Author Topic: Freespace 2 FTP Server - HOTU 2 Full  (Read 175680 times)

Offline Fractux

People tend to come in waves for this stuff, and both the FTP and my eMule Queue have been full for a few weeks.

Added the ed2k links to the ISO's for those who want them.

Cheers!
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Hi

Do I need to get sparky_fs for the HOTU version or just sparkyhi_fs?

I thought I had everything I needed but the game wouldn't run, so i tried going through step by step again and discovered that it was when I deleted the files in the data folder that related to sparky_fs that the problem occurred.  

However, this file is not in the SCP list of those which are not included in  the HOTU version so I had assumed I would only need sparkyhi_fs.  

Also, is it actually possible to patch the HOTU version up to 2.1?  I tried, (immediately after installing the HOTU version), but got the error that the 'old file was not found.  A file of the same name was found but as the contents did not match the patch could not complete' or words to that effect.

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.  Cheers.

EDIT:  It's okay - I've found the answer to my first question in another thread along with a couple of other answers:

1. yes, I do need to get sparky_fs2 as well.  

2. yes, it would have been a good idea to browse the other threads first!  

3. yes, this probably wasn't the right place for this post!

Apologies!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 03:32:31 am by 2607 »

Offline Fractux

Hey NP Brulleks, glad you got it figured out.

Cheers!

And :welcome:

On another note, since I linked to the ISO images i've seen the number of sources skyrocket from 16 to 73 for each file as of today.

Definitely shows how popular this still is, and the potential.

Cheers!

Offline PeeBee

Hi Fractux,

I've downloaded your cd1.iso and cd2.iso files, since i can't get the Hotu version + Vp files etc. i've downloaded to get to work in 1024x768 mode. I thought i'd try my luck with the .iso files. Only now i discovered during installation that there should be a cd3. Unfortunately, your post contains 2 similar links to cd2, and none to cd3. Could you please post a link to a cd3.iso file? I would be very grateful.  Thanks! PeeBee

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Can't help you with the link but if you choose to not install the Act 2 or Act 3 Command Briefings you might be able to play the first 9 missions without it asking for CD3.

That should hold you over until you can get hold of it. When you do you can then copy the Tango2 and Tango3 vp files across to your HD.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Fractux

Thanks for pointing that out PeeBee. Fixed.

:welcome:

And stick around, HLP has a lot to offer to your FS2 experience, and the folks are nice too.

Cheers!

Offline PeeBee

Oh I'm really beginning to love this!

Thank you very much for your suggestion, Karajorma! I onderstand you run the Oracle as well/ great job you're doing out there!

And then of course Fractux, thanx bigtime for helping out so fast. And thank you again for uploading etc. for this great game and the SCP!

Yes, really nice people here! greetings from PeeBee

Offline Navck

Anyone able to make a torrent for this? eMule hates my firewall.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I remember someone releasing a torrent with all the missing files but no matter how many times I've looked I can't find it again.

So here's a torrent for the whole game instead ;)

Im realy having a lot of trouble with this. I have tried connecting multiple times but I can never get through. Im a total noob, I just downloaded FTP Voyager to get these files. I saw the first post had a status moniter but all I get is the little IE "red X" where the picture should be. Thanks for the help if you can.

I keep getting this over and over again.
STATUS:>   Connecting to "gaming.smoothkruger.ca" on port 21.
ERROR:>   Connection closed by the server.
ERROR:>   Unable to login

Does this just mean the server is full?

Edit: Well I got connected to the server but now every time I try to download anything I get:

STATUS:>   Connecting to "gaming.smoothkruger.ca" on port 5959.
ERROR:>   Connection closed by the server.
ERROR:>   Unable to login

Wow why is this so friggin hard??
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 09:30:41 pm by 2669 »

Well, I've given up on the HotU of this game. What a goddamn hassle and waste of time. Honestly, its great that you set up that FTP but damn it was literaly impossible for me to get any files- it was THAT busy.:doubt:
Ah well thanks anyway. Ive started a torrent of the full ISO's
( btw the one posted by Karajorma doesnt work for some reason, try here: http://www.torrentspy.com/search.asp?mode=torrentdetails&id=133074 )

You want to know the saddest part? I had both games in mint condition with all the original **** but about a 2 years ago I came home to find almost all my electronics robbed and the rest of my house vandalized. I cant realy remember why I didn't pick up replacements... Its damn ****ty world we live, I tell ya....

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You mean this one? http://prototype24.ath.cx:6969/index.html?filter=Games

Let me check. Hmmm. looks like you can't actually download the torrent file. Odd.

Anyway I'll try to grab it from your link and seed it myself :)

Oh and we ought to bring back hanging for anyone who vandalises copies of FreeSpace :D

Yea, the button to start the torrent was just grayed out, which is really odd because it shows that there are other people DLing and seeding the file....

Anyway, I was just wondering, I dont use bittorrent that often - what are the chances my 2gig download will be corrupt?

Offline PeeBee

Hi Karajorma, (or anyone else who has the answers to my q's)

It has been a few weeks since my last... ehrm... post! Just post. Nothing to confess really, apart from having played fs2_open like a madman the last couple o' weeks. My 6 year old son keeps begging me to play it every day and of course I let him; we make a great team, flying 1 ship with 4 hands!

I have 2 little questions:

1 I would like to view the cutscenes ingame. I've already downloaded the .avi's. In the Oracle I read I have to (among other things) update my campaignfile. Unfortunately the provided link

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/freespace/Downloads/FS2_Open-WithMovies.zip

is dead. Could you point me to a valid 1?
(I also noticed that currently there is no file in the missions folder, except 2 'backup' files.)

2 If I want to choose a mod in the Launcher I get the message 'Mod directory name can't contain space'. It hasn't! Honestly! I'm using fs2_open_3_6_5 and Random Tiger's Launcher5 (Oddly designated version 4.0.0.0) and have placed a folder named 'bwo' (for playing Blackwater Ops, obviously) containing the proper data, in my main fs2 folder. Of course I can replace the data folder every time I want to play it, but maybe you know a solution. I've searched on the forums but  'twas in vain...

Greetings

What's your main FS dir?
You might want to try a newer FSO build, unfortunately, I can't point you to the SCP forum right now because, well, it's gone for a few days. We're using some other forum in the meantime. http://scp.indiegames.us/news.php is where you can find a lot of resources, plus a temporary forum.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by PeeBee
It has been a few weeks since my last... ehrm... post! Just post. Nothing to confess really, apart from having played fs2_open like a madman the last couple o' weeks. My 6 year old son keeps begging me to play it every day and of course I let him; we make a great team, flying 1 ship with 4 hands!

Glad to see you're training them young :) We've already got one member who'd had his son take over for him :)

1 I would like to view the cutscenes ingame. I've already downloaded the .avi's. In the Oracle I read I have to (among other things) update my campaignfile. Unfortunately the provided link

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/freespace/Downloads/FS2_Open-WithMovies.zip

is dead. Could you point me to a valid 1?
(I also noticed that currently there is no file in the missions folder, except 2 'backup' files.)

That's my bad. The file became obsolete quite a while ago so I removed it. If you have anything newer than 3.6.5 then you should be able to play the cutscenes simply by sticking them in the main Freespace folder.

3.6.5 unfortunately has a bug which prevents it from playing movies but this build of Taylors which I regard as a bug-fixed 3.6.5 will play the movies for you.

If I want to choose a mod in the Launcher I get the message 'Mod directory name can't contain space'. It hasn't! Honestly! I'm using fs2_open_3_6_5 and Random Tiger's Launcher5 (Oddly designated version 4.0.0.0) and have placed a folder named 'bwo' (for playing Blackwater Ops, obviously) containing the proper data, in my main fs2 folder. Of course I can replace the data folder every time I want to play it, but maybe you know a solution. I've searched on the forums but  'twas in vain...

Greetings

I've heard this one several times but I can never remember the cause. Does the folder you installed FS2 to contain any spaces? for instance "c:\program files"

Offline PeeBee

Thnx 4 those Karajorma, I will try instantly. Yes, my games-drive is called Program Files. Renaming it would result in lots of programs not knowing where to get their files, I guess... but I'll try.

I'll get back to you as soon as it's clear whether the suggests work.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'd suggest reinstalling FS2 to a folder with no spaces in the path rather than simply renaming the path (which as you say would cause a lot of problems).

Offline PeeBee

Yep! You are very right...:nod:

Edit: :yes: I've installed fs2 and the _open version you pointed out on a 'non-spaced' disk and likewise folder and hey, presto! I can play mods the way it's meant to be. Great!

Only strange thing left is, I can now view the Intro and Colossus cutscenes from within the techroom, but not Bosch's 1st monologue. I can hear him plauder along when I press 'play' but all I see is the same available-cutscenes-listing (I only got this far after starting over a few times) :confused: So I don't know whether I will be able to see the other movies..... however this is far less important than the mod issue.

So Karajorma, let's consider this case closed (unless you have any more suggestions). When I've finished the main campaign, I'll probably try to do some online playing and most probably be put to some new puzzles. I look forward to it.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 02:04:25 pm by 2616 »

Offline PeeBee

Kasperl,

Only just now saw your reply on the former page. I'll check them new files right away!

Thanks,

PeeBee