Author Topic: War in Heaven Preview 2  (Read 16670 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: War in Heaven Preview 2
Sushi! A master Freespacer.
But not a FreeSpacer by any means. :P

Though to be perfectly honest, I always found the Kulas completely out of place. As if it was thrown in as an afterthought.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's a bloody civilian ship!

To be honest, though, it's not any more out of place than some of the FS2 retail designs.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Not "out of place" as in it didn't fit in with the fleet (well, that as well), but it seemed thrown in. It was never given a big role in any mission, it seemed completely neglected for the most part almost as if it was meant to be ignored or something.

I dunno. Maybe it's got to do with the fact I didn't even notice it until half way through the campaign. :P

I just have to say that I found the Balor to be a total joke.  There is not a single situation in which I wouldnt prefer a Subach, or better yet, a Kayser or Prometheus S.  I also didnt care for the fragility or lack of maneuverability on the Aurora, so I found myself flying mostly the Perseus throughout the campaign.  This, however, should not come as a surprise, as I am a huge fan of interceptors.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Wait, wait...how seriously did the Balor get nerfed, Darius? We might want to consider pumping it up just a wee bit again if that's the general feeling.

Wolfen, in the original BP release, the Balor was an incredible piece of equipment.

Offline Darius

Hahaha...not nerfed to the point of being useless. I guess it depends on your style of play. The Balor outputs damage per second equal to the Subach, but has the advantage of being rapid-fire, which is useful when you're fighting nimble craft or need to take down bombs.

Feedback has been both positive and negative regarding the Balor, but it definitely shouldn't have been as strong as it turned out to be in the initial release.

Offline Qent

As far as I can tell, the (latest) Balor is to the Subach as the Avenger is to the Prometheus in FS1: slightly softer on the hull but much better at dropping shields and also more efficient. I did not realize just how much it has been nerfed, though. :eek2: (Now I'm wondering what old version of Blue Planet I have unpacked in here....)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The problem is that if we make it too strong then the GTVA fighters in War in Heaven are just going to blow the heck out of everything.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Well, I'm thinking that it should be more powerful than the Subach at the very least.
Otherwise it wouldn't really inspire so much terror as the prose entries would indicate...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You'd be surprised. Even in its current form, it's pretty deadly on Medium, and on Insane it's just a nightmare to fly against.

Maybe a wee bit of a buff is in order, however...perhaps a sorely-needed ROF increase...?  ;7

IIRC when I played BP:AoA, before the nerf, the balor had the DPS of a Kayser with longer range and not nearly as much energy consumption. That would be murder to fly against...

I imagine the the Balor and the Maxim would be the biggest problem for UEF pilots to cope with.

Offline eliex

I did a small FREDding test based on the BP Balor in relation to other weaponry:

Original BP Balor: 4 Myrmidons fully armed with Balors pitted against against 20 unmodified Basilisks all on General AI.
Result - A ratio of 10:1 losses for the GTVA.

Current BP Balor: 4 Perseus fully armed with Balors pitted against 12 various GTVA fighters (without Balors) all on General AI.
Result - All Perseus were destroyed, but only 3 other attackers were left alive, all under 50%.

Then again, the Balor is only the beginning for the UE . . .                   

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Well the UEF get some pretty 1337 toys to play with as well  ;7

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Maybe a wee bit of a buff is in order, however...perhaps a sorely-needed ROF increase...?  ;7

With an updated sound, that would be cool.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I just loved the old balor.. I haven't downloaded the new fixed version of AoA just to keep the original one, it just makes the game fun. Also I don't see myself making my way through Forced Entry or Keepers of Hell without the original balor.
el hombre vicio...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I can with confidence state that it is still possible.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

Hopefully you'll like the UEF fighters in WiH a bit more. The Kulas and Aurora have both grown on me a bit (I believe those are the only new fighters...?), and I think that the Aurora at least fits in rather well with the aesthetic. The Kulas is a repurposed civilian design, thus the slight deviation.

The Perseus remains sexy and I think it is only enhanced by the Balor cannon.

I still maintain that the sexiest ship I've seen so far is the FTF MiG. It makes even the GTF Ares look a little ... old.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Hopefully you'll like the UEF fighters in WiH a bit more. The Kulas and Aurora have both grown on me a bit (I believe those are the only new fighters...?), and I think that the Aurora at least fits in rather well with the aesthetic. The Kulas is a repurposed civilian design, thus the slight deviation.

The Perseus remains sexy and I think it is only enhanced by the Balor cannon.

I still maintain that the sexiest ship I've seen so far is the FTF MiG. It makes even the GTF Ares look a little ... old.

It's called the Lao Tze in War in Heaven and it's really something to fly.

Offline -Norbert-

With an updated sound, that would be cool.
Actually I like the sound of the balor as it is.

Offline Qent

Ditto. I wouldn't mind an updated bitmap though.