment you wanted. Then you'll have to make again 3 trips instead of one between the room where you wanted the turret from and the final part of the level. All those trips are very very annoying, especially on Insane where you don't want to be anywhere near an alien. Instead of wasting all that time, it's better to bring your own sentry and be done with it. It's not like the anyone but the Medic and some guy bringing ammo have anything better to bring along.

To me good play is about minimizing mistakes, if that involves bringing a damn turret along (and if my experiences in Insane tell me anything, make that two turrets) so be it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 03:09:51 am by Ghostavo »
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
we should totally play together as a group. Us HLP-ers.

There's a severe lack of teamwork.
The last map is difficult without a good team. Twice I had all organization fall apart when the bomb is activated. The idiots ran around, taking the long way, not sticking together and running headlong into parasites. Naturally, I was the only one to reach the shuttle.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
How...how many ammo crates do you carry?

On Landing Bay?  None.  So long as you don't take the pump-action shotgun or tesla cannon, you should be able to hold them off at the choke point.

--

Welding in Landing Bay is unnecessary. You are wasting the only secondary equipment slot you have. And if you don't want to waste that slot and and still get that turret, you'll need to make 3 trips instead of one through the in between rooms to get a welder and keep what secondary equipment you wanted. Then you'll have to make again 3 trips instead of one between the room where you wanted the turret from and the final part of the level. All those trips are very very annoying, especially on Insane where you don't want to be anywhere near an alien. Instead of wasting all that time, it's better to bring your own sentry and be done with it. It's not like the anyone but the Medic and some guy bringing ammo have anything better to bring along.

To me good play is about minimizing mistakes, if that involves bringing a damn turret along (and if my experiences in Insane tell me anything, make that two turrets) so be it.

Running back and forth between areas is suicidal (though not necessarily fatal), on any difficulty.  The best strategy is to move quickly, and seal off the passages behind you.  In areas where that isn't possible, it's still best to move quickly and get out of the spawn-trigger areas (which is why going up the middle of the bridge level is silly, you hit all of the triggers).

The welder is unnecessary on Landing Bay (it's a 'must have' on Cargo Bay and the bridge level, though), but it makes the zerg rushes a lot easier to deal with.

--
DISCOVERY:
The Technician adds his engineering bonus on to welding tasks done by other players.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Well, I just played a SP game last night to learn the ropes. What do you suggest for a total noob who barely knows how to reload and switch weapons?
EDIT: P.S. On Steam, my name is Typhoid. Like the fever.

If you're part of the HLP steam group you can probably just drop in to a game one of us is part of.

The key points are to stay with your squadmates and be prepared to run like frak when they do. Shooting accuracy better than 50% is optional but welcome. :P

A Feddie Story

Offline mxlm

Also try to avoid murdering your squad.

Although that time when I killed two of my buddies with my vindicator, we still managed to complete the map on hard. Yay.

Also try to avoid murdering your squad.
Lol, I played a few games with a pick-up group, and on the level where everyone has access to the flamer (residential?) the high-level leader told us all to take it. And I accidentally friendly-fire'd him to death. Then we all died.

Offline mxlm

I presume you have since learned that the alt-fire on the flamethrower is an extinguisher?

I presume you have since learned that the alt-fire on the flamethrower is an extinguisher?
Well, I knew that at the time, I just didn't do it enough. For some reason I expected to be like the pyro's airblast, with a one-puff-extinguishment.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Can't you...roll to stop yourself from burning?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
No, that actually does not work, but you can use the extinguisher on yourself, though it is kinda difficult (I've done it myself).
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
God, I miss having a competent team. I'm trying to get that Outstanding Execution by playing on Normal, but the quality of players there is bad. Really bad.

A Feddie Story

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I'll play with you! :D
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline mxlm

I tried joining you (at least, I'm assuming you're Night, Mr. Mayor), but you had noes slots.

Oh, sure, I could have tried messaging you, but who does that?